Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Decorated Bardiches? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Bennison N

PostPosted: Sat 24 Jan, 2015 10:01 pm    Post subject: Decorated Bardiches?         Reply with quote

Hi all.

I am having some trouble finding examples of Bardiche polearms which have been decorated in any other way than having holes drilled through them or cross shaped holes cut into them.

Does an engraved, etched, carved or otherwise embellished weapon even exist? I need (ideally, anything will do) mid 15th C to mid 16th C.And Turkish, if you've got it?

And if it does, do any of you guys have photos of this Bardiche or these Bardiches?

Thanks everyone.

"Never give a sword to a man who can't dance" - Confucius

अजयखड्गधारी
Mark Griffin

Location: The Welsh Marches, in the hills above Newtown, Powys.

PostPosted: Sun 25 Jan, 2015 1:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

nothing European springs to mind. they are a basic weapon for the simpler and less moneyed fellow so etching and engraving would be a bit out their league. But who knows....
Currently working on projects ranging from Elizabethan pageants to a WW1 Tank, Victorian fairgrounds 1066 events and more. Oh and we joust loads!.. We run over 250 events for English Heritage each year plus many others for Historic Royal Palaces, Historic Scotland, the National Trust and more. If you live in the UK and are interested in working for us just drop us a line with a cv.
Boris Bedrosov
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 25 Jan, 2015 5:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Try to find some pictures of inventory numbers W 4888 and W 47 (older numberings PC 5024 and PC 5026) from the Museums fur Deutsche Geschichte, Berlin GERMANY.

Although a bit later compared with your target of interest (end of 17th C/beginning of 18th) , the decoration of these two Russian bardiches comprizes of similar engraved fight-scenes between a dragon and a horse (on both surfaces of the blade) and stylized flower-motives around the shaft-hole.
Both weapons could be found in the great "Europaische Hieb- und Stich-Waffen" (European Cut- and Thrust Weapons) book.

Unfortunatelly, my scanner is out-of-order - although always reluctant to do this, I would scan these bardiches for you.

"Everyone who has the right to wear a long sword, has to remember that his sword is his soul,
and he has to separate from it when he separates from his life"
Tokugawa Ieyasu

Find my works on Facebook:
Boris Bedrosov's Armoury

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Decorated Bardiches?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic