A $50.00 German Hunting Sword (?)
Asked to check this out and the owner said he would take $50.00 for it... 3 weeks later my I forgot remembered, I go back and it is still there and the owner said he would still take $50.00 for it....

A $50.00 German Hunting Sword (?)
$50.00? This hunting sword is not expensive enough unlike most swords on sale.
Very nice for the money. Is the blade marked in any way? Fairly recent in the grand scheme of things (likely mid 20th century).

Nice piece of stag and fittings on a bayonet blade.

Cheers

GC
Well, I wouldn't call it a sword as it looks more like a long dagger in length at most to me: So maybe a hunting dagger with a 12" to 15" blade according to the proportions of handle to blade ?

The price sounds rather cheap if it's a real antique ? ( Too good to be true ? ) It might be a picture of a real antique and maybe the same dagger being sold for $50 to many different people sending money and it never shipped ????

Now, this is just speculation and maybe being a bit sceptical/paranoid, unless it's a proven reliable vendor ?

Could also be a modern reproduction somewhat artificially aged ? ( If there is more than one for sale maybe a batch of fakes ? )

If the seller is describing it as being a sword he may not even know what he is talking about at best, or very sloppy with the description ?

I could be completely wrong but it gets my " spidy senses tingling " ;) :lol:
Glen A Cleeton wrote:
Very nice for the money. Is the blade marked in any way? Fairly recent in the grand scheme of things (likely mid 20th century).

Nice piece of stag and fittings on a bayonet blade.

Cheers

GC

Yes it might be what you describe if the vendor is reliable ..... I would personally just try to check before sending money.

$50 is dirt cheap even if it's 20th century and of decent quality in materials and workmanship.

I would happily defer to anyone with more specialized knowledge of hunting daggers/hangers.[/i]
It almost looks like a re-ground bayonet blade. Hmm.
Tyler Jordan wrote:
It almost looks like a re-ground bayonet blade. Hmm.

That was my thought- it's almost a fit for a Mauser bayonet.

[ Linked Image ]
If you are not interested in it, I will pay you $75 for it! :D
Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Well, I wouldn't call it a sword as it looks more like a long dagger in length at most to me: So maybe a hunting dagger with a 12" to 15" blade according to the proportions of handle to blade ?...

It is indeed a German hunting sword, or something created true to the style of a German hunting sword. More recent (meaning early modern up to today, following after the Medieval & Renaissance forms) versions of this family are basically long daggers with hilt furniture like an ornate messer or small sword, almost invariably with stag grip (although I'm sure there are other materials out there to be found) to make that visual hunting connection. I don't know how much intentional use these things see today or saw as they first developed, I think the hunting hanger "shrunk" to this form after firearms became more reliable, but the hunting class still desired a sturdy blade for comfort and as a badge of distinction.

Hunting was then and is still a BIG deal in Germany, "Master Hunter" is more than just a liqueur... lots of generational and class tradition to be upheld. Modern hunting swords are still produced:

http://www.worldknives.com/products/hubertus-...-1444.html

The one in the original post here does look to be no older than post- WWII, guessing at the blade (I'll second or third the notion that it is a repurposed bayonet blade). Doesn't make it any less cool though and if the build quality is good, I would have a hard time not taking it home myself!
(link fixed!)

Last edited by Eric W. Norenberg on Tue 07 Oct, 2014 9:26 am; edited 1 time in total
One might consider terminology of these a grey area but it is a hirshfanger, literally deer catcher, a hunting knife/dagger.

""Hirschfänger" sind Blankwaffen/kalte Waffen, die mit dem Aufkommen von Schusswaffen im 17. Jahrhundert das Schwert als Stichwaffe zum Abfangen von großem Wild wie Hirsch oder Sau abgelöst haben. Zunächst wurden sie vom Landesherrn und Adel getragen, denen alleine das Jagdrecht auf dieses Wild zustand. Später führten Jäger und Forstbeamte Hirschfänger als Seitenwaffe zur Jagduniform. Heute werden Hirschfänger meist zu repräsentativen Zwecken und in Zusammenhang mit jagdlichem Brauchtum genutzt."

English
"Deer catcher" are edged weapons / cold weapons, which have replaced the sword with the advent of firearms in the 17th century as a key weapon to catch large game such as deer or boar. First, they were carried by the sovereign and the nobility, which stood alone on this wild hunting rights to. Later, hunters and forestry officials led cutlass page weapon hunting uniform. Today, hanger are used mostly for representative purposes and in connection with jagdlichem traditions.

http://www.hubertus-solingen.com/hirschfaenger.html

See no 8717 in this 1911 catalog

Cheers

GC

Attachment: 76.9 KB
d81702dfaa70f772cafbb9e6a4bc7a2a.jpg
Solinger Hirschfänger aus einem Versandkatalog: August Stukenbrok, 1911
Glen A Cleeton wrote:
... it is a hirshfanger, literally deer catcher, a hunting knife/dagger.

That is awesome, Glen, thank you for that. Always good to have the correct traditional name for a thing.
Maybe we need a "Show Us Your Hirschfängers" thread.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: