key hole visor
Hello I am new and have been looking for information on a Italian visor. It has been called the key hole visor by some. I am wondering what year it was made and the loction. Just some basic information would be great. I have see some date it at around 1350 but others say its more like 1370 so please information on the helmet or date and nane or the art would make me a happy man.

Thanks

Attachment: 42.14 KB
4a299cd7c1bf21650230c26d53d88201.jpg

Attachment: 217.48 KB
34db4df201af8beb645e7745a550a353.jpg

Dr. Doug Strong wrote an article on the three extant examples of this visor type a couple years back. Do a search on his posts or on the Stibbert Visor, one of the examples.

The second image posted is from the Trinci Palazzo. This particular frescoe was commissioned in 1407 and work ceased on it upon the death of the patron in 1411. Pretty clear dating there.

I haven't seen a reference of that visor type much earlier than 1370. Single hinge visors were very common in northern Italy and much of the HRE from the 1360's on into the first quarter of the 1400's. However they are usually broader to cover the opening of most bascinets and early celata. This particular example likely fits the celata di venezia or psuedo - Corinthian barbute as some people call them.
Kel Rekuta wrote:
Dr. Doug Strong wrote an article on the three extant examples of this visor type a couple years back. Do a search on his posts or on the Stibbert Visor, one of the examples.

The second image posted is from the Trinci Palazzo. This particular frescoe was commissioned in 1407 and work ceased on it upon the death of the patron in 1411. Pretty clear dating there.

I haven't seen a reference of that visor type much earlier than 1370. Single hinge visors were very common in northern Italy and much of the HRE from the 1360's on into the first quarter of the 1400's. However they are usually broader to cover the opening of most bascinets and early celata. This particular example likely fits the celata di venezia or psuedo - Corinthian barbute as some people call them.

Thank you for the information. Do you have a link to Dr. Strong's article I have do some looking and can't find it. It sounds like the helmet would have been a bit later than I have thought
I am having a reolica if this helmet made and am trying to.fix a date so I can start to build a suit of armour around it. I want to have it as historical.as I can get it.
How odd. I replied yesterday but the entry seems to be missing or deleted.

I was mistaken about Dr. Doug Strong as author of the article. It was written by Marco Signorini in 2005 for the now defunct ARS journal. It does not seem to be on line anymore. I will see if I can get permission from the authour to share it.
Kel Rekuta wrote:
How odd. I replied yesterday but the entry seems to be missing or deleted.

I was mistaken about Dr. Doug Strong as author of the article. It was written by Marco Signorini in 2005 for the now defunct ARS journal. It does not seem to be on line anymore. I will see if I can get permission from the authour to share it.

Yes please see if you can find it because I have been looking for it and can not. I have talked to Mr. Signorini and he told me he would give me a copy but it has been a few weeks because of computer problems. So if you have it I would live too as well.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: