A question on grip wraps....
I think I remember reading something about this in another thread, so if this is old hash, I'm sorry. Anyway....My question is this.....Other than a complete rewrap , is there any way to turn a black wrap brown? I know that black dye sets in pretty hard. Has anyone done this successfully? I have a couple of swords and scabbards in black that I would love to see go more of a battle-worn dark brown. At this point, I just can't afford to have it pro-done, and my leather working skills are limited. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!...........McM
I've never had great luck COMPLETELY removing black dye from leather. I've had a DEGREE of luck with cheap dye jobs like those found on commercial HT scabbards.

On these, I've been able to remove a LOT of the "dye" (really more like shoe polish) with paper towels & Acetone. IF it works, you'll be left with GREY leather. The only Brown I would then go for is a DARK Brown.
If your leather working skills are limited, they're a tonne more advanced than mine were when I did my first grip wrap. I was over the moon with the result, really proud and it turned a simple windlass into something I really enjoy looking at!

Obviously it may just not be something that you wanna try, but if you're even a tad curious I say go for it! You can remove an existing leather wrap neatly and if it all goes horribly wrong with a new one just glue it back on!

By the way, I used coffee grinds to stain my cheap nasty veg tanned leather when I tried it, and after one wipe with the coffee using a rag, and some beeswax polish I've got a sexy battle-worn, "campaign" Brown, which I love.
Will S wrote:
If your leather working skills are limited, they're a tonne more advanced than mine were when I did my first grip wrap. I was over the moon with the result, really proud and it turned a simple windlass into something I really enjoy looking at!

Obviously it may just not be something that you wanna try, but if you're even a tad curious I say go for it! You can remove an existing leather wrap neatly and if it all goes horribly wrong with a new one just glue it back on!

By the way, I used coffee grinds to stain my cheap nasty veg tanned leather when I tried it, and after one wipe with the coffee using a rag, and some beeswax polish I've got a sexy battle-worn, "campaign" Brown, which I love.

This is a wonderful idea! Thank you!
Will S wrote:

And really? I would say this is the BEST advice. You're going to get far better results with a re-wrap. You'll want a little 2 Oz leather - but you won't need much.

This also allows you to really LOOK at the grip core. Was it cord wrapped? How well? Always KNOW your sword :).

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: