Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search

myArmoury.com is now completely member-supported. Please contribute to our efforts with a donation. Your donations will go towards updating our site, modernizing it, and keeping it viable long-term.
Last 10 Donors: Daniel Sullivan, Anonymous, Chad Arnow, Jonathan Dean, M. Oroszlany, Sam Arwas, Barry C. Hutchins, Dan Kary, Oskar Gessler, Dave Tonge (View All Donors)

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Medievalish RoomDIY Project Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Felix R.

Reading list: 25 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sun 09 Dec, 2012 10:43 am    Post subject: Medievalish Room         Reply with quote

Hello community,

I came up with the idea to better store and present all the medieval stuff that I did acquire over the years. At the moment everything is stored in several boxes or cabinets.

The basic idea started several years ago, but I never found the time or had the impetus to start this.

Basically, I liked the idea to design a room in a medieval style, but with modern material to cut on costs.

The room is in the basement. The floor was first intended to be made up of real oak planks, but that would have needed a supporting structure and thus loosing about 5cm on room height. So I decided to go with laminate in oak style the colour is called sand-brown, which is a nice light contrast to the darker wall paint.

As you can see, the walls have wood panels, so I did screw gypsum fibre boards. These were than plastered small grained cement-chalk mixtures and covered by standard wall paints. At the moment is in some "in between" state, the painting will be completed with diamond shaped patterns and heraldic eagles in the red-zone and different coat of arms in the top line, maybe there will be added something in different sections. The gaps between floor and ceiling will be closed by waxed decorative boards of pine.

Most of the painting is and will be done with a minimum of taking real measurement, to give it the look of natural imperfection, that is seen in so many surviving paintings of that time.

The place is about 10m˛ and will have a bench of oak, which you can see in the work on one of the pictures, and there will be a 180x90cm oak table on tressels. I would like to add an oak chest too. And of course all my arms will be placed in this. The lighting will be mainly oil lamps.

The decorative idea for the wall paint is taken from Schloss Runkelstein in tirol, which is called "Die Bilderburg" or the pictured castle. It has quite well contained wall paintings of the 14th century. There is one picture of on of their wall paintings for reference.

Any additional ideas or recommendations are welcome. I am not well trained when it comes to this type of home work, but I thought it would be a nice idea to share the project, maybe for other to get started and to get some ideas and information of moe knowledgable people.

Attachment: 36.89 KB
MiZi 3.jpg

Attachment: 37.7 KB
MiZi 2.jpg

Attachment: 76.88 KB
MiZi 1.jpg

Attachment: 95.7 KB
4228464-Castel_Roncolo_Bolzano.jpg

Craig Peters

PostPosted: Sun 09 Dec, 2012 4:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I like the idea. Are you planning on adding any reproduction medieval furniture to complete the ensemble?
Gregory J. Liebau

PostPosted: Sun 09 Dec, 2012 5:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Craig Peters wrote:
I like the idea. Are you planning on adding any reproduction medieval furniture to complete the ensemble?

"The place is about 10m˛ and will have a bench of oak, which you can see in the work on one of the pictures, and there will be a 180x90cm oak table on tressels. I would like to add an oak chest too. And of course all my arms will be placed in this. The lighting will be mainly oil lamps."

This is a great idea, Felix! I look forward to seeing your progress. The chosen pattern for the wall paint is subtle yet attractive. Cheers!

-Gregory
Felix R.

PostPosted: Sat 22 Dec, 2012 1:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here is the level two with the basic furniture in rough state. And some of the stuff that can be put on the table.

Attachment: 113.3 KB
IMG_2244_5_6_tonemapped L2.jpg

David Lewis Smith

PostPosted: Sat 22 Dec, 2012 2:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nice job, I am amazed that you filled all of the paneling grooves. That had to be a ton of work to fill and sand
David L Smith
MSG (RET)
Matthew P. Adams

PostPosted: Sat 22 Dec, 2012 7:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Have you thought of a window treatment? Some kind of faux stained glass would keep the 21st century out of view. I really like what you have done so far!
"We do not rise to the level of our expectations. We fall to the level of our training" Archilochus, Greek Soldier, Poet, c. 650 BC
Sean Manning

PostPosted: Sat 22 Dec, 2012 11:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Felix R. wrote:
Here is the level two with the basic furniture in rough state. And some of the stuff that can be put on the table.

Wunderbar, Felix! I agree that something to change how the window looks would be a good finishing touch. Shutters, or a screen with thin parchment spread across it, are medievalish solutions which might not be very expensive or hard to make.
Felix R.

PostPosted: Sun 23 Dec, 2012 1:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you for the comments.

@ David
I did fill the panel grooves just by adding some glas fibre mesh and gypsym, to have a solid surface for the grained plaster. There was not too much sanding necessary. I did just scrape of the recess in ares where there was too much. The plaster does now give the "natural" uneven surface structure.

@ Matthew, Sean

I like the idea with the stained glas window. First I thought of shutters, but as this is one of two windows in that room, the light is an issue. So, maybe some parchment could be a more reasonable solution on the short run.
Michael Ekelmann

PostPosted: Sun 23 Dec, 2012 9:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Awesome. I have room to renovate and you've given me some ideas.
“Men prefer to fight with swords, so they can see each other's eyes!" Sean Connery as Mulay Hamid El Raisuli in The Wind and the Lion
Dorian B.

PostPosted: Tue 02 Jul, 2013 4:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Felix,

Have you made any progress on this project?
Felix R.

PostPosted: Thu 27 Nov, 2014 9:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I did something to the opposite wall. But didnt finish it yet. At the Moment - about 24 months nos, Long Moment eh? - I cant make myself do something else than realx in the eveneings after work.
Shahril Dzulkifli

PostPosted: Mon 22 Dec, 2014 4:20 pm    Post subject: Medievalish Room         Reply with quote

Felix, if your room is finished, do show us its photo. Wink
“You have power over your mind - not outside events. Realize this, and you will find strength”

- Marcus Aurelius
David Lewis Smith

PostPosted: Mon 22 Dec, 2014 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Medievalish Room         Reply with quote

Shahril Dzulkifli wrote:
Felix, if your room is finished, do show us its photo. Wink

Indeed,

David L Smith
MSG (RET)

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Medievalish RoomDIY Project
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic