Norse war knife (or broad sax?)
Here is a commissioned piece in which the customer wanted a semi-relic appearance. Four bar composite blade (antique wrought iron center bar), nickel and buffalo spacers with Lake Superior diver-salvaged black oak.. old growth. A bloomery iron pommel nut. 10 inch blade. The inletted wire wraps were found on examples of 'Baltic war knives'. I hesitated to call this 'war knife' as it seems the blade may be a bit wide.. but perhaps not wide enough for 'broad sax'?

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]
That's great Scott. A lot of your pieces, if you don't mind me saying have a very organic quality to them which I think really works well. This one in particular really displays that to me. I really like it.
Oh yes, I like that.
Lovely work Scott!
Thanks a lot guys.

I see that I need to do something about the first photograph.. Something in the sharpness makes the finish look funky on the blade. It looks nothing like that on my owns screen.... The second photo is a better representation... ughh.. not sure what image sharing across different servers does to the image!
seax
Well Scott,
Whatever you decide to call it, and it would be open to debate, it is a magnificent blade and knife. Wish it were mine!
Robert
great
Scott,
I LOVE this one. I will be making something a lot like it in the near future. It is just great.
kc

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: