Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Excellent swords here!!

Right, from the jaguars to the mini metro :lol: here's my practical sword

http://www.re-enactmentshop.com/ME-Hanwei%20p...0sword.JPG

Although i've now changed the scabbard it's a very nice sword. Great for teaching with and demonstrating as well as slashing up the battlefield. Connect four in sword terms gentlemen ;) speaking of which I missed Lindesfarne this year but if anyone here went, post yer pics! dying to see them!
Robert: The sword, second from the bottom. Isn't that one based on a find well after the "Viking Age"?
@ A. Heidalen Skog

If you're referring to the one with the rather elongated curved crossguard, it, to me, looks a lot like the Cawood Sword, which as I believe is from the late Viking age.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cawood_sword
Cawood
Hi, thanks for your comments.

Look at this link.

http://www.historyofyork.org.uk/themes/viking/the-cawood-sword

It doesn't show well in the photos, but this replica also has slight guard asymetry

Best Regards
Robert
Let's see your Viking swords
Although I don't have Viking swords I must say that David's Ulfberht sword looks great. Got to love it! ;)
This one by Angus Trim I call my Techno-Viking

[ Linked Image ]
Great thread, love all. Keep em coming guys! :)
Most of mine. Sorry for the few viking fantasy swords in the mix. ;)

Wow that langseax is massive! :)
William M wrote:
Wow that langseax is massive! :)

It is pretty large. Michael Pikula made it,
My Albion Gotland

Attachment: 79.72 KB
Gotlandm6s.jpg

Attachment: 100.44 KB
Gotlandm4s3x.jpg

My newest

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

Patternwelded inlay in the blade and copper and silver inlay on the hilt. Covered bridge, wool lined scabbard.
My Personal Defense Weapon for Ragnarok...Fjall Skerandi

Early in this thread I posted an Albion Europe photo of my Valkyrja. Since it's better to put up your own photos, here are a couple that I took.

Attachment: 92.71 KB
valkm1s.jpg

Attachment: 99.67 KB
valkm2s.jpg

Roger, those are beautiful pictures. I think they're much more flattering than the ad pictures used by Albion (the sword looks machined and lifeless in those)
Robin -

I love your viking sword. Really beautiful. How is he grip done? Is it thin cord wrapped? I bit different treatment than what we are used to seeing and I think it works great with the overall sword.
Bryan Heff wrote:
Robin -

I love your viking sword. Really beautiful. How is he grip done? Is it thin cord wrapped? I bit different treatment than what we are used to seeing and I think it works great with the overall sword.

IIRC, Albions swords are leather glued over a wooden core, and then thin cord is wrapped tightly around the grip until the glue cures. When the cord is removed, the indentations left by the cord is permanent, leaving a very attractive and grippy surface. Its the same on my Albion NG Squire.
Einar Drønnesund wrote:
Bryan Heff wrote:
Robin -

IIRC, Albions swords are leather glued over a wooden core, and then thin cord is wrapped tightly around the grip until the glue cures. When the cord is removed, the indentations left by the cord is permanent, leaving a very attractive and grippy surface. Its the same on my Albion NG Squire.

No, Bryan is right... In this case it is a long leather cord wrapped around the grip as the actual grip surface itself.
Robin Smith wrote:
Einar Drønnesund wrote:
Bryan Heff wrote:
Robin -

No, Bryan is right... In this case it is a long leather cord wrapped around the grip as the actual grip surface itself.

My bad, I misread and thought he was was asking about the sword in Roger Hoopers post. :) Thanks for clearing it up.
viking swords
Here are a few from my collection
Swords from Jody Samson , Rob Miller , Petr Florianek

Attachment: 151.51 KB
samson2_313.jpeg

Attachment: 69.8 KB
file-2.jpeg

Attachment: 91.61 KB
file.jpeg

Attachment: 112.26 KB
45173_525281384176986_1196214459_n.jpeg

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next