Made my first sharp sword
Soooo, I recently got a Diamondback gas forge and this is the result so far. My first sharp. Its all done with stock removal, I only used the forge for heat treatment. I dont have an anvil yet. All done with a 5" angle grinder, files and sandpaper.

About 26 inch total length, 20 inch blade. 5mm thick, 25 mm wide. No distal taper, no profile taper. Blade cross section is a flat ground V shape. POB is about 4 inches from the "guard". Made from unknown spring steel, hardened and tempered.

I wanted to keep things as simple as possible to avoid messinging it up, so I went with a simple, single edged saber with a simple hilt.

Hilt is a birch core with a steel plate at each end and with cord risers wrapped in black leather. I followed Peter Johnssons tutorial on grip wraps and that was a huge help. Not as nice as the grip on my albion sword, but i managed to get that nice textured surface by wrapping the still wet leather grip tightly with cord and letting it dry over night.

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]
Wicked! Congratulations.

Jon
Reminds me of a South East Asian dhal. Nice job.

Jason

Last edited by Jason O C on Fri 13 Jun, 2014 1:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Thank you for the kind words, guys :)
Very nice done. Keep up the good work
Jerre R wrote:
Very nice done. Keep up the good work

Thank you. I'm working on a big broken back seax now. :)
really nicely done.
what are its specs? and what is it made from?

I think you pulled really clean lines and it does not look anything like a 'first sword'
Well done
David Lewis Smith wrote:
really nicely done.
what are its specs? and what is it made from?

I think you pulled really clean lines and it does not look anything like a 'first sword'
Well done

Thanks David.

Its about 26 inches in total length, 20 inch blade. 5mm thick, 25 mm wide. No distal taper, no profile taper. Blade cross section is a flat ground V shape. POB is about 4 inches from the "guard". Made from unknown spring steel, hardened and tempered. I dont have scales, so I dont know the weight. Its pretty light and nimble though, being such a small sword.

I took the steel from the blades of one of these things:

[ Linked Image ]

I have no idea what its called in english. Common push sled thingy in scandinavia. I only know that they are made from spring steel, I dont know the excact type.

I'm working on a big Seax now, and that wlll be made from Nablo 5028, which is roughly equivalent to 1050 or 1060.
Keep us informed. We love a good DIY project, and we definatley love seaxes!.............McM
:D

I want one of those chairs now LOL
KICK SLED
Great work - almost a shame to break up a nice kick-sled though!
Re: KICK SLED
Stephen Wheatley wrote:
Great work - almost a shame to break up a nice kick-sled though!

Thanks. :)

Dont worry the sled has seen better days. Look at is as reincarnation. :P
Made my first sharp sword
[ Linked Image ]
I have one question - How do you move this sled?
Re: Made my first sharp sword
Shahril Dzulkifli wrote:

I have one question - How do you move this sled?

It's for snow or ice. You put it down on that, someone sits in it, you hold the bar across the top of the back and push.

On topic-- lovely little blade. Would always be nervous about grabbing the sharp bit by accident without a guard of some kind on that sucker, though!
Beautiful job. I love the simplicity of it. Looks like very crisp, nicely finished work. I too look forward to seeing your seax.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: