Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Whats a great name for a sword?
Hello,

Im on the hunt for great names for blades, They can be Historical, fantasy, unique or just cool. anyone have a few to share?

Feel free to post Pictures and names of your blades!

Every good sword deserves a name! (GOT)

Attachment: 114.15 KB
Vasa.jpg
My Tinker - Vasa...the Lion
Hard to beat Gurthang - "Iron of Death".
'Mack the Knife' has a certain popular culture / music familiarity that some may find appealing.

Taken from 'Die Moritat von Mackie Messer'.

Jon
"White Fang" springs to mind for the one you show there!

I can't help thinking of my Greek swords as Glamdring and Sting...

[ Linked Image ]

Matthew
I named my training sword "Bitch slap".
So everytime i hit my training buddy i could say "you've just been bitch slapped"

We had some good laughs with it.
Best name is definitely "Kindness".

Then you can kill you foes with kindness!!!
I always like Caliburn which I believe is an earlier form of Excalibur.
"Steven"
Nathan Robinson wrote:
"Steven"

"Garnet".
I named my sword "Bryan Adams" 'cause it cuts like a knife, but it feels so right.
(With Apologies.)
" Lorena "...as in Bobbitt.
Lol I wish this had a face book style thing. id like some of your comments.

I may have been hoping for something more grandiose then "Steven" and Less cache then Caliburn (although a great name)

Come on boys!!! there are names out there that will fit. I just need the help. my mind is blank.

Attachment: 205.62 KB
Viking Tinker named Macurich [ Download ]
@ Matthew Amt.

Very nice xiphoi, would you mind telling us where you got them from.
Mörderin (murderess)
names
The problem with your question is that our most immediate reaction is humour : Bob the sword, Stealy Dan, xxxcalibur, saturday night special, enforcer, righteous kill, honey I'm home, and anything else you can think of. BUT, I have named a sword in the past, and admit that I took the whole thing seriously. So, with that in mind, I would suggest that you examine what purpose you have in naming the thing , and then adapt that to the style of sword you are thinking of. Think of Aria Stark and Needle in Game of Thrones. It is a short estoc style, where you '' hit with the pointy end'', very appropriate. Good luck with yourproject.
By the way, I had my sword and dagger made by Cervenka, who does etching, and named the pair Tooth & Claw,but in welsh, to honour my mother's side, and also because welsh is as Lord of The Rings as you are going to get without going full Tolkien elvish. Two birds with one stone. Just hope I never get the urge to sell them, nobody else might get the same enjoyment out of my choice of names.
I remember seeing a sword name I liked in some piece of fantasy literature I read in the past, but I can't remember what literature it was. I think it might have been a short story.......not sure.

Anyway, the name was "Steelstorm."
Stephen Curtin wrote:
@ Matthew Amt.

Very nice xiphoi, would you mind telling us where you got them from.

Thanks! I ground both of those down from cheap old fantasy swords (a matched set of "Excalibur" and "Prince Valiant" from c. 30 years ago). The long one is due for a new hilt, since that one is based on the Italian types in Peter Connolly's books, and I have found that Greek ones are generally not like that. And both blades are still a tad porky, so I'll take a little more metal off them.

http://www.larp.com/hoplite/greekweapons.html

Matthew
To give you another example of a more serious name, one of the swords allegedly carried by Rodrigo Diaz, a.k.a. "El Cid" is named "Tizona". You can see the alleged sword here, although research indicated that the blade (which is clearly the oldest part of the sword) was probably made in the 14th century, and not the 11th: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tizona
Re: Whats a great name for a sword?
Lance Morris wrote:
Hello,

Im on the hunt for great names for blades, They can be Historical, fantasy, unique or just cool. anyone have a few to share?

Feel free to post Pictures and names of your blades!

Every good sword deserves a name! (GOT)

Never name a tool.. even a anachronistic tool of death, the level of emotional attachment that comes with naming something can cloud good pragmatic judgement. No matter how good the weapon or tool it is nothing without mighty hand and a steely mind behind it.
Here's a link to a list of historical and/or legendary swords (most of them from the norse saga's). It's in norwegian unfortunately, but apart from the names of the swords and their owners, there aren't many words anyway.

http://no.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liste_over_ber%C3%B8mte_sverd

Personally I always liked the name of St. George's sword, Ascalon.

PS: A note on the sword "Tyrfing" in the list above. No it's not a Tolkien invention, he merely named one of his dwarves by the norse person who forged "Tyrfing", who also was a dwarf...
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Page 1 of 5

Jump to: