Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > New Forged In Time dirkProduct Review Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Spenser T.

PostPosted: Wed 19 Nov, 2014 2:41 pm    Post subject: New Forged In Time dirk         Reply with quote

The overall length is a tiny bit over 16 inches
Blade length: 11.25 inches
False edge: 4 inches
Hilt overall length: 4.75 inches
Grip length: 3 and 5/8 inches
Point of balance is just under 2 inches from the guard.
I have nothing to weigh it with at this time.

The main edge and the false edge both arrived at nearly paper-cutting sharp. The leather scabbard looks fantastic and fits the dirk very well; I can hold it upside down without the blade falling out. The grip has a wonderful shape and fits very well in the hand.
It appears that the blade is an atlanta cutlery dirk blade, if FIT does see this it would be good if they could confirm or deny this.

Attachment: 185.54 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 181.87 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 272.83 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 226.91 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 119.95 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 91.51 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 273.01 KB
[ Download ]

Last edited by Spenser T. on Mon 01 Dec, 2014 10:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Shahril Dzulkifli

PostPosted: Sat 22 Nov, 2014 3:52 pm    Post subject: New Forged In Time dirk         Reply with quote

Nice dirk! Wink

“You have power over your mind - not outside events. Realize this, and you will find strength”

- Marcus Aurelius
Spenser T.

PostPosted: Wed 26 Nov, 2014 5:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks! I appreciate you posting the more accessible picture
Lin Robinson

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Mon 01 Dec, 2014 7:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Found your review. Sorry that I missed it before. That is an Atlanta Cutlery dirk blade. The jimping on the back of the blade is identical to the blades I have. Over the last 14 years or so I have noted some subtle variations in the blades I used; for example the jimping was sometimes ground a bit deeper and the false edge was longer or shorter. The variations were not significant but they were there.

I note something stamped on the blade near the guard which I assume is FIT's trademark. IMHO, if I did not make the blade, I would not stamp it with my trademark although I guess there is no rule against it. I did notice that the tang was drilled all the way through the handle and the pommel apparently threaded on, making it a more sturdy knife.

Maple, while commonly used for knife handles in North America, was not available and not used in Scotland. Usually walnut, boxwood, etc. was used. Also many dirks had handles of brass, nickle silver, even pewter and ivory. Stag-hilted dirks were uncommon prior to 1745 but quite a few were produced in Georgian and Victorian times. African blackwood and ebony were quite popular in the 19th c. and later.

I have attached a couple of photos of the dirks I used to make with the Windlass blades. As I am out of the business and the new owners do not plan to stock anything like this I should not be breaking any forum rules by posting it. We asked quite a bit less than $225 for these dirks which we considered entry-level knives, i.e. something for someone new to Scottish weaponry who wanted something to wear on their kilt belt.

You seem happy with the dirk and that is the most important thing. It looks like a well-constructed piece and as I mentioned previously, there is nothing wrong with Windlass dirk blades. If there was I would have found out by now.

Attachment: 24.45 KB
basic dirk 004.jpg

Attachment: 14.76 KB
Basic Dirk 006.jpg

Lin Robinson

"The best thing in life is to crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women." Conan the Barbarian, 1982
Spenser T.

PostPosted: Mon 01 Dec, 2014 10:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you Lin. I assumed that the stamping meant it was made by FIT, but googling the antlanta cutlery blade tells me otherwise.. This strikes me as a rather dishonest move on the part of FIT
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Mon 01 Dec, 2014 10:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Spenser T. wrote:
Thank you Lin. I assumed that the stamping meant it was made by FIT, but googling the antlanta cutlery blade tells me otherwise.. This strikes me as a rather dishonest move on the part of FIT

I think your assumption that the maker created the blade himself was a reasonable one. It's frustrating for me to see this.

For what it's worth, I can also identify the blade as being the very same as the one sold by Atlanta Cutlery/Windlass. It's not a bad blade, but doesn't produce a dirk consistent with antique examples.

Attachment: 13.2 KB
knife-making-supplies_scottish-dirk-blade_951.jpg
Atlanta Cutlery dirk blade

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Lin Robinson

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Mon 01 Dec, 2014 1:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I certainly agree with Nathan's comments about your misconception. The verbiage they use in advertising the dirk on their site, and some other items as well, can convey the idea that they forged the blades; the term "hand forged" for example. Hand forged perhaps but the question remains as "by whom?'
Lin Robinson

"The best thing in life is to crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women." Conan the Barbarian, 1982

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > New Forged In Time dirkProduct Review
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic