Zeughaus Graz photos
Hi people. There is too much photos to post here so I post my facebook album. It's public, so all should be able to see it. :)

www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10205813114...59fa81ece3
Link edited, the first one didn't work for all.
Wow thanks for these pictures !
So much to comment on I don't know where to start; but the wavy sword (picture 151-152) looks unbelievable :lol:

Anyone actually wanted to fight with that, compared to the other normally shaped blades flanking it -> you have pictures of many two-handed wavy bladed flamberges, but they are likely ceremonial, right?.

So my question is generally about “wavy“ blade-edges -> is it “bling“ or does it have a purpose other than making more nasty wounds, that is harder to heal?
Niels Just Rasmussen wrote:
Wow thanks for these pictures !
So much to comment on I don't know where to start; but the wavy sword (picture 151-152) looks unbelievable :lol:

Anyone actually wanted to fight with that, compared to the other normally shaped blades flanking it -> you have pictures of many two-handed wavy bladed flamberges, but they are likely ceremonial, right?.

So my question is generally about “wavy“ blade-edges -> is it “bling“ or does it have a purpose other than making more nasty wounds, that is harder to heal?

Some of the wavy big zweihanders were obviously parade swords, but I'm not sure about all of them. Wavy singlehander definitely looked like a real fighting weapon. I wouldn't want to speculate about the functional aspect of such edges without any tests done against different targets...
The current Graz collection is a mix of items from the original armouries located in Graz and items from other collections purchased or transfered to Graz in fairly modern times. The Zweihänder that were purchased by the Styrian estates and stored in Landeszeughaus during the late 16th Century were all intended for military use, they were used by small detachments of men assigned to guard the flags and senior officers (i.e colonels & lieutenant-colonels) hence their flamboyant apperance. However by the time the last such swords were delivered into the Landeszeughaus around 1600 they had already become obsolete and other weapons were prefered by the guard detachments serving against the Ottomans. In 1636 the inventory of the Landeszeughaus noted that all of the Zweihänder could be discarded but this was never carried out and over 60 such swords survive in the collection today.

In a way they are fairly typical for the Graz collection in that the unusal weapons that did not see much use survive in far greather numbers than the common weaponry that saw extensive use.
Yes, I noticed that more regular and usual items showed plenty of battle damage. These big zweinhanders didn't have any damage as far as I remember.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: