Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Cloth boots? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Victor Sloan

PostPosted: Fri 04 Apr, 2014 7:14 am    Post subject: Cloth boots?         Reply with quote

Hello everyone! I promise that I posted this the other day but I must have accidentally hit the wrong button and it didn't go through.

Either way, I know that fabrics rarely last through the test of time, but are there any examples of cloth boots, perhaps knee length boots that would have been made in layers? And if so, what would the soles have been made of? Leather? Layers of cloth? Or maybe wooden soles?

Forgive me for so many question, but I have been considering making books and fabric is much less expensive than leather.

Thanks everyone!

Looking to start HEMA!
Joel Minturn

PostPosted: Fri 04 Apr, 2014 7:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I haven't heard of cloth shoes or boots before. I have seen felt boots before but those are winter boots for the ice and snow. Unfortunately making those would not be cheaper than leather. I have a feeling the cheapest option would be to make leather turn shoes.

I belelieve that boots were really only worn when riding. So as cool as they are shoes are the way to go. And they would be easier to make. Get some practice in on the shoes then go to the boots.
Victor Sloan

PostPosted: Fri 04 Apr, 2014 7:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joel Minturn wrote:
I haven't heard of cloth shoes or boots before. I have seen felt boots before but those are winter boots for the ice and snow. Unfortunately making those would not be cheaper than leather. I have a feeling the cheapest option would be to make leather turn shoes.

I belelieve that boots were really only worn when riding. So as cool as they are shoes are the way to go. And they would be easier to make. Get some practice in on the shoes then go to the boots.

Thanks so much! I figured it would be such, with the looking I've been doing. Most definitely seem to be only leather historically other than the aforementioned felt boots. I could easily make those but unless I find a very good local source of wool (though I have several), it definitely wouldn't be any cheaper than leather.

I may still make a pair of boots for myself which aren't historical but still have a medieval or renaissance styling. Perhaps layers of canvas or denim that have been waxed would work well!

Looking to start HEMA!
Mark Griffin

Location: The Welsh Marches, in the hills above Newtown, Powys.

PostPosted: Fri 04 Apr, 2014 9:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Think there are some liturgical ones, try looking in Larsdatter. But they would be for the extremely well off.
Currently working on projects ranging from Elizabethan pageants to a WW1 Tank, Victorian fairgrounds 1066 events and more. Oh and we joust loads!.. We run over 250 events for English Heritage each year plus many others for Historic Royal Palaces, Historic Scotland, the National Trust and more. If you live in the UK and are interested in working for us just drop us a line with a cv.
Martin Moser

PostPosted: Fri 04 Apr, 2014 10:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If you want to make anything vaguely authentic, give up on that idea. Cloth shoes exist, but are typically women's or burial shoes. Sometimes you get men's, but some of them have leather underneath and are a sign of being very well to do (and not boots!).
OTOH, if you don't care about that, why not go ahead and make some from denim or whatever :-)

Cheers,
Martin

https://www.facebook.com/leatherworkthroughtheages/
Victor Sloan

PostPosted: Fri 04 Apr, 2014 11:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Martin Moser wrote:
If you want to make anything vaguely authentic, give up on that idea. Cloth shoes exist, but are typically women's or burial shoes. Sometimes you get men's, but some of them have leather underneath and are a sign of being very well to do (and not boots!).
OTOH, if you don't care about that, why not go ahead and make some from denim or whatever :-)

Yeah, one of these days I will definitely make some historical leather shoes and boots, but I definitely want to make some fabric ones too just to explore not only historicity but also utility of different materials Happy

Looking to start HEMA!
Victor Sloan

PostPosted: Fri 04 Apr, 2014 11:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mark Griffin wrote:
Think there are some liturgical ones, try looking in Larsdatter. But they would be for the extremely well off.

Thanks for the clue! I'll look into that!

Looking to start HEMA!
Mark Moore

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Fri 04 Apr, 2014 3:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Have you thought about using faux leather? You can get it anywhere cloth is sold. It's kinda thin, so you might want to glue it to a heavier fabric like denim or heavy canvas. And it's cheap. Big Grin ........McM
''Life is like a box of chocolates...'' --- F. Gump
Victor Sloan

PostPosted: Fri 04 Apr, 2014 5:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mark Moore wrote:
Have you thought about using faux leather? You can get it anywhere cloth is sold. It's kinda thin, so you might want to glue it to a heavier fabric like denim or heavy canvas. And it's cheap. Big Grin ........McM

That is indeed one great idea, but I'm personally not a fan of faux leather. Thanks for the tip though!

Looking to start HEMA!
Mark Moore

PostPosted: Fri 04 Apr, 2014 8:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It would be pretty good for costume boots. I wouldn't go walking through a brush patch with them though. Sticker bushes....Ouch! ...............McM
Victor Sloan

PostPosted: Fri 04 Apr, 2014 8:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yeah those would definitely be alright for costume but I do plan on looking into leather prices to make some real leather shoes. Those would be my nice ones and maybe my waxed denim/canvas ones would be for going on walks and such.
Looking to start HEMA!
Mark Moore

PostPosted: Sun 06 Apr, 2014 2:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You have got me reeeeally thinking now, Victor. I may try this myself. Big Grin ........McM
Victor Sloan

PostPosted: Sun 06 Apr, 2014 7:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Awesome! Let me know if you try this! I would love to see the progress and the product!
Looking to start HEMA!
Mark Moore

PostPosted: Mon 07 Apr, 2014 4:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I will do just that, Victor. Rest assured. Just last night, I drew out a pattern for a high boot to wear with my kilt. ...............mcm
Victor Sloan

PostPosted: Mon 07 Apr, 2014 7:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Awesome! One thing I considered to lessen cost is to buy 3 or 4 yards of the canvas or denim you plan on using, which would be more than plenty to make the full pair of boots, most likely, but you could also either save money or add fabric layers by going to goodwill and buying some old flat sheets that would be folded and layered on the inside. I have also considered using old sheets or towels for the padding in a gambeson as well.
Looking to start HEMA!
Mark Moore

PostPosted: Mon 07 Apr, 2014 3:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You sound like a man after my own heart, Victor. A real DIY kinda fellow! Laughing Out Loud .......McM
Victor Sloan

PostPosted: Tue 08 Apr, 2014 6:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mark Moore wrote:
You sound like a man after my own heart, Victor. A real DIY kinda fellow! Laughing Out Loud .......McM

I love to make things! Anything I can create, I want to do so!

Looking to start HEMA!

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Cloth boots?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic