Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Matthew Amt wrote:
Stephen Curtin wrote:
@ Matthew Amt.

Very nice xiphoi, would you mind telling us where you got them from.

Thanks! I ground both of those down from cheap old fantasy swords (a matched set of "Excalibur" and "Prince Valiant" from c. 30 years ago). The long one is due for a new hilt, since that one is based on the Italian types in Peter Connolly's books, and I have found that Greek ones are generally not like that. And both blades are still a tad porky, so I'll take a little more metal off them.

http://www.larp.com/hoplite/greekweapons.html

Matthew

Thanks Matthew. I suspected that you hilted them yourself, again very nice.

from glagolitic to latinic letters: it spells BIESOMUK which is an archaic Croatian word with meaning akin to berserk rage

My Hanwei Cawood's name is Longtooth, I thought it fitting, :D ...........McM
Also, my Hanwei side sword is called Guinivere.......my two-handed claymore ---Hellrazor. Reason being, you ask? The sidesword is so beautiful and refined, it could only be named after King Arthurs love. The claymore--Hellrazor----'nuff said. :cool: ............McM
If I ever get a Gladius, it will be called "Amiculus"
Then I could, in proper latin tell my enemies: "Say hello to my little friend" :D
(Should be something like "Salve ad Amiculi"?)
Skullbiter? I'm sure that name has been used.

Steelkiss?

Steelscream?

Melisandre?

Maggotmaker - shortened to Maggie.
I am glad to see there were some silly responses earlier, because the first thing that popped into my head was "Shit Storm". My apologies for the foul language. :)
You could use an old classic like "head taker" or "leg biter" or "widow maker".
"Answer" is my first response. Actually Steve was my first response but someone beat me to it. 😃

I don't name my tools, cars, motorcycles, or swords. OK, I have a grey Ninja 650 that has an under engine exhaust pioneered by Eric Buell and in my had I think of it as "The Silver Buellette" but it's not something I would have engraved into the tank or anything.

If I had ever actually used one of my swords to defend my life, then I could see a bond requiring a name forming. But in modern context it's like naming a lacrosse stick.

Perhaps this just means I need to get out and drill more...?
Here are a few of mine:

Ceiling Biter
Jerry (I actually didn't name this sword, someone else did)
SkullSplitter
Makeinen (Finnish for "Sweet")
Loisgeanta (Gaelic for "Inflammable" or "Fire Resistant")
Iain Ruadh ("Red John")
Beann Sidhe Dubh ("Black Banshee")
Pac-Man
The Mermaid's Song
Old MacDonald
Haggis Cleaver

Some are for fun, some are serious....
I've got a sword that's deserved the name 'ceiling biter' before, and the name 'antique-bed-chunk-taker.' The guy just seems destined to clip into things in my living space when swung...
My Agincourt is named "Ardea." Latin for soaring or heron. It always felt like this thin, graceful creature which could, in a flash, spear its target.

Its either that or "Destroyer of Produce and Milk Jugs," but the Latin isn't as pretty.
If I ever owe a biden-hander, I will dub it as "Kingslayer"
Cruachfada - Irish Gaelic for Longsteel
Pógéag - Irish Gaelic for Death Kiss
Slán Leat - Irish Gaelic for Goodbye (as I am the person remaining and my opponent is leaving this world)
Elcrist - Quenya Elvish for Starsword
Don't use Tyrfing, it apparnatly kills all who owns it within time..and Steadfast (the English eqivilent of the original name in Anglish I think?) well that's a scamasax.

I knew a guy who's sword was 'Silver Tongue', as he put it "You've just been licked by the Silver Tongue."

And as being an interior Plasterer (Gib Stopper, is the usual term here in NZ) I named my Trowel 'Kim' as in 'Kim C'trowel'...which also can double as a small buckler with a (sometimes) razor edge!.
My two-hander is "Heinrich"--I remember singing a hymn in German as I unpacked it! My two-handed Claymore is "Bloody Mary". Both are Del Tins. I had a Windlass katzbalger to go with Heinrich, which I named Ludwig, but he got rebuilt into rather generic 11th century sword for doing reenactment fighting. It got a lot more use that way!

I don't think I've named any of my other swords. But I tend to think of my first Greek shield as "OhgeezmybackIhatethisthing!"

Matthew
If you want something hilarious to howl when you draw it, you can name it "LeRoy Jenkins"

That said, I named my type XX warsword Spòg. Seemed appropriate.
I have some ideas for what to call my montante, but until it's finished and I can actually hold it, no name will really "click" as being right.

Names are personal, hold your sword, use your sword, and find something appropriate that fits the weapon when wielded by you. If the sword gets passed down, the name will be reminder of both the sword and it's amazingly awesome wielder, which is what makes history fun.

As a historical example of what people called their weapons, There's a montante in the Palacio Real in Madrid that has an inscription that reads "Lupus Aguado." Which means something like "Starving/Famished Wolf". Can also mean "Slippery Wolf". Either is awesome.
I would name my sword "Disarmer", as in "I dis-armed him" (cut off arm).
I still think that 'VORPAL BLADE' is coolest sword name ever.
I had names like Gracewand (Grace wand) and Grimnar (actually a name of Odin when he walks the earth).

Then my collection grew, and now I kind of stopped. I like the idea of naming a sword. I also think that naming a sword is probably fairly common. how many people name their rifles?

The Norse named more often than others it seemed or at least the names were recorded more often.
here is a list from the "Viking answer Lady" page. I do like Kindness as mentioned above. I
I have cupshotted a few more people than I should have, one of my swords will be called "Emasculator"

Bastarðr ('bastard')

Brynjubítr ('byrnie-biter') (Sturlunga Saga I, p. 450)

Dragvandill (etym. unc.)

Fetbreiðr ('foot-broad'; 'foot' as in unit of measure)

Fjôrsváfi (acc.) (Life-taker?)

Fótbítr ('foot-biter, leg-biter')

Gamlanautr (Gamli's 'gift')

Grásíða (Grey-side)

Grettisnautr (Grettir's 'gift')

Gunnlogi (War-flame, Battle-blaze)

Hneitir (exact sense uncertain, but something like 'Thruster, Cutter')

Hvítingr (White-One)

Jarðhússnautr ('Gift' of an Underground Room/Passage; it was taken from one)

Jôkulsnautr (Jôkull's 'gift')

Kársnautr (Kárr's 'gift')

Kettlingr ('kitten') (Sturlunga Saga I, p. 452)

Kvernbítr (Quern-biter)

Lang (Long)

Laufi (apparently from 'leaf')

Leggbítr (Leg-biter)

Naðr (Adder)

Níðingr ('villain, truce-breaker') (Sturlunga Saga I, p. 453)

Skrýmir (etym. unc., but perhaps Large-One; also the name of a giant)

Skôfnungr (Shin-bone)

Sniðill (Pruning-knife)

Sætarspillir ('truce-spiller, peace-breaker') (Sturlunga Saga I, p. 453)

Tumanautr (Tumi's 'gift')

Tyrfingr (from 'a resinous fir-tree'; the sword is magical and is said to be sheathed in flame)

Ættartangi (apparently Family-tang, as in 'tang of a sword')

Ølvisnautr (Ølvir's 'gift')
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Page 2 of 5

Jump to: