Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > What time period would this armour have been used? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Timothy R

PostPosted: Fri 08 Aug, 2014 12:25 pm    Post subject: What time period would this armour have been used?         Reply with quote

So I bought this armour mainly for ren faires and some SCA competitions. I love history and I was wondering if anybody can give me a idea on when this type of armour would be used and possibly which culture would have used it also. Thanks as I'm relatively knew to all this stuff.

Heres the armour I bought http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=...e+-+Medium

Evan Wilson

PostPosted: Fri 08 Aug, 2014 2:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sorry to break it to you, but the Epic Armoury sets are not historical. They are made for LARP and are loosely based on Gothic armour from the 15th and 16th centuries. They're fine for costume and light sparring, but are largely based off of fantasy and the ideas of their designers.

Quote:
Epic Armoury is a LARP brand, based in Denmark. We make props and products for action packed live role-play adventures, in every country in any universe. The Epic Armoury is designed and manufactured with focus on coolness, functionality and safety.

*From their website

Also here is a previous thread about Epic Armoury

Semper Vigilantis et Fidelis
Edward Lee

PostPosted: Fri 08 Aug, 2014 7:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I bought this set when I first started looking for armor, yes this set is for larping, it has a tag that warns you not to use it for combat. The metals are too thin for SCA, and it has somewhat weird fit. For the price you paid for this you could get good armors from merctailor that's fitted to you, and that's something you could use for both rensfair and SCA.

Overall this set is not too bad, definitely good for fun. You could probably customize it, I've seen some people in larp doing so.
Dustin Schulten

PostPosted: Sat 09 Aug, 2014 12:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Edward Lee wrote:
I bought this set when I first started looking for armor, yes this set is for larping, it has a tag that warns you not to use it for combat. The metals are too thin for SCA, and it has somewhat weird fit. For the price you paid for this you could get good armors from merctailor that's fitted to you, and that's something you could use for both rensfair and SCA.

Overall this set is not too bad, definitely good for fun. You could probably customize it, I've seen some people in larp doing so.

Merctailor seems to have gone out of business.. Any noteworthy men or women out there doing similar things?
Edward Lee

PostPosted: Sat 09 Aug, 2014 3:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Schulten

http://merctailor.webs.com/ This is merctailor's website, he can still make stuff to your size and it only take a week or two, he just finished my arm harness.

There are many other armorers but they have a wait line, some are pretty long.

U.S

Clang Armory
Illusion Amory
Icefalcon
Surly Anvil
Jeffrey Hedgecock
Jeff Wasson
James Arlen Gillaspie

Europe

Armor Marek
Best armor
Steel Mastery
Arm street(Etched armor)
Martin Bavin
White Rose armory
Armor Vanek
Andrew Galevskiy
Jolly Knight
WIld Armory
Mark Moore

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Sun 10 Aug, 2014 8:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Timothy......Thanks for making this thread. I've recently been lusting really hard on the Dark Drake armor set. I will also only wear it as costume armor at ren-fests. Please......Do a full review of this armor, with lots of detail pics! Some folks on this site are strict historians. I am not.....I just think it looks cool as hell. Laughing Out Loud Thanks, bro.....McM
''Life is like a box of chocolates...'' --- F. Gump
Mark Moore

PostPosted: Sun 10 Aug, 2014 8:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

P.S.-------My wife thinks a man in armor is sexy...........so there ya go. Laughing Out Loud Laughing Out Loud Laughing Out Loud ........McM
Timothy R

PostPosted: Mon 11 Aug, 2014 1:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'll try and post a review and some pics of it tomorrow. I got my swordsmanship class today so I'll be able to see how it does with some light sparring.
Timothy R

PostPosted: Wed 13 Aug, 2014 4:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ok well I'm relatively new to armour, but heres what I think of it so far. First off I bought this off of KOA for $463 so considering what I got the price was pretty good. The armour fits about as good as it can for factory made armour. No real complaints with it fitting except I have problems with the pauldrons sometimes, every once and a while I have a problem with one of the pauldrons being a lot higher up then the other but most of the time it stays pretty good. The rest of it fits well, the breast and backplate dont align up perfectly on the sides but whos really going to notice. The actual putting on of the armour is pretty easy, it comes with all the buckles and straps you need. The armour itself is pretty thin 18 gauge steel. Its still hard but if you really gave it a good wack it would easily dent. I dont recommend it for SCA, but maybe some light sparring if that. Movement is pretty good, except I cant move my arm higher up then my shoulder and its a little awkward to sit down sometimes. So as you can tell its just some very minor complaints but other then that I think it looks great and if you want some armour just to wear around for the price I paid you really cant beat it.

Oh just one more thing, I was wearing a dress black shirt underneath the armour in the pictures, I do have a gambeson which I have worn underneath it and because of the gambeson being padded it is slightly more difficult to put on some of the pieces and not to mention a lot hotter.

Attachment: 86.45 KB
knight 55.jpg

Attachment: 84.42 KB
resized.jpg

Attachment: 78.17 KB
resized 1.jpg

Attachment: 93.23 KB
resized 3.jpg

Attachment: 85.77 KB
resized 4.jpg

Attachment: 90.15 KB
resized 5.jpg

Attachment: 78.67 KB
resized 6.jpg

Attachment: 84.18 KB
resized 7.jpg

Mark Moore

PostPosted: Thu 14 Aug, 2014 3:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Good enough for me.........Dark Drake armor with a dark finish sallet helm coming up. Thanks, bro. Big Grin ....McM
Mark Moore

PostPosted: Thu 14 Aug, 2014 3:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

p.s.............I think you look very dashing in your kit. My wife will go nuts when I get mine. All the best.....McM
Philip Dyer

PostPosted: Thu 14 Aug, 2014 12:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mark Moore wrote:
p.s.............I think you look very dashing in your kit. My wife will go nuts when I get mine. All the best.....McM

Yeah, I'm surprised how good a person can look in shitty armor
Edward Lee

PostPosted: Thu 14 Aug, 2014 3:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think it fits great on you. I bought small size and it was still too big so I couldn't wear it, had to give it tons
a friend and he was wearing thick padding.
Timothy R

PostPosted: Thu 14 Aug, 2014 11:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

haha thanks bro, if you end up getting the dark drake armour lemme know how it is.
Mark Moore

PostPosted: Fri 15 Aug, 2014 10:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm reeeeeeeeally seriously concidering getting the Dark Drake set. I have everything else.....why the hell not. If it sucks, I'll send it back and call it a learning experience. I'm handy enough that I think I can fix any small fitting problems. The armor is thin enough that I'm sure it can be bent a bit by hand for a better fit, in or out, one way or the other. I just love the dark, aged finish on it. I'm kinda battle-worn myself.....might as well have armor that looks the same. Laughing Out Loud ....McM
Raman A

PostPosted: Mon 18 Aug, 2014 9:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The waist on that armor is extremely low, I guess to better fit modern sensibilities. Doesn't it interfere with your ability to bend your torso?
Timothy R

PostPosted: Tue 19 Aug, 2014 9:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

yea its a little awkward when bending down, and I cant bend all the way down either.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > What time period would this armour have been used?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic