Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search

myArmoury.com is now completely member-supported. Please contribute to our efforts with a donation. Your donations will go towards updating our site, modernizing it, and keeping it viable long-term.
Last 10 Donors: Daniel Sullivan, Anonymous, Chad Arnow, Jonathan Dean, M. Oroszlany, Sam Arwas, Barry C. Hutchins, Dan Kary, Oskar Gessler, Dave Tonge (View All Donors)

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Danish inspired Oakhott Type XVIIIe (and other things) Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Scott Roush
Industry Professional

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Tue 16 Dec, 2014 1:30 am    Post subject: Danish inspired Oakhott Type XVIIIe (and other things)         Reply with quote

Here is a sword that I've wanted to make ever since seeing Albion's 'Dane'. This was a commissioned sword and had some input from the patron who wanted the leather on the ricasso as well the leaded bronze pommel. The weight is 3 pounds 4 oz and total length is 55 inches. POB about an inch from the guard. The blade is forged from a combination of hearth steel (refined from bloom), shear steel and modern steel. The cross is steel with 'forge fire' finish. The grip is old growth white oak salvaged by divers from lake Superior. The pommel is leaded bronze was cast from local native float copper (found naturally as a metal).

And me saying goodbye to one of my favorite swords that I've made"

Also.. not sure if I ever showed this axe I recently made...

Scottish dirk athame knife (for Morrigan worship). This knife was commissioned and the blade is cold-forged, hammer-hardened wrought iron. An important factor for the buyer. The grip is old growth black oak from the muds of Lake Superior and brought up by divers. Mineralized like bog oak.

Also.. Some Tolkien inspired work. Morghash... an orc knife. This is a collaboration with Jai Mather.. an excellent craftsman and friend (https://www.facebook.com/Thyrthweorc). Jai rough forged the blade and will be making the scabbard for it. My idea for the design was to make a knife that believable in terms of the historical, real-world connections from which Tolkien drew his inspiration. So .. a seax.. with black and gold theme. The runes say Morghash and are the wrong runes. I will be changing those to the runes used in the hobbit.. which are considered 'dwarf runes' and more.. hobbitish.

And what I'm calling the Took River knife.. a hobbit's knife. Piled laminate blade, moose and wenge and will come with a scrub oak burl whiskey (tea?) noggin and fork. The noggin holds the sheath in a belt or pack strap. Jai Mather will also be making the sheath for this. The one pictured is temporary.

Both of these Tolkien projects do not yet have patrons so please inquire. I will post again when Jai's work is complete. We will also be working on a ranger and elvish eating knife.. and perhaps Elrond's calligraphy kit with pen knife (I've taken an interest in calligraphy).

And lastly... I do have some things available on my website:

http://www.bigrockforge.com/sugar-cane-cutter/

http://www.bigrockforge.com
Shahril Dzulkifli

PostPosted: Wed 17 Dec, 2014 4:50 am    Post subject: Danish-inspired Oakeshott Type XVIII (and other things)         Reply with quote

This sword may look like the Albion Dane and the difference is that this one has 2 grips whereas the Dane has only one long grip.
Anyway, it looks quite awesome.

“You have power over your mind - not outside events. Realize this, and you will find strength”

- Marcus Aurelius
Bartek Strojek

PostPosted: Wed 17 Dec, 2014 5:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

All this stuff looks pretty much amazing....

Wood in particular, too bad you need divers for such effect. Eek!
William P

PostPosted: Wed 17 Dec, 2014 5:42 am    Post subject: Re: Danish inspired Oakhott Type XVIIIe (and other things)         Reply with quote

Scott Roush wrote:
Here is a sword that I've wanted to make ever since seeing Albion's 'Dane'. This was a commissioned sword and had some input from the patron who wanted the leather on the ricasso as well the leaded bronze pommel. The weight is 3 pounds 4 oz and total length is 55 inches. POB about an inch from the guard. The blade is forged from a combination of hearth steel (refined from bloom), shear steel and modern steel. The cross is steel with 'forge fire' finish. The grip is old growth white oak salvaged by divers from lake Superior. The pommel is leaded bronze was cast from local native float copper (found naturally as a metal).

And me saying goodbye to one of my favorite swords that I've made"

Also.. not sure if I ever showed this axe I recently made...

Scottish dirk athame knife (for Morrigan worship). This knife was commissioned and the blade is cold-forged, hammer-hardened wrought iron. An important factor for the buyer. The grip is old growth black oak from the muds of Lake Superior and brought up by divers. Mineralized like bog oak.

Also.. Some Tolkien inspired work. Morghash... an orc knife. This is a collaboration with Jai Mather.. an excellent craftsman and friend (https://www.facebook.com/Thyrthweorc). Jai rough forged the blade and will be making the scabbard for it. My idea for the design was to make a knife that believable in terms of the historical, real-world connections from which Tolkien drew his inspiration. So .. a seax.. with black and gold theme. The runes say Morghash and are the wrong runes. I will be changing those to the runes used in the hobbit.. which are considered 'dwarf runes' and more.. hobbitish.

And what I'm calling the Took River knife.. a hobbit's knife. Piled laminate blade, moose and wenge and will come with a scrub oak burl whiskey (tea?) noggin and fork. The noggin holds the sheath in a belt or pack strap. Jai Mather will also be making the sheath for this. The one pictured is temporary.

Both of these Tolkien projects do not yet have patrons so please inquire. I will post again when Jai's work is complete. We will also be working on a ranger and elvish eating knife.. and perhaps Elrond's calligraphy kit with pen knife (I've taken an interest in calligraphy).

And lastly... I do have some things available on my website:

http://www.bigrockforge.com/sugar-cane-cutter/

i love the needle design , it reminds me of the sword of durza from eragon,

this enough to slip between a pair of ribs, yet stout enough to hack through the hardest armour"

it just LOOKS like it wants to be halfsworded into someones armour..
Eric W. Norenberg

PostPosted: Wed 17 Dec, 2014 9:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

As usual, Scott, your combined materials and textures on these pieces are fantastic. What's the story with the back of the eye on the axe? Is that a solid chunk of bronze or an inlayed layer? I really dig the look of your maker's mark on it.

Also, we've seen lake-salvaged wood on lots of your work - what's that stuff like to work with? Do you have to stabilize it (or does your source do that) as the wood is dried out from the lake bottom? Or does the mineralization do that? I'd love to get my hands on a hunk of the stuff just to play with..

Best,
Eric
Scott Roush
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 17 Dec, 2014 11:02 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Eric W. Norenberg wrote:
As usual, Scott, your combined materials and textures on these pieces are fantastic. What's the story with the back of the eye on the axe? Is that a solid chunk of bronze or an inlayed layer? I really dig the look of your maker's mark on it.

Also, we've seen lake-salvaged wood on lots of your work - what's that stuff like to work with? Do you have to stabilize it (or does your source do that) as the wood is dried out from the lake bottom? Or does the mineralization do that? I'd love to get my hands on a hunk of the stuff just to play with..

Best,
Eric

Thanks Eric..and everybody else.

As to the diver-salvaged wood.. it's pretty variable. It really depends on how old it was when it sunk and where it sunk. The stuff that went deep into the mud is very, very similar to European bog oak in that it starts to take on minerals and get very hard and dark. When I inlet for the tang I've started using a wooden mallet with my chisel rather than hand-pushing. I've never had to stabilize any of the wood that I've used. I personally only stabilize wood when it is too soft.. and very little of this stuff is.. at least the oak. The company that salvages it dries it.. I'm assuming by kiln drying. Some of these logs are enormous.. as most were cut back when the Great Lakes area was nothing but old growth forest.

The white oak on the sword was throwing sparks and it actually bogged the blade down and overheated the motor. That was the most difficult piece of wood I've ever cut on a table saw.

And the back of the axe eye... I was doing the traditional form of making the eye where you split the back and forge weld together. But before doing that I had the idea of splicing in a piece of bronze. I just brazed it in and did file work for the bronze to flow into. It was an experiment that worked.. and delighted me. :-)

Matthew P. Adams

PostPosted: Fri 19 Dec, 2014 9:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That XVIIIe is beautiful!

I have Atrims version, and the stats are pretty close, my AT1592 comes in at 3lbs 1oz and 52" and it handles like a DREAM, so I can only imagine similar handling.

Stunner!

"We do not rise to the level of our expectations. We fall to the level of our training" Archilochus, Greek Soldier, Poet, c. 650 BC
Michael B.
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 21 Dec, 2014 3:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

As always...amazing. Thanks for continuing to inspire, I love the ulu that you posted too, probably the most useful knife ever created.
www.facebook.com/bearmountainforge2
Michael Bergstrom
Scott Roush
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 22 Dec, 2014 5:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks again folks!

Yeah that ulu was fun to make (and surprisingly comfortable!).. it was actually the cut edge of another Viking axe I'm making similar to the one posted here.

Gossart Pierre

Feedback score: 100%
(1 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Mon 22 Dec, 2014 1:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

a new Viking axe ???? what a surprise ;o)
Scott Roush
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 23 Dec, 2014 4:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gossart Pierre wrote:
a new Viking axe ???? what a surprise ;o)

;-)

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Danish inspired Oakhott Type XVIIIe (and other things)
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic