Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Sword found with magnet Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
M Hermes

PostPosted: Fri 25 Apr, 2014 6:54 am    Post subject: Sword found with magnet         Reply with quote

A friend fom a friend of mine found this sword last week with the help of a strong magnet(magnet fishing is a populair hobby over here). Does anyone know what type of sword this is? Thanks

Attachment: 50.52 KB
image.jpg

Bruno Giordan

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 25 Apr, 2014 7:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Some sharper, non distorted pics will help identifying this sword, even if the pommel seems clear enough to give a first impression of the typology (probably a type XII from around half the XIII century)

The blade should be more wide than it appears in your pic, but, as I said, there is an apparent distortion in your image so judging the blade is impossible.

You should try to photograph it by staying perpendicular to the blade lying on a flat surface, so as to give a clear idea of the blade profile.

Also some close up pics of the first half of the blade should reveal the presence of a concavity, called fuller, which would help in the authentication of the piece.

Pommel looks very promising. Probably an important find, if it is a water find it is obviously unlikely to be a recent fake.
S. Sebok

PostPosted: Fri 25 Apr, 2014 2:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That looks almost exactly like the Albion Ritter. Probably a type XII just like it from probably the 13th century. Rather cool.
M Hermes

PostPosted: Fri 25 Apr, 2014 2:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The sword is handed over to the dutch archeology department for research and conservation. I will let you know when there is more clarity.
Tim Lison

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Fri 25 Apr, 2014 3:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Glad to hear that it went to the professionals. If it's genuine, it should be conserved properly. Great find! I have to say it looks like it could be a type XI blade to me. The hilt components could easily be paired with that blade type.
J.D. Crawford

PostPosted: Fri 25 Apr, 2014 6:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very cool. Looks authentic.

A series of similar swords with this pommel type, straight cross, and long slim blade were made in (probably) Germany in the 13th century. You can see some of them here: http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=20025

Coincidentally, I'm having one of these made right now (or rather re-made since I wasn't quite happy with the first version). It looks almost identical to this find.
James Moore

PostPosted: Sat 26 Apr, 2014 5:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Part of me was about to scream "get it to someone like the conservators in the Legersmuseum, Delft, FAST!"

I'm very, very glad to hear that that has already been done. This is a perfect example of what should be done after a find.

(And I'm so envious. what an object to discover!)
Aaron Hoard

PostPosted: Sat 26 Apr, 2014 5:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That is just beyond cool - a find of a lifetime. Good on him for handing it over to the archaeology department.
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Sat 26 Apr, 2014 9:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

J.D. Crawford wrote:
Very cool. Looks authentic.

A series of similar swords with this pommel type, straight cross, and long slim blade were made in (probably) Germany in the 13th century. You can see some of them here: http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=20025

Coincidentally, I'm having one of these made right now (or rather re-made since I wasn't quite happy with the first version). It looks almost identical to this find.

So, what are you going to do with the first version? Wink
Jeroen T

PostPosted: Sat 26 Apr, 2014 12:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wow great find.
Where in Holland was this?
Ian Hutchison

PostPosted: Thu 01 May, 2014 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Sword found with magnet         Reply with quote

M Hermes wrote:
A friend fom a friend of mine found this sword last week with the help of a strong magnet(magnet fishing is a populair hobby over here). Does anyone know what type of sword this is? Thanks

Wow, what a cool discovery. What are the chances, eh?

Did you get any more pictures before you handed it over? I would love to see some closer up shots.

'We are told that the pen is mightier than the sword, but I know which of these weapons I would choose.' - Adrian Carton de Wiart
Shahril Dzulkifli

PostPosted: Sat 03 May, 2014 8:42 am    Post subject: Sword found with magnet         Reply with quote

I didn't know that there's such thing as magnet fishing in Holland. But it turned out to be a sword, not fish, that gets the bait.
To me it looks more like a Viking sword, because Vikings themselves once invaded the area which is now Holland.

“You have power over your mind - not outside events. Realize this, and you will find strength”

- Marcus Aurelius

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Sword found with magnet
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic