myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > General Polearm Discussion Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 
Bjorn Hagstrom

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Wed 23 Apr, 2014 1:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Timo Nieminen wrote:

Nothing like this in Waldman that I saw. I haven't seen anything like this except for one being sold on ebay. Looks like a mutant partisan.

Thanks for that, mystery still to be solved, but then I don't have to rush to get a copy of Waldman's (yet anyway)
But somehow the shape just speaks to me!

There is nothing quite as sad as a one man conga-line...
Daniel Staberg

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Wed 23 Apr, 2014 2:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It is a "korsgevär" in Swedish, from the German "Kurzgewehr" or "Kurzwehr" which was a type of polearms carried by the non-commisioned officers in the Swedish army from the late 17th Century. You also find this type of polearm in the hands of city watchmen and the firewatch in the 18th Century. The photo you posted looks very similar to the pattern of "korsgevär" that the Swedish army adopted in 1697. (Today labled "korsgevär M/1697).
"There is nothing more hazardous than to venture a battle. One can lose it
by a thousand unforseen circumstances, even when one has thorougly taken all
precautions that the most perfect military skill allows for."
-Fieldmarshal Lennart Torstensson.
Nicholas Barton

PostPosted: Wed 23 Apr, 2014 5:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

all this talk of different timber for hafts has me thinking, i know its not period but what about Australian Gum, i'm shafting a pole-hammer and a Dane Axe soon and i recon it would be good and strong not to mention solid

does anyone have any experience with it or just me?

Why are you standing still?
Mike O'Hara

PostPosted: Wed 23 Apr, 2014 5:30 pm    Post subject: Timber for hafts         Reply with quote

Hi Nicholas

Those of in the Southern hemisphere do indeed need to look about a bit for alternatives. Wink

I think you might find gum a bit splintery unless it was very well seasoned and prepared. That is purely based on my experience with what I have been able to get across the ditch, here.

You really need a good, long grain that is very easy to smooth and is not prone to splintering when dry or when damaged. I tried jarrah for wasters and while it is dense and strong it is short grained and prone to breaking once dry.

Luckily for you, Tasmanian White Oak is excellent - someone here imports it and I've used it for a sparth (the galloglass ancestor of the Dane Axe), for a whole set of practise pollaxes (rubber heads) and for all of the wasters I make. It has really stood up to the test to date.

Ash is very hard to find in NZ.

cheers
mike

MIke O'Hara
Ryan S.

PostPosted: Wed 23 Apr, 2014 7:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Daniel Staberg wrote:
It is a "korsgevär" in Swedish, from the German "Kurzgewehr" or "Kurzwehr" which was a type of polearms carried by the non-commisioned officers in the Swedish army from the late 17th Century. You also find this type of polearm in the hands of city watchmen and the firewatch in the 18th Century. The photo you posted looks very similar to the pattern of "korsgevär" that the Swedish army adopted in 1697. (Today labled "korsgevär M/1697).

I believe Kurzgewehr is now the name for a bull pup rifle, because I saw it translated at the in the Dresden Grünes Gewölbe.
Bjorn Hagstrom

PostPosted: Wed 23 Apr, 2014 11:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Daniel Staberg wrote:

That rings a bell! I faintly remeber seeing something like it at "Torpa Stenhus" some 30 years ago..
I was searching on spontoons to see if I could find a match, but I should have searched closer to home, I guess Happy
And the good news is that then I assume that some standard haft lenght is probably recorded in some document somewhere for me to find!

And did I just make my first unintentional purchase for Great Norhtern War-reenactment? Eek!

Anyway, hopefully my repro is in transit, and I will post pictures when I get it!

Bjorn Hagstrom

PostPosted: Tue 22 Jul, 2014 1:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

And here is the repro:
2 foot long blade, mounted on 9 foot of ash haft for a total length of 11 foot. Quite a challenge to manouvre around, and almost as difficult to find a good place to store and display indoors Razz

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > General Polearm Discussion
Page 3 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: