Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search

myArmoury.com is now completely member-supported. Please contribute to our efforts with a donation. Your donations will go towards updating our site, modernizing it, and keeping it viable long-term.
Last 10 Donors: Daniel Sullivan, Anonymous, Chad Arnow, Jonathan Dean, M. Oroszlany, Sam Arwas, Barry C. Hutchins, Dan Kary, Oskar Gessler, Dave Tonge (View All Donors)

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > grip length on Albion Soveriegn and Vigil? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Michael Brudon

PostPosted: Thu 21 Aug, 2014 7:32 am    Post subject: grip length on Albion Soveriegn and Vigil?         Reply with quote

Hi I am interested in getting one or both of these swords next and wondered what the grip length is like for big hands? I am a big guy with really big hands and can struggle with smaller grips, or rather I prefer a bit of room. One review said the vigil had quite a compact grip. If so I don't suppose albion can customise the length? I assume they are not a custom outfit but anyhow.
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Thu 21 Aug, 2014 8:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Albion Europe shows the grip lengths of all their models.

Vigil = 3.858 inches
Sovereign = 3.819 inches
Lloyd Winter

PostPosted: Thu 21 Aug, 2014 9:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have fairly large hands and I never had a problem with my Sovereign. No experience with the Vigil so I can't help you there.
Michael Brudon

PostPosted: Fri 22 Aug, 2014 5:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks gents and for that link. They are a bit skimpy for me Sad
Jeremy V. Krause

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 22 Aug, 2014 5:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have a vigil and really can't imagine hands that would be too big to prevent martial usage. I am thinking how large said hands would need to be.

My hands are not small and I have plenty of room to spare. This grip isn't like a Viking or even a shorter brazil-nut grip.

The wood core on the Vigil give the grip a "full" feeling as compared to my other single-hand Albions- Norman, Solingen, and Reeve. THe grip on the Vigil is a bit "bulgy" in the middle.
Greg Ballantyne

PostPosted: Sat 23 Aug, 2014 9:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I also have large hands. I have a Viking reproduction sword with a 4 1/4" grip that my hand fits snugly. Of course the lobated pommel is fairly large with a slight curve against the heel of the hand when held in the infamous "hammer grip". As the grip transitions between " hammer" and "handshake" the pommel also moves in relation to the hand,
A wheel pommel on a 3/8" to 1/2" shorter grip would end up with the wheel partially gripped in the "hammer" and transition in a similar manner. Might not be a problem for a large hand. I have been wanting an Albion Caithness for some time. It also has a little shorter grip. I wouldn't mind holding one to see how it feels, but my first thought is that the grip length would be fine.
Michael Brudon

PostPosted: Mon 25 Aug, 2014 12:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Agree no doubt still can use the swords martially, but just my personal preference to have more room on the grip and less contact with the pommels etc. I have 4.5" wide knuckles and even fatter palms( think labourer with a 6'7" reach). I believe type XIV came in grips as long as 4.5" historically so I'm not the only big guy who must have wanted a larger one Happy
Jeremy V. Krause

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Mon 25 Aug, 2014 5:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michael Brudon wrote:
Agree no doubt still can use the swords martially, but just my personal preference to have more room on the grip and less contact with the pommels etc. I have 4.5" wide knuckles and even fatter palms( think labourer with a 6'7" reach). I believe type XIV came in grips as long as 4.5" historically so I'm not the only big guy who must have wanted a larger one Happy

You could do A&A custom. I don't know which of their swords might correspond to your interest but they certainly can customize a grip length.
J.D. Crawford

PostPosted: Mon 25 Aug, 2014 11:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

One-hand swords from a slightly later period tended to have slightly longer grips. So, for example the Albion Squire and Oakeshott swords are still in the general ball park of the ones you like, but have grips of 4.25".
Michael Brudon

PostPosted: Wed 27 Aug, 2014 10:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies gents, I will investigate some of those options

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > grip length on Albion Soveriegn and Vigil?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic