Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Sam Gordon Campbell wrote:
I hope Mr. Hick's doesn't mind but,
I did a quick Google search of Figueiredo and Godinho (adding keywords like, y'know, sword) and these are the two links that popped up.
All credit where credit is due. Though now I'm going to find a big stick and try to follow the instructions too!
I hope that there are more excellent and well edited sources like these soon :D

There are more class notes out there from me, Matt Galas, Eric Myers, and others. Remember these are interpretations, look at the original material, try variations, and listen to your body and weapon. The closer your weapon is to 80-90 percent your height and weighs 2.5kg or so, the better the feedback.

Steve
Considering I'd heard about these occasionally over the past couple years but didn't have any interest in early modern fencing... I didn't go looking. That is, not until I got my hands on a training tool for it and let loose in the salle. Dead sexy stuff, really.

I also found a two video seminar by Matt Galas that I'll have to find time to watch before spend any more time on the material. Like I said, a new obsession... great. :lol:
Kel Rekuta wrote:
Considering I'd heard about these occasionally over the past couple years but didn't have any interest in early modern fencing... I didn't go looking. That is, not until I got my hands on a training tool for it and let loose in the salle. Dead sexy stuff, really.

I also found a two video seminar by Matt Galas that I'll have to find time to watch before spend any more time on the material. Like I said, a new obsession... great. :lol:

Yeah, use whatever you find for your initial inspiration and then let the sword speak to you. Use the rules initially just what they seem to be saying, and then, any of the other ideas that seem to meet the text.
Steve
I found another thread that really explores the historical numbers and application of the two handed sword against Pike (same question, different year... :)

http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=16442
Fighting style
The zweihander Was in fact created with a Particular purpose. They were used by special soldiers, called doppelsoldners. They were the first line to charge in a battle and were supposed to deflect the pikes so the knights could charge without being impaled.
From what I've read, they were also used as spears, either to deflect the pikes or to thrust through armor and shields more easily.
Re: Fighting style
Agustín valle wrote:
The zweihander Was in fact created with a Particular purpose. They were used by special soldiers, called doppelsoldners. They were the first line to charge in a battle and were supposed to deflect the pikes so the knights could charge without being impaled.
From what I've read, they were also used as spears, either to deflect the pikes or to thrust through armor and shields more easily.

Well, that theory is pretty much overcome by new, more sensible theories...
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Page 4 of 4

Jump to: