Trying to identify sabre
After quite a bit of searching I've been very pleased to pick up my first real sword for a nicely small sum. My collector friends and I have been trying to identify what we can about it.

From what little I've been able to research it looks like a British 1821 model, but with a VERY prominent pommel nut. The only marks on it are an armory mark on the back "406" (also marked on the scabbard) and the initials "RGA" under a large cypher, consisting of a large "R" with an "A", "F", and "C" around it. There's no crown, so I'm unsure what to make of the cypher. It's been suggested that RGA might stand for "Royal Garrison Artillery" but past that we're at a loss. Anyone out there perhaps have a better clue?

I have a full size pic on here that won't display but is available as an attachment. Can't figure out why it won't display...

Attachment: 20.25 KB
00A0A_b8hkhp1KvOI_600x450.jpg

Attachment: 24.36 KB
00Z0Z_d0gC0u0iU4V_600x450.jpg

Attachment: 77.95 KB
[ Download ]
RGA is Royal Garrison Artillery. The initials in the monogram are probably those of the officer who owned the sword AFCR. AI don't recall if RGA officers are listed in Army lists of the period, but I will take a look and see if I can find a match for those initials. The 406 is a maker's or retailer's serial number. The blade looks like a possibly refurbished 19th century blade, and the hilt looks to be a post-1900 iteration of the P1821 hilt. My guess is that the blade was refurbished and re-hilted for use by an RGA officer around or after 1900.

Jonathan
I could not find a match, but I only have access to army lists up to 1906. I would not be surprised if the original owner of your sword served in WWI. Perhaps a query at the Great War Forum will turn up a result.

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php

Post your question in the Soldiers section and I am sure you will get a response. The kind people at that forum have helped me many times. Just remember to say thank you!

Jonathan

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: