A katana and my introduction to this forum.
This is an example of the type of work that I do.

W2 steel katana. Nagasa is 27.5 inches. All the fittings were made of copper which was patinated using the niage technique. The tsuba is iron with a sukashi design. The saya is poplar with many layers of lacquer. The koiguchi has been reinforced with a copper ring to prevent the saya from splitting during noto and to ensure a tighter fit to the habaki less likely to be affected by environmental changes or movement of the wood given the restriction created by the metal.

On to the pictures.

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]
Welcome Jesus.

I just saw this on FB. It's a wonderful thing. I love the quiet simplicity of the them in the fittings. Glad to see somebody posting Japanese work.
Hi Jesus,
Great to see you here,
Anyone who's not yet looked over at Jesus's site, you should, :cool:
Some of the nicest bare blades through to full project's you'll see,
Some really good stuff, :D
Stunning work, JH ... I've kept a quiet eye on your website, like others, because in
the back of my mind, amongst the many dusty plans, still smolders a desire to
have a custom-made Japanese-style sword ...

One day. B-)

Please keep posting here, myArmoury is in DESPERATE need of some Japanese
stylings ...

Okay, maybe not desperate. B-)
A very interesting habaki!

Is there any historical basis for this type that's not your standard rectangular or two-piece habaki? Just curious.

The whole thing is very spectacular. Every now and then I still drool over the katana in your entry in that Swords book from Blade magazine. You have some serious talent, sir :)
Thank you.

I will be glad to keep enticing you towards the Japanese bladesmithing tradition in the future.

Habaki came in many different shapes and materials. Habaki-shi (habaki makers) were indeed very prolific in the use of non-ferrous metals, copper, brass, alloys of copper (shakudo Au-Cu, shibuichi Ag-Cu) and they combined them in rather unique shapes, mostly geometric but occasionally depicting some forms found in nature.
Fantastic to see you here Jesus...!
Very nice work! The whole sword is harmonious.

Is there a particular reason for the second mekugi?

Christian
The second mekugi was a customer's request. There are rare examples of these in traditional blades but the trend is modern and started with Nakamura Taizaburo, a Japanese swordmanship instructor famous for his tameshigiri (test cutting) abilities who taught Toyama Ryu. One of his students (Toshishiro Obata) founder of Shinkendo continued this tradition or recommendation. This sword was made for a Shinkendo student.
Thanks for the info and for presenting your work here. I went to your site. You have done wonderful pieces. Have you taken commissions from Iaido students in the past( Muso Shinden Ryu)?

Christian
Christian P. wrote:
Thanks for the info and for presenting your work here. I went to your site. You have done wonderful pieces. Have you taken commissions from Iaido students in the past( Muso Shinden Ryu)?

Christian

Thank you and yes, I have taken commissions from students of different Japanese swordmanship schools in the past but I don't recall anyone stating MSR specifically.
Beasutiful sword Jesus!
It amazes me you have such a grasp on all aspects of the craft, the mount is as impressive as the blade.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: