For Sale: Eichelberger XVIIIC German civilian longsword
This listing is marked SOLD and is no longer available

It is with much regret that I am listing my sword for sale.

I took up HEMA as a hobby earlier this year but sadly have not had the time to devote to study that I would like due to work and family commitments as well as need to scale back my "toys" in preparation for a busy, fiscally tight 2015. I am sure I will be able to take up the hobby again someday, perhaps in a few years when things settle down again. I will also be listing a Pentii+ waster and modern German translation of Joachim Meyer's "Kunst des Fechtens" book.

This sword is brand new, built beginning of 2014, and has never been used to cut ANYTHING while in my ownership...it has held a place of honour hanging on the wall in my studio...I have cared for it and unsheathed it from time to time just to admire it.

It is truly a piece of handmade functional art.

The sword was forged by bladesmith Jeremy Eichelberger of Lewisberry, Pennsylvania. Jeremy has been forging for around 8 years and his dedication and artistry shows in his work. He makes these swords one at a time for the love of it, to keep the art and history alive.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here's some info on this sword straight from Jeremy himself:

TYPE XVIIIC 14th CENTURY GERMAN CIVILIAN LONGSWORD

- Hand-forged using traditional, period-accurate tools and techniques.
- Blade of 1075 high-carbon steel, differentially tempered for optimal edge-holding and shock resistance.
- Fittings forged of mild steel, and lightly aged. Both guard and pommel are individually peened in place.
- Grip of Maple, covered in hemp cord and vegetable tanned leather.
- Scabbard constructed of a wood core of Black Willow, wrapped in vegetable-tanned leather.
- All leather dyed in a traditional manner, with hand-made plant based dyes.
- Scabbard chape hand made from hammered copper.
- Blade is sharpened down the last 2/3 of its length. The first third is left blunt to allow for half-swording and deflection techniques.
- Fully functional in all respects, each blade is fully tested to ensure quality.
- 50% Distal tapering, making the blade wonderfully responsive in handling.
- A light, agile weapon with excellent blade presence through the cut.
- Based on original swords of the period in respect to geometry, form, weight, balance, blade harmonics, and function.

Overall Length- 42.5 Inches
Blade Length- 33 Inches
Blade Width- 2 3/8 Inches at guard, tapering to 1 inch, 4 inches from point.
Center of Balance- 3 Inches from guard.
Center of Percussion- 20 1/4 inches from guard.
Weight- 2.5 Lbs.
Blade Thickness- 6mm at guard, tapering to 3mm at point.

Here's some words from Jeremy answering some questions I had:

"I find this sword wonderfully responsive. This is more the sort of weapon that you would have encountered in street duels and have been used for personal self defense, but it is no whelp at all. The blade is very flexible, so should help teach you proper edge alignment when you are deploying your cuts. Using this blade on bamboo and tatami is not a problem, just be sure to work your way up slowly in thickness with the tatami as your skills at cutting improve. I will warn you, that this blade is NOT your typical sharpened spring, as is the case with makers such as Cold Steel, etc. It will take a considerable flex, but on a very bad cut, the blade is designed to take a slight set rather than crack, just as was the case with the weapons our ancestors wielded. The benefit is that a slightly bent blade can be straitened; a broken blade would most likely get you killed. Again, work your way up in thickness with the tatami. As for blade oil, I use camellia oil. This is the traditional blade oil for Japanese weapons, and is clean and odorless. It is important to always keep the blade oiled, as well as the fittings. The leather as well on occasion but don't over-do it."
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As an artist myself and having a background in restoration work I can say firmly this is the real deal folks. When you spend a great deal of your life trying to understand quality and pursue it you learn to recognize it. Like Jeremy relayed to me, the sword is NOT some 5160 spring steel cleaver/bashing tool made purely for cutting any object you can find in your shed out back.

I remember when I first unpacked this piece of functional art, I sucked in my breath and when I pulled it from the scabbard and waved it back and forth I was immediately transported back to a time when men lived and died by the object I was holding in my hand. This blade sings. It is indeed lively, yet you can feel the balance is such that it will cut powerfully if you want it to.

I find the sword extremely comfortable to wield. It is intended as a historically authentic reproduction of a weapon that would have been used long ago. 100% handmade using the simple, NON-shortcut techniques...as Jeremy's write-up above describes. Made with love is what I would say.

The execution is perfect and yet as you examine the sword the marks of being 100% handcrafted show...the faintest hints of hand tooling, the faint areas of blotchiness on the plant-based dyes used on the leather...it is a handsome, rustic piece. Simple yet elegant...not fancy, yet obviously made with high attention to detail: a fit and finish befitting a sword that would be carried by someone of the middle class or a hedge knight. You will see what I mean if you make the purchase.

If you are as nerdy about things such as HEMA as I am, you will enjoy this purchase if you make it. An Albion sword by comparison is much more "flawless" and "glamourous"...makes sense since they are largely machined...more of a "replica" if you will. Not knocking them, but to me it would be like comparing an original Shelby Cobra to a 'repro' Shelby Cobra...both do essentially the same job, but the repro may use more durable modern parts, whereas the original is/was made with the technology of the day, and the driving experience is that much more raw and satisfying...you follow?

I know I will kick myself if this thing sells. With me not having the time to devote to the hobby though, I can't justify it with the year I have coming up soon and so I'd like to see someone else enjoy this piece.

Jeremy is currently asking up to $900 for swords such as this. I'm offering this one for $750 TYD (to-your-door) O.B.O. I have 100% feedback on eBay, as well as on forums for my other hobby traditional archery, such as Archerytalk and Tradgang. I accept Paypal payments, postal MO, or personal check once cleared. Sword will be shipped well packed via USPS priority mail with insurance.

I want to get this blade into someone's hands who will appreciate it and admire it as much as I have.

Please PM me to inquire. Thanks.

Attachment: 71.72 KB
image_141.jpg

Attachment: 57.66 KB
image_207.jpg

Attachment: 35.16 KB
image_155.jpg

Attachment: 49.99 KB
image_276.jpg

Attachment: 62.99 KB
image_716.jpg

Attachment: 79.02 KB
image_136.jpg

Attachment: 67.92 KB
image_179.jpg

Haha, I just reread my ad...seriously, I'm not knocking Albion blades, they are brilliant and a lot of thought has gone into them...I hope to own one someday myself...I was just trying to convey that this sword I am offering is not something mass produced...it was handmade with a lot of skill and in keeping with the historical ways of making a blade. There are many skilled smiths who are well known out there. I'm hoping Jeremy's work finds a broader audience, the work speaks for itself. Please PM with inquiries.

TTT!

Again, price is $750 shipped (priority/ fully insured) OBO

Make me a reasonable offer, as much as it pains me I would like to move this sword to a good home. I am motivated to move it before 1st of the year.

This is an excellent quality hand forged piece that is 100% made using traditional methods and materials.

Surprised I have not had more interest in this piece, it is hand made in the USA with care, and the proportions and look are classic medieval.

Motivated to sell so dropping the price to $600 TYD OR BEST OFFER. Need to recoup tuition expenses for 2015.

Sold pending funds thanks Will
SOLD

Sold. Thanks Will and enjoy.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: