Arms & Armor Irish sword
Does anyone have any experience with the A&A Irish sword? How is it handling properties? etc

there are not many reviews out there and I want to know any opinions on it.

thanks
I love mine!

I do not have a lot of experience with western weapons, but I have a bit of background in JSA. Have not been able to cut with it yet because of some recent wrist surgery, but it is very nimble and well balanced. The pommel was larger than I expected, but this is a nice pivot point for balance, and it does not get in the way of the grip at all. It is solid, no wiggle which one might think from the design. The cross guard is solid and not at all overlong. All in all it is very smooth. It is light, but not dainty at all. The blade is a good cutting shape I think. No fuller. It's a quick sword!

It feels faster than my A&A Anglo-Saxon and my Albion Senlac, but these are all very different types, so other than being one-handed swords I don't suppose that is a useful point.

If you like this style of hilt, I would recommend it! If there is anything else I can tell you, let me know. I would also like an Albion Gallowglass, which is a hand-and-half,for comparison. I like the ring-hilt style. I also looked at Irish Arms, but I remember when A&A introduced the Irish Sword many years ago and have wanted one since. Lucky I got one here in the marketplace.

Actually A&A is working on a scabbard for it, so I'm excited about that. Maybe when that gets here I can do some cutting and a regular review. But you will have yours by then, right? :D
Thanks for info. That helps alot. I do hope to get one in the next year or so. Will have to save up. After getting an Albion and some A&A swords this past year I have to build up funds again.

I am very fond of the Type XVIII blades and this sword has peak my interest. It appears to be a great sword and your post is confirmation of that.

I would like to see how it cuts so you might be able to get it done before I get mine since I have some time.
I must say I love mine. It was my first "real blade" I bought and I put it to the test, I was in the market for a custom and wanted to make sure sure A+A made more than a wall hangers. So I called A+A inquiring about their products, while doing so Craig answerd the phone. I had asked him if I could pay extra to increase the quality of the sword (materials and craftsmanship) I cannot remember exactly how he replied, but I believe he said " kid you haven't done much research on us have you" and I had told him how I did not want something that looked like a sword I wanted the real deal, we talked some more and I had explained that this would not be a display piece. I had told him that I was buying a sword to test his craftsmanship, he began to laugh. I explained that i was gettig the sword to break it, I needed to know it was authentic in design and was a strong as possible, when I told him that he again burst into laughter, and said, " how bout this, if you break it send it back". That was it, I became determined to break it with simulated use. Long story short I almost broke my wrist trying to prove him wrong (couldn't wright at work for weeks). Not only that, the day I picked it up I knew It was special, the balance was perfect, it feels so unlike anything else I had ever owned. I was breathless. So light, so fast, a true marvel. All i can say is if your looking for a sword, your search is done, look no further, trust in A+A and look no further. Just so you know I got the custom search type x Hand and a half. It is exactly what I had asked for.
Lance Carter wrote:
I must say I love mine. It was my first "real blade" I bought and I put it to the test, I was in the market for a custom and wanted to make sure sure A+A made more than a wall hangers. So I called A+A inquiring about their products, while doing so Craig answerd the phone. I had asked him if I could pay extra to increase the quality of the sword (materials and craftsmanship) I cannot remember exactly how he replied, but I believe he said " kid you haven't done much research on us have you" and I had told him how I did not want something that looked like a sword I wanted the real deal, we talked some more and I had explained that this would not be a display piece. I had told him that I was buying a sword to test his craftsmanship, he began to laugh. I explained that i was gettig the sword to break it, I needed to know it was authentic in design and was a strong as possible, when I told him that he again burst into laughter, and said, " how bout this, if you break it send it back". That was it, I became determined to break it with simulated use. Long story short I almost broke my wrist trying to prove him wrong (couldn't wright at work for weeks). Not only that, the day I picked it up I knew It was special, the balance was perfect, it feels so unlike anything else I had ever owned. I was breathless. So light, so fast, a true marvel. All i can say is if your looking for a sword, your search is done, look no further, trust in A+A and look no further. Just so you know I got the custom search type x Hand and a half. It is exactly what I had asked for.

Craig is a very patient and understand gentleman. :) :p
Did you check out the review on Tritonworks web-page?

By the way, this one is 10% off today at A&A. I suspect (but cannot guarantee) they might still honor the sale if you e-mailed them before the clock strikes midnight.
J.D. Crawford wrote:
Did you check out the review on Tritonworks web-page?

By the way, this one is 10% off today at A&A. I suspect (but cannot guarantee) they might still honor the sale if you e-mailed them before the clock strikes midnight.

Actually I did see it and ordered it yesterday with the 10% off. So it should be here after Christmas!

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: