Late Migration Sword Specs
I found this lovely short sword on the Christie's site with a 23 3/4" blade. I am looking to have it replicated but have never seen anything like it. Has anyone seen it before and know where I may find further info/stats.

http://www.christies.com/lotfinder/lot/a-late...ID=4953367
Late Migration Sword Specs
[ Linked Image ]
I have never seen a late Migration era sword like this before. But I think that will be a good idea to replicate it, Phil.
Re: Late Migration Sword Specs
Shahril Dzulkifli wrote:
[ Linked Image ]
I have never seen a late Migration era sword like this before. But I think that will be a good idea to replicate it, Phil.

If it's not a fake. It looks weird to me. Blade looks like something late Roman, but hilt is just strange. I don't think it's a late migration period sword. Maybe a composite of some original and some fake parts.
Re: Late Migration Sword Specs
Luka Borscak wrote:
Shahril Dzulkifli wrote:
[ Linked Image ]

If it's not a fake. It looks weird to me. Blade looks like something late Roman, but hilt is just strange. I don't think it's a late migration period sword. Maybe a composite of some original and some fake parts.

To say I was dubious of this swords authenticity would be an understatement.

All swords without solid provenance need to be treated as suspect... One's at auction houses doubly so... Ones that fall entirely outside even remote resemblance to other examples from the same period even more so.

So yeah... I'd treat this sword as very suspect until solid provenance was provided or other examples of a similar form with solid provenance were found.
Hilt fittings are totally wrong for a migration period Western European sword.
Might be from further afield I suppose.
Hilt to blade ratio looks very odd.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: