How where late 13th century long cuisses constructed?
Hi, I'm a relatively new member here and Christmas is coming up, so I've deciding to head to local seamstress to take set to padded arming pants for met so can have a padded garment in which I can point knee protection in which don't have to worry about twisting, slipping and falling during SCA combat, which my current knee protection, ovesized straped in basball greaves,do
I'mlanning in taking a pair of old pants and old belt to the sewer Saturday for sizing but all the picture I could find of long padded protection have been modern ones. I would old manscription pictures,descriptions, multiple angle shots, etc.
Well I don't know of any depiction of a full length one either, but you could perhaps look into the earlier forms of mail leg protection where only the front is covered in mail while the calf is not. Perhaps one of those pictures reveals some info on the construction.

OR this now famous picture might serve as a reference. If full length padding is required it would make sense to take the same pattern and make it full size.

[ Linked Image ]

Another thing that strikes me as interesting is that we rarely see padded leg armor ever worn alone like a gambeson is. It's always either mail or a plain hose (or perhaps I know to little :\ )

[ Linked Image ]

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: