Most common type of crossbow in the Late Middle Ages
What was the most common type of crossbow in the Late Middle Ages?
Most common type of crossbow in the Late Middle Ages
I am not sure what was the most common type of crossbow during that period.
There are several crossbow threads somewhere here, try searching for them with a search tool. I haven't really researched them, but I know there is plenty good info here in our past threads...
You can't answer that question without narrowing down the time period and picking a specific region.
I would echo what Dan said, but also add for what purpose? and any other narrowing factors.

As a possibility, it could be that the most common form of bow was a backwoods built sub 100lb low tech rising peg or antler nut, with wooden bow. This could be made in any village and would be great for rabbits or birds. It is also exactly the sort of thing that nobody in antiquity would see any merit in and so would not get preserved or painted.

bows for war and hunting are both interesting and so may be preserved or painted, peasants bows would not. Look at cars today; big 4x4's, flashy sports cars, executive saloons, limos etc are the cars that get noticed, but not the cars that the working man drives, and are massively outnumbered by the working mans cars.

Tod
I was thinking of battlefield crossbows, like what crossbows the Genoese used for example.
What is your definition of "Late Middel Ages"?

I'd say though that wooden would be a fair amount more common than steel through most of this period. There are some records of cities crossbow inventories changing from wood to steel - I don't have or remember the publication but apparently most cities had wood crossbows predominantly as late as the late 15th century.

It's interesting though, if I recall these documents correctly they don't differentiate between wood or composite crossbows - either composite crossbows were not very common, at least in city inventories, or the documents consider composite crossbows and wooden crossbows the same.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: