Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Sharp Steel Swords Made Blunts? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Victor Sloan

PostPosted: Sun 30 Mar, 2014 8:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeffrey Faulk wrote:
Minor note: Hanwei CAS Iberia blunts are of OK quality. Not awesome, but not utterly dog's meat either. They will have softer metal than the better quality blunts, so you'll spend more time cleaning up dings and such. Hanwei Tinker blunts are a little harder (not by a whole lot but some), and the hex-nut assembly means that while they may loosen somewhat with use all you really need to do is tighten up the nut a little. The grips aren't glued in with those, either, at least not on the hex-nut pieces.

Hanwei does have a Federschwert for reasonable price, it won't really compare to a Fabri Armorum or Albion or A&A but it'll do for a beginner. Or you could just save your pennies while you're at it.

One of the best pieces out there... IF you can find it in the classifieds... is the Angus Trim "I-beam" blunt. They're not really being made anymore though and those holding them tend to hold them very tightly indeed!

You're really better off buying a Hanwei Tinker blunt than trying to file down the edge on a cheap Windlass or some such move, though. Not only is it safer from the get-go, you won't be screwing up a perfectly good sword to make a half-hearted blunt.

Thanks so much for the informative response! I believe I will definitely wait for some time before sparring with steel, that way I can afford a good Fabri Armorum, or better yet, an Albion--I would prefer to have a blunt longsword over a feder unless feders have some great advantage over the Liechtenauer, for example.

Looking to start HEMA!
Victor Sloan

PostPosted: Sun 30 Mar, 2014 8:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ben Coomer wrote:
Arms and Armor have a good selection of steel trainers as well. They also are willing to customize if you have particulars about what you want.

Here's my customized Spada de Zogho:
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-wygjTj6MsEk/Uzh6ZAflQ9I/AAAAAAAAAtY/w1gPyGKgxdo/w732-h549-no/14+-+1

I had a wheel pommel added and the hilt lengthened slightly. Also had them dye the leather red just because.

Its pretty sweet overall. Its a pretty close approximation to my favorite sword, which is what I wanted. Obviously it is a bit pricier than a Rawlings or CS, but as far as simulators go, a steel blunt is usually going to perform more like an actual sword. Particularly for drills and the like.

Until you save up though, there's nothing wrong with the Rawlings (well maybe a bit in whippiness...) or a solid waster for the time being.

Awesome, thanks so much for sharing your trainer! It is a very nice one indeed! Thanks so much! It will probably take me a long time to save, but well worth the wait!

Looking to start HEMA!

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Sharp Steel Swords Made Blunts?
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: