Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > What's the word on the Albion Cluny? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Lloyd Winter

PostPosted: Fri 07 Mar, 2014 1:26 pm    Post subject: What's the word on the Albion Cluny?         Reply with quote

I've never seen anyone say they own this sword.
I have seen several people say they've handled it and they love it. I've also seen a few comments from people that they don't like it.

I'd be interested to hear from anyone who owns this sword to see what they think, both the good and the bad.

Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks
Shahril Dzulkifli

PostPosted: Sun 09 Mar, 2014 1:19 am    Post subject: What's the word on the Albion Cluny?         Reply with quote

I guess there must be somebody here in this forum who owns an Albion Cluny sword.

“You have power over your mind - not outside events. Realize this, and you will find strength”

- Marcus Aurelius
William M

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Sun 09 Mar, 2014 1:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Plenty, it would be good to just do a search on the forum as I am sure that will bring up a lot of threads.
From what I have read on the forum, the general consensus is that the sword handles like a lightsaber, which is to say it is incredibly light and responsive. The blade of course is quite thin but is still quite stiff.

Personally I would love one and I keep my eyes open for any second hand ones popping up on the European market.
Matthew P. Adams

PostPosted: Mon 10 Mar, 2014 9:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

William M wrote:
Plenty, it would be good to just do a search on the forum as I am sure that will bring up a lot of threads.

Actually when I saw the question I did a topic search for Albion Cluny, and I didn't see any threads dedicated to it.

"We do not rise to the level of our expectations. We fall to the level of our training" Archilochus, Greek Soldier, Poet, c. 650 BC
William M

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Mon 10 Mar, 2014 9:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hmm right you are! I have read quite a bit about it in general chit-chat on the forums, sorry I thought I had seen some dedicated topics! Happy Here is one on another forum. http://www.sword-forum.com//viewtopic.php?f=1...ilit=cluny
Lloyd Winter

PostPosted: Mon 10 Mar, 2014 11:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I did search for other threads before posting this and found nothing. I'd also seen that sword-forum.com thread.
I pulled the trigger today and ordered a Cluny so I'll let everyone know in 6 months or so.
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Mon 10 Mar, 2014 11:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lloyd Winter wrote:
I did search for other threads before posting this and found nothing. I'd also seen that sword-forum.com thread.
I pulled the trigger today and ordered a Cluny so I'll let everyone know in 6 months or so.

I look forward to that telling - with lots of great pictures and specs Happy That's I sword that I'd very much like to have.
Lloyd Winter

PostPosted: Thu 26 Jun, 2014 6:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My Cluny arrived today. I'm still playing with it so detailed comments will have to wait, but WOW!
And the first ding has already been applied to the pommel ;-)
Less than 4 months from order to delivery via Kult of Athena including a visit to Christian Fletcher's shop.
Here are some quick pics with my 16th century German longsword for comparison.

Mark T

PostPosted: Thu 26 Jun, 2014 7:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Lloyd,

Thanks for starting this thread - I, too, have been wanting to read reviews of the Cluny.

Can you tell us more about the 16th C longsword?

Chief Librarian/Curator, Isaac Leibowitz Librarmoury

Schallern sind sehr sexy!
Kai Lawson

PostPosted: Thu 26 Jun, 2014 8:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've dry handled it a couple of times, and each time I got the same impression: it's unlike any other sword I've ever handled. In person, it looks like some of the bigger A&A rapiers, but with the longer grip, it feels 'livelier' to me. Easily as maneuverable with one hand as with two, it felt like wielding a giant needle with edges. Not slice and dice edges, but slit open skin and muscle edges. Impressively stiff and veeeery responsive, it seemed (to my untrained self) to be exactly what you would expect: a dueling sword to the core (though that doesn't mean it is one). Not at all my cup of tea, but a mind boggling feat of material engineering, and amazingly comfortable to use.
That said, it is nothing like the other XVs in Albion's line-up, and things like the Munich or Poitiers or Lancaster or any of the others have much more physical presence. The Cluny is a sword you could fight a longsword or rapier with, if you were good enough, or clip someone's mustache from their face with a quick tip cut. Thrusting through heavier clothes would likely be fine too (would likely not cut/slice through too many layers), but if anyone is thinking of armored or mounted combat, they might want to think again.

A very interesting sword obviously made for an individual who knew exactly what they were about.

"And they crossed swords."
--William Goldman, alias S. Morgenstern
Lloyd Winter

PostPosted: Thu 26 Jun, 2014 8:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That was my first sword back in 1985.
It's a Salamander Armoury blade with fittings by Greig Fors.
It has a 38.5" blade with a 10" hilt.
5" balance point and about 60 oz as I recall.
The guard is loosely based on one from the Wallace Collection but I can't remember the catalog number right now.
It's almost exactly the same length tip to tip as the Cluny, but the Cluny is a little longer in the blade.

The Cluny is surprisingly fast and light and compared to my 16th century longsword it feels like I'm holding a feather in my hands.

Now if you'll excuse me I have a date with my new sword Big Grin
Lloyd Winter

PostPosted: Thu 26 Jun, 2014 8:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Kai, I absolutely agree I've never handled anything like this.
Definitely not for armored opponents but a lovely civilian dueling sword.
It's a very complex sword and I look forward to spending a lot of time figuring out all of its intricacies.
Hector A.

PostPosted: Sun 29 Jun, 2014 1:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Tell us more Lloyd i am very intrigued.
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sun 29 Jun, 2014 2:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The Cluny isn't my type of sword at all, but I love the aesthetics of it. I'd love to have one and please give us more impressions of it.
"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Lloyd Winter

PostPosted: Sun 29 Jun, 2014 4:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It's a longsword, no it's a rapier, no, it's a 2 handed rapier?

It's strange. I have not been able to use a longsword for a long time due to some neurological issues.
I bought the Cluny specifically because of it's weight and while I finally have a longsword I can use again I've almost completely forgotten how to use said longsword. I find that I keep reverting back to single handed techniques without thinking so I'm going to have to retrain myself to use a longsword. What I can report right now is that the single handed capabilities of this sword are impressive. Its fast enough enough in one hand that warding or thrusting feels solid and when you start using 2 hands the game really opens up.
The rapier comparisons are inevitable with this sword, so let's get straight to them. Several of my rapiers are pretty close in blade length to the Cluny, and most of them have more blade presence too. The Cluny has a much closer CoG than most of my rapiers. Couple that with the power from the longsword hilt and this is a sword that could easily face off against a rapier assuming you can protect your hands.
I haven't done any test cutting yet, and I'm still working on getting both my shoulders to work at the same time so that's pretty much all I have to say about the handling right now. Kai Lawson said it best when he said this sword handles like nothing else I've ever handled.
Aside from the handling characteristics, which are perfect for someone with my physical problems this may be the most beautiful modern sword I've ever seen, and I think I've seen my fair share of modern swords. My better half who does have some appreciation for sword even if it does not rise to the level of most of us said "that is a beautiful sword" as soon as she laid eyes on it.
Kai Lawson

PostPosted: Sun 29 Jun, 2014 5:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I honestly don't really care for it too much, but I'll be the first to admit that it is something else...such speed, exacting performance and elegance bundled into something like that makes me wonder how many other individuals could craft something like it, without having seen this one before. I think armored combat in a duel setting could work, but the wielder would have to be careful not to snap the blade. It's robust enough to be put through some paces, but not something you would really want to crank with, per se.

I always feel like the Incredible Shrinking Man with his needle/pin when I hold it. You could use that sword for so many different styles of swordsmanship--and not just european stuff.

If you like light, precise weapons that are still very much functional, this might well be the sword for you. And ultimately, in this day and age, that's the whole point: as long as it works for you.

"And they crossed swords."
--William Goldman, alias S. Morgenstern
Peter Johnsson
Industry Professional

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Mon 30 Jun, 2014 2:06 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

So, with some members of the forum having direct personal experience of the Cluny, perhaps I can ask you if you think my write up of the sword for its presentation page sums up its characteristics in a decent way?
- I would really like to get feedabck on this since I do try to give a good description of the sword in these texts: that is the reason for their being. I feel it is important to provide a good description of the sword in these texts as this is often the only thing a customer has to go by when buying a sword online.

To quote the part of the text that focus on the heft and handling of the Cluny:

"As you grasp this sword you are struck by how very quick and well balanced it is, nimble and light like some rapiers but with space for two hands.

It is well balanced, not just in that it is very sweet, light and responsive, but also in that it is so clearly and purposefully suited for a fast type of sword play, that relies on precise thrusts and well aimed and timed cuts. For a weapon of this character, designed for encounters where speed and agility will be a deciding factor, it may perhaps be tempting to classify it as a civilian weapon. While it would surely be very useful in a fight between unarmored opponents, we must not forget that swords of this type are depicted in late 15th C paintings of military saints in full armour.

In art of this period we also see young men about town, or on horse back in civilian clothes, with swords such as this strapped to their waist.

Being favored for both unarmored and military use, perhaps this kind of very handy long swords are predecessors of the rapier?"

And:

"The Cluny sword stands out not only because it is a splendid example of its type, but also because it is such a beautiful example of the swordsmith´s art. Its maker combined supreme functionality with a highly developed sense of form, creating an object that perfectly expresses the spirit of its time."

-Looking forward to hear what you think.
Thanks!
Vincent Le Chevalier

Reading list: 15 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 01 Jul, 2014 1:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I did some analysis of the Cluny sword based on the info Peter gave in this post, using my stick and mass equivalent. The stick density of the Cluny is just a hair over 300g/m, which is well in the range for the rapiers or light cut&thrust swords. It sits right between my Darkwood rapier and my Danelli sidesword. So yeah, I'd say "two-handed rapier" is quite representative, as far as the mass distribution is concerned...

The Ljubljana is a lot more heavy in the stick, at around 500g/m.

Regards,

--
Vincent
Ensis Sub Caelo
Lloyd Winter

PostPosted: Tue 01 Jul, 2014 4:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Peter, I've always loved your write up for the Cluny and I agree on all points except one, that being the armoured usage for this sword.
While its accurate to say that swords of this type are used for armoured combat I don't think that it's accurate to say that this sword was used for armoured combat, that's just my opinion and I'm sure others will disagree but it's pretty firmly lodged at this point.

I really wish there was a larger sample of period swords for comparison. The original just screams quality in a way that very few other swords I've seen can match. I'm very curious as to whether the original was seen as such a master piece back in the day as it is now? In any case we are very lucky it survived In the condition that it did. I've been in love with this sword since the very first time I saw a picture of it. To my eye it's one of the most beautiful original swords out there and a very impressive repro of it too!

One friend has described it as the ultimate swagger sword Laughing Out Loud
Hector A.

PostPosted: Wed 02 Jul, 2014 10:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Is the clunny very stiff? A weapon that long and thin is bound to be a little wobbly, something u can eliminate threw half swording, then again, its not a sword to fight armor.

Anyway do u get that feeling when u hit the pommel it waggles a lot in the center of the blade?

Where rapiers that wobbly also since they are also long and thin?

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > What's the word on the Albion Cluny?
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: