Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > New Sword of War by Lutel HandicraftsProduct Review Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
William Carew

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 27 Mar, 2014 5:05 am    Post subject: New Sword of War by Lutel Handicrafts         Reply with quote

I received my custom 'Great Sword of War' today from Lutel Handicrafts. I originally asked for an XIIIa but I think the final sword kinda bridges the gap between an XIIIa and XIIa. Never mind, the sword is fantastic. Really well finished and handles nicely. Pretty hefty, but this is a blunt for WMA practice and it is BIG sword (longer than the Hanwei Great Sword of War, which I also have) and it would be a real chopper in earnest.

I will have to wait until the weekend to take some decent daytime photos. In the meantime, here are some pics of the sword LH took before sending it over as well as a quick pic I took this evening with the LH lined up against the Hanwei GSoW to provide some sense of scale for those who know how big the Hanwei is.

I'm really happy once more with the LH quality and service. Great fit, finish and incredible value, and I think the aesthetics on this give swords costing twice or three times as much a run for their money.

Stats from LH:

"Blade - 97cm, width 5cm under guard
Handle - 22cm + 5,5cm pommel
Cross-guard - 23cm
Weight - 1,78kg
P.o.b. - 13cm under guard (blunt version)
Customized belt+scabbard type D (custom chape,rain flap)

Sword type Oakeshott XIIa or XIIIa"

Attachment: 103.98 KB
gsow006.jpg

Attachment: 97.85 KB
gsow007.jpg

Attachment: 87.59 KB
gsow008.jpg

Attachment: 66.05 KB
gsow001.jpg
Hanwei GSoW on top, Lutel on the bottom

Bill Carew
Jogo do Pau Brisbane
COLLEGIUM IN ARMIS
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Thu 27 Mar, 2014 7:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It looks nice and solid. How much distal taper does it have? I know it's a blunt, but that will make it more nimble.
Foong Chen Hong

PostPosted: Thu 27 Mar, 2014 1:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I wonder how much this cost you? I am thinking about ordering similar sword from them
Descanse En Paz
William Carew

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 27 Mar, 2014 11:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Foong Chen Hong wrote:
I wonder how much this cost you? I am thinking about ordering similar sword from them

About $700 (Australian dollars) when I ordered last year. Sharpening costs a bit more. A bargain if you ask me for the level of quality, fit and finish. And it comes with a very serviceable scabbard and belt while most mid to high cost swords these days do not.

Roger Hooper wrote:
It looks nice and solid. How much distal taper does it have? I know it's a blunt, but that will make it more nimble.

It has a bit of distal taper. The blunt version is quite hefty, but still within historical weights (1.8kg), as you'd expect with quite a wide blade and a thick blunt edge. A sharp would be even livelier. I wouldn't expect or want a sword of war like this to be a nimble little rapier substitute... the balance and heft of the blade would be exactly what would have been needed in a battle blade going up against armoured opponents.

Bill Carew
Jogo do Pau Brisbane
COLLEGIUM IN ARMIS
Tim Seaton

PostPosted: Fri 28 Mar, 2014 6:42 am    Post subject: lutel         Reply with quote

Congratulations on your new sword. I totally recommended them to any body that wonts a well balance , well built sword . I Have 3 long swords from lutel
Iam totally satisfied with there craftsmanship , and there customer service is truly a pleasure!!

Attachment: 198.15 KB
b_138.jpeg

Attachment: 185.42 KB
longsword_15006aaw_165.jpeg

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > New Sword of War by Lutel HandicraftsProduct Review
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic