New Albion
This was posted on the Albion Facebook a few hours ago. No info, just the picture. Seems like something Templar- themed...

[ Linked Image ]
I think it's a special, one-off sword that will be sold to help Bonnie Sigman (Mike's wife). I like the Agnus Dei motif; it's not one seen too often, although it certain appears on 13th and 14th century coins.
There are some more details on the Albion Facebook page. It looks to be more than a one-off sword.

Exorcistus Specifications:

Overall length: 45" (114 cm)
Blade Length: 35.75" (91 cm)
Blade Width (at base): 2.75" (7 cm)
CoG: 4.75" (12 cm)
CoP: 22" (59 cm)
Weight: 3 lbs 14 oz (1.78 kg)

It looks like a massive sword - they call it the Vigil on steroids. The grip length looks like it is around 7 inches, so you can get two hands on it. At close to 4 lbs. it is on the heavy side for an Albion. I imagine that there is a lot of distal taper on that blade.
A fine sword. Any idea if and when Albion will release the Museum Line "Munich" sword?
As I understand, Peter is leaving it as a Next Gen sword and not going to release a Museum Line version.
Apparently it's for a webisode series. The blade does look like it has a waist section if you look closely.
Craig Peters wrote:
As I understand, Peter is leaving it as a Next Gen sword and not going to release a Museum Line version.

Really? That sucks.
A magnificant sword.

According to Albion's facebook page they hope to produce it and sell it through filmswords at an introductory price of $2,200.

The huge double fuller blade is not 'unhistorical' - at least one single hand, double-fullered blade of similar dimensions has been found in Eastern Europe (although mounted with very different hilts). But overall the current package is likely a bit too embellished and speculative to pass for the next generation line, let alone Museum line, IMHO.
Craig Peters wrote:

Really are you sure? Did he give any reason for it. Would love if he could come and comment on the thread himself about if this is correct and why.
I'm not certain Hector; I just seem to recall someone asking about the progress on the Museum Line Munich, and I seem to recall Peter or someone from Albion answering that they had decided to just stick to the Next Generation line version. But it's best to ask Peter yourself.
I just realized you guys are now talking about a different sword!
J.D. Crawford wrote:
I just realized you guys are now talking about a different sword!

yea sorry for the off-topic ^^
Wow, that thing is huge. I like it!

[ Linked Image ]
It's a bit to "glitzy" for me.

I bet it handles very well though.
I like the engraving on the blade, and the sort of 'turned in' fuller termination, but I don't really care for much else about it. It is large though.
Kai Lawson wrote:
I like the engraving on the blade, and the sort of 'turned in' fuller termination, but I don't really care for much else about it. It is large though.

Yes, but there really isn't any evidence for an engraved script like the one shown here. All script that I can think of would have been inlayed.
It's a very elaborate sword and I have doubts if any Templar sword was that much decorated?!
The templars are a kind of military off-shot to the Cisterciensian Order, that was much more into simplicity and clear lines in their architecture and mindset, so I guess Templars would be as well when making swords.
This looks like something a flashy nobleman going crusading would wield to dazzle.....

Correct me if I'm wrong and you have examples of very elaborate Templar swords....
Kai Lawson wrote:
I like the engraving on the blade, and the sort of 'turned in' fuller termination,

If you look at the blade of the River Witham sword in British Museum (at least one side of blade) and also the larger Eastern European double fuller sword I mentioned above, the fuller terminals not only turn inwards, they join.
Niels Just Rasmussen wrote:
It's a very elaborate sword and I have doubts if any Templar sword was that much decorated?!
The templars are a kind of military off-shot to the Cisterciensian Order, that was much more into simplicity and clear lines in their architecture and mindset, so I guess Templars would be as well when making swords.
This looks like something a flashy nobleman going crusading would wield to dazzle.....

Correct me if I'm wrong and you have examples of very elaborate Templar swords....

It's for a Web-series that is historic fiction, I believe. They are making an art-piece rather than a historic recreation. That is what I have gathered from Facebook...
Jeffrey Faulk wrote:
Niels Just Rasmussen wrote:

It's for a Web-series that is historic fiction, I believe. They are making an art-piece rather than a historic recreation. That is what I have gathered from Facebook...

Ah OK. That makes sense, since people because of media thinks Templars flashy and not dusty men (not bathing) in simple efficient battle outfits with beards and tonsure using most of their time singing hymns as the Cisterciensian monks.
People tend to forget they are warrior-MONKS......

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: