Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search

myArmoury.com is now completely member-supported. Please contribute to our efforts with a donation. Your donations will go towards updating our site, modernizing it, and keeping it viable long-term.
Last 10 Donors: Daniel Sullivan, Anonymous, Chad Arnow, Jonathan Dean, M. Oroszlany, Sam Arwas, Barry C. Hutchins, Dan Kary, Oskar Gessler, Dave Tonge (View All Donors)

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Davis Reproductions ballock dagger Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Tue 12 Aug, 2014 6:53 pm    Post subject: Davis Reproductions ballock dagger         Reply with quote

Josh Davis is nearing completion of a ballock dagger and by-knife for me, and I thought people might want to check it out. For those who don't know, Josh is an up-and-coming bladesmith and armourer. He works at A&A in Minneapolis and also does some custom work on the side. People can see more of his work here: http://davisreproductions.com/

I found a ballock dagger with a pommel cap that really spoke to me. Josh and I were kicking around some project ideas and we kept coming back to this one.

There's a little more info in this thread.

I asked for a by-knife to be added. By this time (mid to late 15th century), a scale tang on the by-knife would be more common, but I asked for a whittle tang construction.

It's not quite done yet. The by-knife cap, which features a gothic C, wasn't quite finished when these pics were done. The dagger itself is basically done, I believe. The scabbard core is done, but the leather work hasn't been finished yet.

I think Josh has done a great job. Happy

Attachment: 68.76 KB
ballock2.jpg

Attachment: 34.72 KB
ballock1.jpg

Attachment: 54.37 KB
ballock3.jpg

Attachment: 41.51 KB
ballock4.jpg

Attachment: 74.46 KB
ballock 5.jpg
Earlier shot showing the detail on the "quillons"

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Tim Mathews

PostPosted: Tue 12 Aug, 2014 7:19 pm    Post subject: Ballock set by Josh         Reply with quote

Amazing stuff ...
I am jealous ! I have not been down to the shop for a week or two but will be there to pick up the stock for the MN Renaissance Faire and will hope to be able to see your new set in person.
Best
Tim

Tim Mathews
Leo Todeschini
Industry Professional

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 12 Aug, 2014 10:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Great work as always from Josh and I am looking forward to seeing it finished. Particularly like the execution of the pommel caps.

Congratulations.

Tod

www.todsworkshop.com
www.todcutler.com
www.instagram.com/todsworkshop
https://www.facebook.com/TodsWorkshop
www.youtube.com/user/todsstuff1
Mark T

PostPosted: Wed 13 Aug, 2014 3:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Being the proud owner of a few pieces by Josh, I can only agree with what's already been said - his knowledge of period designs and technique, his passion for research and bold experimentation, and his wide-ranging technical skills add up to stunning work.

I'm really glad you got to add one to your collection, Chad! (And does that mean we'll be due for an update group photo sometime soon? Big Grin )

Chief Librarian/Curator, Isaac Leibowitz Librarmoury

Schallern sind sehr sexy!
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Wed 13 Aug, 2014 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Davis Reproductions ballock dagger         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
Josh Davis is nearing completion of a ballock dagger and by-knife for me, and I thought people might want to check it out. For those who don't know, Josh is an up-and-coming bladesmith and armourer. He works at A&A in Minneapolis and also does some custom work on the side. People can see more of his work here: http://davisreproductions.com/

Chad congratulations on a very nice looking custom ballock dagger and I'm looking forward to seeing more pics of it when you have it in hand and you do a review of it, that I assume you will.

Also good to make new lesser known talented makers better known.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Greg Ballantyne

PostPosted: Thu 14 Aug, 2014 6:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That is beautiful - a real fine piece of work. I'm jealous, and inspired to one day perhaps own a ballock dagger as fine.... thanks for posting
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Fri 15 Aug, 2014 7:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the compliments, folks. I'm looking forward to seeing it done.

Tim,
I'm a little jealous you might get to see it in the flesh before I do. Happy I saw it in progress when I was in the shop last month, but it's come a long way since then.

Tod,
That means a lot coming from you. Cheers!

Mark,
I'd love to see your pieces from Josh (in whatever thread is most appropriate).

I'll do an updated group shot when I get two more in-progress things in-hand. One is from Arma Bohemia. The other is from Josh. I think it'll surprise some people. It's an odd example and to see the original and the repro will open some eyes. Josh has yet to start that one and I think it'll take a while.

Jean,
Thanks! I'll do a formal review for the site with lots of pictures, as I often do. It's great to work with Josh and watch him develop. I'm happy to have gotten on his list now before his queue fills up and gets more expensive. Happy

Greg,
Thanks! This will be one of two ballock daggers in my collection. The other is here. Both have detailed pommel caps with religious themes and date from similar time frames. But they are different in other ways, especially the blades and some proportional things. I'm amazed how much variety there is within the ballock dagger family. I see the dagger in this thread as the civilian, everyday dagger that could serve in a military role if needed, while my other ballock dagger (with its square spike blade) is all military in form.

Happy

ChadA

Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sat 16 Aug, 2014 7:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Latest progress pics of the scabbard, which just needs to be dyed.

Attachment: 30.44 KB
ballock6.jpg

Attachment: 43.19 KB
ballock7.jpg

Attachment: 41.83 KB
ballock8.jpg

Attachment: 49.79 KB
ballock9.jpg

Attachment: 39.12 KB
ballock10.jpg

Happy

ChadA

Victor R.

Reading list: 4 books

PostPosted: Sat 16 Aug, 2014 9:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I find this absolutely beautiful and an outstanding and unique set. While I appreciate every aspect of it, oddly, what I love the most about it is that simple by-knife with its pommel cap. I don't recall ever seeing something of its like, and now must add to my long list of "things to get some day" a by-knife & pricker (whether separately or with bollock is to be determined) with engraved bronze or copper pommel caps.

Was this idea from an extant example, or just something that seemed fitting with the manner of the bollock's construction? Either way, to me at least, it is pure genius and an idea I hope you don't mind if I steal somewhere down the line.

Thanks for sharing.

With both jealousy and great appreciation. -Victor
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Mon 18 Aug, 2014 4:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Latest pics with the scabbard dyed a dark green. Should be on its way to me soon.

Attachment: 55.16 KB
ballock11.jpg

Attachment: 83.04 KB
ballock12.jpg

Attachment: 65.18 KB
ballock13.jpg

Attachment: 50.21 KB
ballock14.jpg

Attachment: 35.32 KB
ballock15.jpg

Attachment: 57.1 KB
ballock16.jpg

Attachment: 68.88 KB
ballock17.jpg

Happy

ChadA

Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Mon 18 Aug, 2014 6:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Victor R. wrote:
Was this idea from an extant example, or just something that seemed fitting with the manner of the bollock's construction? Either way, to me at least, it is pure genius and an idea I hope you don't mind if I steal somewhere down the line.

Victor,
It was all Josh. I just asked for whittle tang (hidden tang, like a sword tang) construction, which is more typical a century before. The cap was his idea; I guess he wanted both pieces to match. The gothic C was a surprise, but I like it.

Happy

ChadA

Mark T

PostPosted: Mon 18 Aug, 2014 9:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Great stuff!

Josh's study of medieval leatherwork really shines through in this ... can't wait to see what he comes up with for a couple of scabbards I have in the works - and can't wait to see his next commission for you Chad! Wink

Chief Librarian/Curator, Isaac Leibowitz Librarmoury

Schallern sind sehr sexy!
Jeremy V. Krause

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 19 Aug, 2014 5:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That's a really attractive set-up there Chad. Congratulations. It has a wonderful harmony about it.
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Tue 19 Aug, 2014 7:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Fantastic piece! Inspiring, too. I've wanted to try one of those caps for some time, but I don't have an appropriate blade. Someday....
-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Thu 21 Aug, 2014 8:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I received the dagger set today. I own and have owned a number of custom daggers by top end makers. This set is as good or better than anything else I have, and I don't say that lightly.

Among many little details, one thing that really struck me is the size of the pommel cap (or lack thereof). In hand, I realized how small it is and how much detail is packed into about a 1.65 inch wide space. Looking at pictures of the engraving on my screen, you see a good amount of detail, but you lose the sense of it when it's blown up to several inches wide on the monitor. Tons of detail in a small space. See below for some of that perspective.

Expect a full review for the site with lots of pics in the coming months.

This is pretty darn great. Happy

Attachment: 63.53 KB
grip1.jpg

Happy

ChadA

Greg Ballantyne

PostPosted: Sun 24 Aug, 2014 5:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Turned out as good or better than the initial pictures indicated. That set sure is a beauty, from the overall lines/shapes to the last detail, from the rather dramatic flair of the handle to the sheath detail.

Congratulations on a fine piece Chad.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Davis Reproductions ballock dagger
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic