Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Those harnesses are beautiful
Wow, Marston, those harnesses are really beautiful. Unfortunately I only have one, late 19th or early 20th century. Hoping to acquire a few more soon. Here is a photo of the one I have, 16th century style, close helmet, rolled and roped edges, nicely smithed.

Attachment: 17.31 KB
armor-photo.png

I would ask the question a trifle differently

"What would I see that would make me want to buy armor like I buy swords"

1: price point <$3K
2: variety of historical styles
3: completeness, I would want a full set that I could actually wear
4 barrier to entry: one size fits all, confidence that if I get fat or get skinny I could still wear it. No going to a tailor to get measured
5: attractiveness if worn or displayed, including some easy way to display it

I worked actually not focus on plate, if you look at what you see armor wise in popular culture now it's generally lighter chain or leather. There are reasons why the game of thrones guys are. Lastly not running around in plate
Sure I would love to collect armor too. :)

Unfortunately I have several factors why I don't currently collect them.

1. Financial reasons & collecting preferences - I try to mainly collect nihonto, even though I would like to have a Japanese armor in my collection (and armors of other cultures too), it's a very big investment. So for that kind of money that an armor would cost, I would rather buy a nihonto.

2. Space issues - I live in small single room apartment, I already have one wall & floor space dedicated to Japanese swords, one wall & floor space for my sword books & indo-persian stuff, and last wall rack for Euros. I have literally no room for displaying armor.

3. Size issues - In a weird way, I would like my armor to be wearable. As I'm a lot bigger than average Japanese I would need a custom fitted armor which would cost quite a bit more than regular modern off the shelf armors.

4. Age issues - I like antiques, but I wouldn't/couldn't most likely wear an antique armor. In my mind they are for collecting and new ones are for use. This goes back to number one reason. :)

I know I will eventially buy myself a custom reproduction of Japanese armor made by Japanese craftsmen, however time for that purchase is far in the future. And I would love to have various full "kits" (Samurai, Viking, Roman, Knight etc.) but those are even further away in the future. :)
Re: Armour vs swords ... a collector's view
[ Linked Image ]
Baron Stanislas Klossowski de Rola? Is that his real name?
A collection of armor comes to good use if you happen to make a medieval vampire feature in your back yard. My neighbor and friend,Stash owns a castle in Italy and is the son of the artist Balthasar Klossowski de Rola(Balthus). Stash makes the best vampire.
If I had 3k I would find out where I could get 3 complete harnesses (in California you will need to get a resale license to buy wholesale)

Attachment: 57.59 KB
2346_1108057980023_8358_n.jpg

Attachment: 160 KB
[ Download ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Page 5 of 5

Jump to: