Sword design, which type and/or era?
Hi,

At the risk of making a fool out of myself, I have a question. I learn about things by drawing them. So, in order to learn more about swords and the various typologies out there, I've drawn a sword based upon various examples of blades and hilts. I've come up with a design (with a lenticular blade) and I'm now wondering what type of sword it would be and in what era it would accordingly be 'dated'.

[ Linked Image ]

Comparing it to Petersen's list of hilt-forms, I would say it would classify as a Petersen type X? I guess the pommel would be Oakeshott brazil-nut type B. Yet, in Geibig's typology, would this be a pommel type 14, 15 or 18?

Would the blade be Oakeshott type X or Xa (or even XII) and what would the blade type be according to Geibig's typology?

And finally, separate from all the 20th century typologies, what would be the most likely time period for a sword like this?

Regards,
J.B.

Attachment: 28.03 KB
Sword Design, line art. [ Download ]

Last edited by Jasper B. on Fri 12 Dec, 2014 12:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
what kind of blade geometry does it have - lenticular?

I say it looks more like a Xa, used in the 11th and 12th centuries
Roger Hooper wrote:
what kind of blade geometry does it have - lenticular?

Ah, yes. I've updated the question; the blade is indeed lenticular.

J.B.
I agree with what Roger said.
Agree with the others, though the curved cross is something that I think may be more common among earlier Petersen type X's...

Apart from the fuller width, the proportions of your sword match very closely with those of X.5 in "Records of the Medieval Sword", which is a 10th century Ulfberht sword.

Attachment: 31.1 KB
Neues Museum, R. Wolkow.jpg
example in Berlin

Attachment: 119.02 KB
example in Stockholm [ Download ]

Attachment: 219.36 KB
private collection, from Danube [ Download ]

Attachment: 20.29 KB
X.5 [ Download ]
Thanks for all the answers! They are hugely helpful.

Mark Lewis wrote:
Apart from the fuller width, the proportions of your sword match very closely with those of X.5 in "Records of the Medieval Sword", which is a 10th century Ulfberht sword.

Is image you link as X.5 the one you refer to in the above sentence? I looks suspiciously like the sword sold at Bonhams (full image). Are those actually the same (is Oakeshott's reference sword X.5 the one sold in auction at Bonhams)?

Also, is the pommel I've drawn Geibig's type 14, 15 or 18? And what type is the blade in Geibig's typology?

J.B.
Jasper B. wrote:
Thanks for all the answers! They are hugely helpful.

Mark Lewis wrote:

Is image you link as X.5 the one you refer to in the above sentence? I looks suspiciously like the sword sold at Bonhams (full image). Are those actually the same (is Oakeshott's reference sword X.5 the one sold in auction at Bonhams)?

Also, is the pommel I've drawn Geibig's type 14, 15 or 18? And what type is the blade in Geibig's typology?

J.B.

Actually, that pommel might even be a Geibig 12...
Jasper B. wrote:
Are those actually the same (is Oakeshott's reference sword X.5 the one sold in auction at Bonhams)?

Yes, they are the same. That auction included quite a few swords from the collection of E.A. Christensen, several of which appear in "Records" and elsewhere... browse through the auction photos and you may recognize a few more old friends!

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: