Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Where can I find armour collections/museum in South England? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Felix Kratzer

PostPosted: Sun 01 Jun, 2014 3:35 am    Post subject: Where can I find armour collections/museum in South England?         Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

I am going to stay some days in Cornwall and Devon this summer and I was wondering if there are some castles or museums in that area which display armour collections. Question
Can anybody help? (I won't be able to make it to Leeds or London this time Cry , though it's on very top of my wishlist.... Cool )

Thanks a lot in advance,

Felix
Scott Hrouda

Reading list: 87 books

PostPosted: Mon 02 Jun, 2014 8:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Try PMing Randall Moffett here on myArmoury.

He conducted a lot of research in the south of England for his doctoral thesis “The Military Organisation of Southampton in the Late Medieval Period, 1300-1500".

...and that, my liege, is how we know the Earth to be banana shaped. - Sir Bedevere
Jonathan Fletcher

PostPosted: Tue 03 Jun, 2014 4:06 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Felix.

I didn't find much much in either:

I think the Royal Albert Memorial Museum in Exeter has a small collection but they were closed for refurbishment when I tried to visit http://www.rammuseum.org.uk/ .

The DCLI musuem in Bodmin is quite good but probably not what you are looking for http://www.cornwalls-regimentalmuseum.org/index.html . Not much armour but they have a nice collection of firearms.

Tintagel Castle isn't worth a visit.

The Royal Dockyard at Portsmouth is a few hours drive away, that is well worth a day out, the Mary Rose collection is superb.

J.F.
Felix Kratzer

PostPosted: Thu 05 Jun, 2014 7:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello Jonathan, hello Scott,

thank you very much for your replies and the information! I thought so that there is not too much in that area, but thanks for the tipps on the other museums - I'll definitely check them out!
And I' m going to contact Randall to see what else might come up... :-)

best regards and stay armed,

Felix
Matthew Bunker

PostPosted: Thu 05 Jun, 2014 12:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Cotehele House in Cornwall has a nice collection of arms and armour.
"If a Greek can do it, two Englishman certainly can !"
Mark Griffin

Location: The Welsh Marches, in the hills above Newtown, Powys.

PostPosted: Fri 06 Jun, 2014 11:02 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

although the area is replete with country houses and nice castles its not arms and armour heavy. Farleigh Hungerford has a few bits from memory.
Currently working on projects ranging from Elizabethan pageants to a WW1 Tank, Victorian fairgrounds 1066 events and more. Oh and we joust loads!.. We run over 250 events for English Heritage each year plus many others for Historic Royal Palaces, Historic Scotland, the National Trust and more. If you live in the UK and are interested in working for us just drop us a line with a cv.
Randall Moffett

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Sat 07 Jun, 2014 6:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

There is not much to my recollection. Nothing like the Royal Armouries in Leeds or the Wallace in London (Though if you do get to London make sure to hit the Wallace, British Museum and Museum of London all have great arms and armour).Southampton used to have some neat stuff but that is further east than you are and last I head God's House Museum has been closed with the recent restructuring... Tudor house has been redone and is supposedly amazing but they opened right after I left sadly (figures). To be honest as others have said you have some pockets of a few bits of arms and armour here and there, usually stately homes, castles/historic sites and smaller local Museums.

The farther west from Hampshire I am not as familiar with but make sure to take a look at local museums. Some are pretty amazing even if many are small. Some of the castles as well will have some objects, many recreations but sometimes things found at the castle or nearby and some of these are pretty neat little finds. If you get to Hampshire make sure to go to Winchester Westgate Museum and the city museum. Both have some pretty neat arms and armour. Winchester has a munitions suit from the 1st half of the 16th which is pretty awesome. And the city museum has some early medieval and roman finds.

Make sure to hit the castles. Some really amazing castles in Cornwall and Devon.

RPM
Felix Kratzer

PostPosted: Mon 23 Jun, 2014 9:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi guys,

sorry it took me a while to respond, busy days so far... :-(
Thank you very much for your replies and the information, I appreciate it a lot! I will see which locations I'll be able to visit. Thanks a lot and stay armed and armoured,

Felix

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Where can I find armour collections/museum in South England?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic