Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Realistic blunted gladii; Does anyone know where to get one? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Elling Polden

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 06 May, 2014 4:14 am    Post subject: Realistic blunted gladii; Does anyone know where to get one?         Reply with quote

Lately, I have been hanging out with a group that reenacts roman legionaries, ca 100 AD. I am natturaly trying to get them to do more steel reenactment figthing, but have yet to find a source of afordable gladii that are remotely realistic in weigth and handling.

There are many sites that sell gladii, many of them highly decorated and good looking. However, all of these are either sharps or way to heavy. Most commonly both. (How do you get a 50cm blade to weigh 1,5kg anyway?)
Based on my research, and the specs of the albion NG gladii (which i assume to be well researched) a gladius should weigh about 700g, or at the least less than 1kg (2 pounds).
Does anyone know of a site that supplies such swords?

"this [fight] looks curious, almost like a game. See, they are looking around them before they fall, to find a dry spot to fall on, or they are falling on their shields. Can you see blood on their cloths and weapons? No. This must be trickery."
-Reidar Sendeman, from King Sverre's Saga, 1201
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Tue 06 May, 2014 4:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If I were you I would email Viktor Berbekucz. http://www.berbekuczviktor.hu/angol/angol.html
His site doesn't have gladius weights but I bet they are not too heavy and even if they are, Viktor is always open to customizations.
Evan Wilson

PostPosted: Tue 06 May, 2014 12:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

There is this one on KOA not sure who in the Czech Republic makes it though.
Semper Vigilantis et Fidelis
Timo Nieminen

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Tue 06 May, 2014 4:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Deepeeka? Or are the blades too soft?
"In addition to being efficient, all pole arms were quite nice to look at." - Cherney Berg, A hideous history of weapons, Collier 1963.
Sean Manning

PostPosted: Wed 07 May, 2014 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Realistic blunted gladii; Does anyone know where to get         Reply with quote

Elling Polden wrote:
Lately, I have been hanging out with a group that reenacts roman legionaries, ca 100 AD. I am natturaly trying to get them to do more steel reenactment figthing, but have yet to find a source of afordable gladii that are remotely realistic in weigth and handling.

Couldn't you just use wooden swords? That is the historical solution, and you can make them yourselves. Wood on wood does not behave like steel on steel, but Roman fighting probably did not involve much contact between blades.

If safety is a concern you can give them padded tips, which is also historical (Polybius, Livy, a Byzantine poet, and see now the article by Philip Rance).

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Realistic blunted gladii; Does anyone know where to get one?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic