Valkyrja / shieldmaiden distal taper
Im considering buying a CF shieldmaiden. I didnt find information about the blade distal taper. How is it ? Does it have a moderate or strong distal taper ? Is it a rather stiff or a rather flexible blade ?

How is it compared with early medieval swords like the norman and the bayeux ? And compared with the knight ? I own an albion kmight, so im familiar with this one.

Thx !!
Valkyrja / shieldmaiden distal taper
So Nicolas, have you bought a CF shieldmaiden now?
Only 3 days later? I doubt it. :D But Nicolas, you shouldn't be worried about distal taper and stiffness of a Shieldmaiden. It's a properly designed sword with appropriate distal taper for its type. So stiffness will also be appropriate for its design and function. I guess Knight may be a bit stiffer because it tapers a bit more, but not necessarily. Broad blades like Shieldmaiden can be quite stiff if mass distribution is done well...
Luka Borscak wrote:
Only 3 days later? I doubt it. :D But Nicolas, you shouldn't be worried about distal taper and stiffness of a Shieldmaiden. It's a properly designed sword with appropriate distal taper for its type. So stiffness will also be appropriate for its design and function. I guess Knight may be a bit stiffer because it tapers a bit more, but not necessarily. Broad blades like Shieldmaiden can be quite stiff if mass distribution is done well...

I'm sure it's designed appropriately for it's type. :)

It's just that i'm not sure what to expect from a viking sword. My guess is that it's primarily a cutting sword, so i'm assuming it must have a decent amount of distal taper. But i'm not sure.
Re: Valkyrja / shieldmaiden distal taper
Shahril Dzulkifli wrote:
So Nicolas, have you bought a CF shieldmaiden now?

Not yet. I'M torn between a few Albion sword : Templar, Bayeux, Squire, Baron and Agincourt are all on my wishlist.
The shieldmaiden is number 1 on my list though. I've never owned a viking sword. It would be different than the Crecy and the Knight i already own.
Well, just because a sword is a viking age sword optimized for cutting doesn't say much about its distal taper. Plenty viking age swords had rather little distal taper and some had a lot... I guess Albion viking swords have more distal taper, like better and younger viking age swords...

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: