Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > My video stolen on you tube by Historical Armouries Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Bruno Giordan

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 18 Mar, 2014 1:50 pm    Post subject: My video stolen on you tube by Historical Armouries         Reply with quote

Browsing youtube I ran into an unauthorized copy of a video of myself and Mr. Michele Cattaneo grinding a sword on an ancient grindstone at the brescian maglio of San Bartolomeo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8h9JUe1uITs

This video was never authorized and Historical Armouries appropriated of my work.

This is the original video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96ED4QWSbgI

Anybody can see what has been done.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Tue 18 Mar, 2014 2:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

So report it to YouTube.
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Raman A

PostPosted: Tue 18 Mar, 2014 6:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

What Nathan said, make a copyright claim on the video.
Bruno Giordan

PostPosted: Tue 18 Mar, 2014 11:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Good idea, but I haven't found a link or button to do it so far.

EDIT

I have found a copyright infringement form.

I'm still appalled at how brazen this author was in appropriating of my video.
William M

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Wed 19 Mar, 2014 1:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Happens all the time. I once found some photos of my sword collection on somebodys website. They didn't respond to any emails asking to remove my photos and I gave up in the end as the website wasn't monetizing any page views.
Mark Griffin

Location: The Welsh Marches, in the hills above Newtown, Powys.

PostPosted: Wed 19 Mar, 2014 5:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for posting this. made me go and look at 'their' other work.

The best thing I can say is repeat the words of an arms and armour curator I heard yesterday.

'There are plenty of people making armour. But there are very few armourers.'

Currently working on projects ranging from Elizabethan pageants to a WW1 Tank, Victorian fairgrounds 1066 events and more. Oh and we joust loads!.. We run over 250 events for English Heritage each year plus many others for Historic Royal Palaces, Historic Scotland, the National Trust and more. If you live in the UK and are interested in working for us just drop us a line with a cv.
Raman A

PostPosted: Wed 19 Mar, 2014 1:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bruno Giordan wrote:
Good idea, but I haven't found a link or button to do it so far.

EDIT

I have found a copyright infringement form.

I'm still appalled at how brazen this author was in appropriating of my video.

It's the internet, it happens. Youtube in particular has been cracking down on it lately, though, so it should get taken down and their account will probably get a strike or be removed.
Eric S

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Wed 19 Mar, 2014 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: My video stolen on you tube by Historical Armouries         Reply with quote

Bruno Giordan wrote:
Browsing youtube I ran into an unauthorized copy of a video of myself and Mr. Michele Cattaneo grinding a sword on an ancient grindstone at the brescian maglio of San Bartolomeo.

This video was never authorized and Historical Armouries appropriated of my work.

I am not sure why you are so upset, unless they were selling it, or you are selling it and their actions were costing you sales what is the big deal, you made the video to be watched it seems, what actual harm was being done?
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Wed 19 Mar, 2014 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: My video stolen on you tube by Historical Armouries         Reply with quote

Eric S wrote:
Bruno Giordan wrote:

I am not sure why you are so upset, unless they were selling it, or you are selling it and their actions were costing you sales what is the big deal, you made the video to be watched it seems, what actual harm was being done?

Because it's a violation of intellectual property rights. His efforts were not recognized. We are all afforded the right for our work product to be utilized in the methods we, the creators, choose.

If these people want to use it for their purposes, for profit or not, they are required by law and by morality to contact the owner and negotiate the terms by which they can use it. This generally involves some form of compensation. This represents a loss of potential revenue to the content creator.

When people still our work, they are stealing our ability to define how our work is to be used, viewed, or otherwise consumed. They are infringing upon our rights.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Eric S

PostPosted: Wed 19 Mar, 2014 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: My video stolen on you tube by Historical Armouries         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:

Because it's a violation of intellectual property rights. His efforts were not recognized. We are all afforded the right for our work product to be utilized in the methods we, the creators, choose.

If these people want to use it for their purposes, for profit or not, they are required by law and by morality to contact the owner and negotiate the terms by which they can use it. This generally involves some form of compensation. This represents a loss of potential revenue to the content creator.

When people steal our work, they are stealing our ability to define how our work is to be used, viewed, or otherwise consumed. They are infringing upon our rights.

Nathan, what about all of the images and text posted, quoted, etc on forums, you could say the same for them couldnt you?
Scott S.

PostPosted: Wed 19 Mar, 2014 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: My video stolen on you tube by Historical Armouries         Reply with quote

Eric S wrote:

Nathan, what about all of the images and text posted, quoted, etc on forums, you could say the same for them couldnt you?

Eric, I sincerely doubt anyone here has the time or inclination to follow you down that particular rabbit hole.

Bruno, I wish you luck and hope you receive satisfaction, please keep us apprised.

Perhaps someone can recommend a good legal site re: Internet / intellectual property rights for Eric??
Colt Reeves

PostPosted: Wed 19 Mar, 2014 9:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If it were me I would say the biggest offense was putting that horrid soundtrack over the video. I mean, that is just insulting. ;D
"Tears are for the craven, prayers are for the clown.
Halters for the silly neck that cannot keep a crown.
As my loss is grievous, so my hope is small.
For Iron, Cold Iron, must be master of men all..."
-Cold Iron, Rudyard Kipling
Bruno Giordan

PostPosted: Thu 20 Mar, 2014 12:33 am    Post subject: Re: My video stolen on you tube by Historical Armouries         Reply with quote

Eric S wrote:
Bruno Giordan wrote:

Well, first of all one feels as if his house had been broken in, secondly it is immoral to appropriate of somebody else's work and any behavior like this must be sanctioned for the sake of the entire community of sword enthusiasts.

These guys were claiming to be grinding swords that particular way, which was highly misleading to all prospective customers. This is a not very honest business practice so this lead me to post it here.

You tube has just removed the video.

Thanks everybody for your support.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Thu 20 Mar, 2014 1:57 am    Post subject: Re: My video stolen on you tube by Historical Armouries         Reply with quote

Eric S wrote:
Nathan Robinson wrote:

When people steal our work, they are stealing our ability to define how our work is to be used, viewed, or otherwise consumed. They are infringing upon our rights.

Please look up "fair use" law.

And contrast that with me spending good hard-earned cash on usage rights for our publishing efforts here on myArmoury.com.

Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Thu 20 Mar, 2014 2:00 am    Post subject: Re: My video stolen on you tube by Historical Armouries         Reply with quote

Bruno Giordan wrote:
Eric S wrote:
Bruno Giordan wrote:

Well, first of all one feels as if his house had been broken in, secondly it is immoral to appropriate of somebody else's work and any behavior like this must be sanctioned for the sake of the entire community of sword enthusiasts.

These guys were claiming to be grinding swords that particular way, which was highly misleading to all prospective customers. This is a not very honest business practice so this lead me to post it here.

You tube has just removed the video.

Thanks everybody for your support.

Bruno: thank you for posting this. I am glad a positive resolution has surfaced.

Cheers

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > My video stolen on you tube by Historical Armouries
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic