Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Searles Bowie / Legacy Arms.Product Review Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Wed 14 May, 2014 12:44 am    Post subject: Searles Bowie / Legacy Arms.         Reply with quote

I recently purchased the Searles Bowie made by Legacy Arms from Kult of Athena, and I really like it: The steel seems to be of very good quality as it has a sharp edge right from the box that I sharpened up with minimal effort to a near razor sharp edge.

http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=...rles+Bowie

The flat of the blade isn't actually flat as it has a very subtle hollow grind as well as the main bevel also having a hollow grind. There is some distal taper to the blade and it balances at the guard, this makes it a very fast knife but optimized for draw cuts. A camp tool might be better with a bit more forward balance but this is really a fighting knife as one would expect from one of the " traditionally believed " original Bowie knives, or at least a version that Rezin Bowie had made as presentation knives and may have used himself.

The one Jim Bowie used in the Sand Bar fight may have been different and just a large butcher knife, and maybe by the time of the Alamo it might have been replaced by a knife like this ? Mostly speculation, I believe, and I'm writing this from memory so it would be good for people to do some fact checking.

The pics on the KoA site are pretty good, but I took a few pics myself to show it in hand.

This seems to be a very well made copy of the original, but in that case the only criticism I would have of the original is that the handle would be better with an oval cross section rather than a round one for easier edge alignment in a cut.

The blade is 3/16" thick at the guard and 1/8' thick near the point.

Oh the scabbard is a perfect fit holding the blade in the scabbard even when the scabbard and knife are held up side down, and even a bit of shaking doesn't make the knife fall out of the scabbard. At the same time a firm tug on the handle is enough to pull out the knife: The scabbard may have been a little tighter when I first got the knife but the scabbard just loosened up just a bit, but not too much even after having the knife for a few months and many cycles of pulling out the knife. ( Can't say if all the Legacy Arms knife/scabbard Searles Bowies have this near perfect fit, but mine does have it Wink Big Grin Cool )

As usual customer service by Kult of Athena was excellent.

Attachment: 104.7 KB
Searles Bowie 01.JPG

Attachment: 109.61 KB
Searles Bowie 02.JPG

Attachment: 97.19 KB
Searles Bowie 03.JPG
Shows the thickness of the blade and distal taper.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!

Last edited by Jean Thibodeau on Wed 14 May, 2014 8:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shahril Dzulkifli

PostPosted: Wed 14 May, 2014 4:28 am    Post subject: Searles Bowie / Legacy Arms.         Reply with quote

[ Linked Image ]
Jean, I believe your knife is a replica of the one used by Bowie himself during the Battle of the Alamo.

“You have power over your mind - not outside events. Realize this, and you will find strength”

- Marcus Aurelius
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Wed 14 May, 2014 5:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

http://www.tamu.edu/faculty/ccbn/dewitt/adp/h...owies.html

Cheers

GC
Daniel Wallace

PostPosted: Wed 14 May, 2014 10:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

nice, it looks a little on the hefty side - but I actually like a knife with a big beefy spine on them.
Mark Moore

PostPosted: Wed 14 May, 2014 11:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Speaking as a life-long old Texas country boy.....That's a sweet hand full o' steel. Bowies and large knives were my first passion before old age stuff...........You got a good'un there. Big Grin .......McM
''Life is like a box of chocolates...'' --- F. Gump
Jean Thibodeau

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Wed 14 May, 2014 8:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Daniel Wallace wrote:
nice, it looks a little on the hefty side - but I actually like a knife with a big beefy spine on them.

Not too hefty compared to some Bowie knives with blade 1/4" or more thick: It has enough beef to be strong, but not more than needed to be a good cutter and not feel like a 5 pound brick in the waistband. ( Forgot to mention that the scabbard has a side pin that keeps the scabbard in place if one wears the knife between waist and one's belt ).

Oh a leather thong attached to the ring on the scabbard can also be used as an extra way to secure the scabbard from loss.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Searles Bowie / Legacy Arms.Product Review
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic