Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Insurance claims with the Post Office................ Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Wed 16 Apr, 2014 5:47 pm    Post subject: Insurance claims with the Post Office................         Reply with quote

Well, after years of selling online I've finally had a mishap. I sent a sword out to a customer Priority Two Day with the Post Office, as he wanted it for an event. As of now it's been a week and a half and the sword seems to have vanished. I'm waiting for the P.O.to get back to me but I'm not terrible optimistic. Does anyone have experience with filing insurance claims with the Post Office, as to success in payment or how long it took?
"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Lin Robinson

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Thu 17 Apr, 2014 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: Insurance claims with the Post Office................         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
Well, after years of selling online I've finally had a mishap. I sent a sword out to a customer Priority Two Day with the Post Office, as he wanted it for an event. As of now it's been a week and a half and the sword seems to have vanished. I'm waiting for the P.O.to get back to me but I'm not terrible optimistic. Does anyone have experience with filing insurance claims with the Post Office, as to success in payment or how long it took?

My limited experience with missing packages, which was some time back, is that they do not want to do anything at all immediately, preferring to string you along until it either shows up or you make enough noise that they have to do something. I had a shipment go missing for three weeks several years ago and even sent a replacement to the buyer, when it suddenly turned up. The address was correct and I never got an explanation of the delay but at least it did finally arrive.

I would wait a few more days, which is what I expect they will ask you to do while they try to trace it, then file the claim. They should pay very quickly, once the bureaucratic mumbo-jumbo is complete.

Good Luck.

Lin Robinson

"The best thing in life is to crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women." Conan the Barbarian, 1982
Mark T

PostPosted: Thu 17 Apr, 2014 2:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Patrick,

I haven't had to do this with the post office, but did have a sword go missing with a courier company recently.

The main things I found helpful were to take notes about every conversation I had with them - date, time, who I spoke to, and exactly what was said. I also had copies of paperwork, receipts, consignment notes, photos of the exact sword - everything that could possibly be used as evidence/support.

This really helped for not only allowing them to see that the claim was genuine, but also in reducing some of their work, which they appreciated.

In my case, they confirmed that it had been received at the courier depot, but had no record after that. The ensuing insurance paperwork took a while to go back and forth, but it eventually got sorted ... but the real lesson for me was to document everything.

Chief Librarian/Curator, Isaac Leibowitz Librarmoury

Schallern sind sehr sexy!
Larry New

PostPosted: Thu 17 Apr, 2014 3:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've had to deal with them (PO)a few times. They almost without fail require you to wait 30 days. They claim priority is an "expectation" and not a guarantee.
James Cunniffe

PostPosted: Thu 17 Apr, 2014 5:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I don't know where to start I was tracking my package from Ireland it got to Chicago USPO half a mile away from my house. It was scanned and out for delivery. ... Never got it. ... called USPS. Spoke with the postman in my area said he would look for it. After a number of calls and a so called investigation they told me the post person had delivered it just forgot to scan it when the delivery was made. ... so long story short I never got the package they lost it and won't admit it.
I was told if I was not happy with the decision of the investigation to call another number to report it stolen... which I didn't as I didn't need the headache of flogging a dead horse.
Hope you have Better luck than me Patrick. .

Though the pen is mightier than the sword,
the sword speaks louder and stronger at any given moment.
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Fri 18 Apr, 2014 12:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, the sword arrived today. Actually, apparently it's been sitting at the PO in Los Angeles for who knows how long. My customer went down there on another matter and they found it in the back. Eek!

At least it's a good way to start the weekend!

Thanks for all the replies.

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Insurance claims with the Post Office................
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic