Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Lancaster Carbine Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Cliff Peiffer

PostPosted: Thu 13 Mar, 2014 12:17 am    Post subject: Lancaster Carbine         Reply with quote

Greetings,

I have an opportunity to purchase what is described as a Charles Lancaster Carbine (which is a muzzellaoder) with Victorian Army mark on butt plate, it comes complete with original bayonet. It is described as rare and in fine condition. Although the firearm looks as if it has has much use the mechanism is very tight and almost feels unused.

I would very much appreciate any advice in relation to its authenticity (from the photos attached) and what its potential value is.

I look forward to your assistance and response

Kind regards

Cliff

Attachment: 231.86 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 226.39 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 193.28 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 199.6 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 220.04 KB
[ Download ]
Neil Melville

PostPosted: Thu 13 Mar, 2014 4:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Cliff,
Your carbine looks OK, tho' a full-length photo would help. Also known as Lancaster's Royal Engineer's Carbine, it is most unusual in having an oval rifled bore (Lancaster's patent). Adopted for the RE in 1855. Numbers were also made for Volunteer Rifle Regiments, so it has a high curiosity value. Alas I have no idea of its current commercial value, but condition is important and rarity is a plus. If you like it and IF you can afford what is being asked, go for it - or wait and see if anyone else can advise more accurately.
Neil

N Melville
Cliff Peiffer

PostPosted: Thu 13 Mar, 2014 4:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the prompt response Neil,

They are asking $1650, would this be reasonable?

Regards Cliff
Neil Melville

PostPosted: Sat 15 Mar, 2014 6:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Afraid I don't know the exchange rate for A-dollar to £, and as I said I am not familiar with current trade values for such as this carbine. So much depends on condition - but $1650 seems a bit high. Sorry I can't be more helpful.
Neil

N Melville
Jonathan Fletcher

PostPosted: Sun 16 Mar, 2014 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reduced bore volunteer carbine         Reply with quote

Cliff.

The '26' marking at the breech indicates the bore size: 26 bore, making this a .568" reduced bore Lancaster Engineer's carbine.

Ordnance issue carbines, as used by the Royal Engineers, were 25 bore (.577) and carried the crown and VR marking on the lock along with ordnance acceptance marks.

This carbine, with a plain Charles Lancaster marked lock is a 'volunteer' carbine made for private purchase, although looking at the WD stamping on the sight and the 'V.F.' issue marking on the butt plate tang, I suspect it is one of the carbines ordered by the state of Victoria.

Have a search on the internet for 'reduced bore Lancaster Engineers carbine' or similar and you should find information and some examples of prices. I gather Lancaster reduced the bore because there was criticism of the accuracy of the .577" version when shooting the standard service ball. The reduced bore carbine could still accept the service bullet and was a better shooter.

The Lancaster oval bore shoots quite well and is a gem to clean, bit like swabbing out a shotgun barrel only the cleaning rod turns with the rifling as you insert and extract it. I used to shoot a Snider-Lancaster breech loader and that's an even rarer beast. It was pretty accurate (albeit this with the advantage of a breech loaded oversized bullet), a lot of fun and clean in minutes. Sold it in a trade and still looking for another...

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Lancaster Carbine
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic