is this a bayonet?
I also obtained this from the same friend in my other post whose grandfather came from WWII era Italy with framed pictures of Mussolini all over the walls I think it's a German bayonet but I am no expert and I'm probably way off.

It looks rather like a knife sharpener.
Yeah, that looks like knife steel. Plug bayonets usually had a swell behind the cross, and the cross was usually larger.
This is a Knife steel, I have the same in my kitchen. If I remember correctly it was made sometime after the 1950's
Steeling rod (or "sharpening steel"), made by Friedrich Dick, Germany. Probably pre- WWII, maybe turn of the cent., guessing from the patina and the shape&size (although hard to judge by the pic quality). Is there a ring for hanging the tool at the end of the handle? There was when new, most likely, but I've seen many with these broken off.

If the wood is sound, and the ring is intact... it's probably worth about ten, fifteen bucks retail at an antique shop (maybe a good barter item if you're savvy...).

BUT (and everybody I know has a big, well...)!

F Dick Knives is still around, and has been world famous since the late 18th cent for its excellent quality professional knives and especially, it's steeling rods! If you cook, know someone who cooks, etc, this would be a pretty awesome gift. A big, thick one like that was probably meant for the butcher's bigger blades, and the one I have has burnished the edge on my Del Tin warsword to scary sharp many a time. Basically I'm saying, 'tho its monetary value is low, it's a great tool that will outlast us all, don't dust bin it or grind it into a dagger if you can help it!

Best,
Eric
Thanks for the help Eric ( and everyone else (but mostly Eric) very useful information. The ring at the end is still intact and the wood handle is still very solid. I actually dug this and my two fencing swords out of hiding in hopes I'd be able to trade them for a samurai sword but now I'm having my doubts but I guess we shall see.
Thomas Walsh wrote:
... I actually dug this and my two fencing swords out of hiding in hopes I'd be able to trade them for a samurai sword but now I'm having my doubts but I guess we shall see.

Sorry to rain on that particular parade. Did you have your eye on a genuine Nihonto, or a modern piece for Iaido, Tameshigiri, or something like?

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: