Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > swordsmanship training in NYC Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next 
A. Gaber

PostPosted: Sat 08 Feb, 2014 2:13 am    Post subject: swordsmanship training in NYC         Reply with quote

i am currently training by my self in Brooklyn apt working on my wrist grip strengthening,simple footwork and accuracy work.the thing is, i don't see much online for sword training,beside the Japanese style which i am not interested in(just a matter of preference)
i see a lot of the European medieval long sword manuals from HEMA website.i do read as much as i can from the website i love all the subject listed there.while i am more interested of some middle eastern swordsmanship(Turkish,Persian or IF ANY mamluke style as i from Egypt originally)i believe there is a lot of people out their share the same interests as me in these fighting styles(or not?)
so my question is in two parts
first,is there any online vedio or source that i could do solo training for now?i am not looking for just a simple swing it around kind of advise.i would like to learn the foot work and the accuracy(how do you train that).strength and speed is my least worry for now.that bring me to the second part
is there any school in nyc or close by that teaches these style or any of the mentioned styles above?i would like to hear new yorker's advice of what they do to train?of course all advise is welcome from newyorker or others.i be happy to hear what anybody has to say about the subject regardless of their fighting style, preference and location. thankx for reading and help.best regard A.Gaber

Knowledge is a treasure, but practice is the key to it.

Fear not the man who fears God.
Michael Beeching

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Sat 08 Feb, 2014 2:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I am very much a novice myself - once I have the time, I plan on becoming a member of ARMA. You can see their website here:

http://www.thearma.org/

If you paruse through the site, you'l see that there is an ARMA group in New Jersey:

http://www.thearma.org/Practice/partners.htm

You may also consider the Hema Alliance's club finder:

http://hemaalliance.com/?page_id=686

Fortunately, you're in quite a populated area. It seems finding a club should not be much of a terrible problem, and from what I've seen, you've quite a selection to choose from. Needless to say your options are much better than mine, being in rural Northwestern Indiana. Granted, I much prefer living here than where you might be, but your opportunities to learn are my envy in this instance. Happy

As per simple things to try, consider a swinging target. If your space is limited, an inexpensive short sword may be quite a good companion for such a target, which you could simply make out of a piece of wood, and hang it from something with a bungee cord. It really amounts to a punching bag for your weapon, and had the same utility: to built confidence in the strike and to give you a target to maneuver around and engage where necessary. Because it moves when hit, it is decent for working on your accuracy, though it will have its limits. Footwork is still a concern for me in this regard, so therefore I try not to remain static when attacking the target. The latest game I've been playing with it has been moving between each strike while not moving into a position which compromises my balance.

...Even if it's not formal, keep in mind that anything which sharpens your dexterity is something to consider. Even if you cannot teach yourself to move well, you will at least have taught yourself to move. And this is certainly a step above someone who has never tried to move at all.
Mathieu Glachant

PostPosted: Sat 08 Feb, 2014 2:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

New Jersey is pretty far from Brooklyn, but if you want to make the trek out to train with us, we'd happy to have you at the New Jersey Historical Fencing Association:

https://www.facebook.com/NJHFA or http://www.nj-hfa.org/

Closer to where you are you may have luck with the people at the New York Historical Fencing Association:

http://newyorklongsword.com/ or http://nyhfa.blogspot.com/ or http://swordclassnyc.com/longsword/
A. Gaber

PostPosted: Sat 08 Feb, 2014 4:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michael Beeching thank you for answering.you being in Northwestern Indiana you could just go to back yard or one of the empty lots and rig out a training field.hanging target from tress.,tree trunks as a targets and mostly the thing that really workis Pell Work.the only thing is the COLD.you could keep that lol.
i like your idea about hanging a wood from the ceiling .better than nothing ha..ya.i have thearma website bookmarked 3 months ago.everyday i read as much as i can to gain more info about the art.Jersey is kinda out there esp southern jersey.way out there.but sure i will keep it in my mind.i have a kungfu experience esp WuShu so footwork is not that rough for me.sword is only extension to the arm.

Mathieu Glachant:jersey..is kinda far, but most honored by your invitation to join your club to train.very glad to see people want to help and welcoming like your self.i will check out the fencing schools in ny. the links you sent me.i hope it is not the slandered fencing schools.i will bummed.

hey it says MOVED next to my message...to where?why is moved?

Mike Ruhala

PostPosted: Sun 09 Feb, 2014 12:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've trained with NYHFA and the Martinez Academy, both have a lot to offer.
A. Gaber

PostPosted: Sun 09 Feb, 2014 4:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

hi mike,the type of man i am looking for.if you kindly tell me what is the difference between two schools?i the matter of fighting styles,way of teaching and which one do you prefer and why?
also how much should i expect to spend to join any of these clubs to train?i thought Martinez's was for standard fencing the competition type?no?shed some light for me here.best regard A.GAber

Bacchus Davis

PostPosted: Mon 10 Feb, 2014 2:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mr. Gaber,

Your original question was about learning a form of fencing that originates in "some middle eastern swordsmanship(Turkish,Persian or IF ANY mamluke style as i from Egypt originally)".

You might try contacting Dr. Manouchehr Moshtagh Khorasani (http://www.moshtaghkhorasani.com/). He has written several books on Persian martial skills and equipment (http://www.freelanceacademypress.com/search.a...-khorasani).
He might know someone in the New York Metro area that teaches specifically the style you are wanting to learn.

You might also try contacting Nidar Singh (http://nidarsingh.com/). He teaches Sikh martial arts (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-15480741, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oG6WdFwc5WM) in the UK. He might know someone who teaches in the New York Metro area in the style you are looking for.

If you would like to know about Mike Edelson of NYHFA (http://www.newyorklongsword.com/) or Ramon Martinez of MAA (http://www.martinez-destreza.com/), you could contact them yourself. Both are personable and are the best source for answers to your questions about their teaching style and cost of attendance. This way you can follow your own judgement.
A. Gaber

PostPosted: Mon 10 Feb, 2014 2:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mr.Davis,

i am quite familiar with Dr. Manouchehr Moshtagh Khorasani work and books.i love his last book i didnt buy yet.quiet expensive.there is a lot of info you have provided here.thankx so much for your help.indian arts of Mr.Singh is far different from my expectation but i will ask him as well. about to give up the whole middle eastern fight style thing too hard to find schools and equipment for it.i am thinking to go for long sword style just for the convience..i dunno i wish i know somebody that train in these art and i guess i have to take trip to them or watch the class and ask.
i believe training in one style(European style)could be used with middle eastern sabers,kilic or shamshirs.Any Advise?
sorry i am just getting my first step on the road and i am confused by what i Want and i could get interms of schools available.offf

Mike Capanelli

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Mon 10 Feb, 2014 4:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My club is out on the Island, but still close in Plainview. We meet every tuesday@9 at Island Fencing. Check out our Facebook and Our website . We're a HEMA Alliance member club.

Mike Edelson is great, but he's upstate in Andes NY so he's a little far for regular practices. You could also go to his student Tristan. He's teaching at sword class NYC . [/url]

Winter is coming
Edward Lee

PostPosted: Mon 10 Feb, 2014 4:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A. Gaber wrote:
hi mike,the type of man i am looking for.if you kindly tell me what is the difference between two schools?i the matter of fighting styles,way of teaching and which one do you prefer and why?
also how much should i expect to spend to join any of these clubs to train?i thought Martinez's was for standard fencing the competition type?no?shed some light for me here.best regard A.GAber

I've been to Martinez place a couple times. Maestro Martinez teaches mostly classical fencing. He said he also can teach longsword of German school which were taught to him by his master. When I asked about longsword and other type of weapons he recommended me to learn saber first. I haven't been there in a very long time because lower east side is pretty far from Forest Hills.
A. Gaber

PostPosted: Mon 10 Feb, 2014 9:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mr.Capanelli i didn't even know that there is schools in LI.the one in Manhattan sounds the closest to bushwick.i will call them tomorrow. you right upstate is kinda far i think to practice.i just notice at some point i have to buy a steel trainer sword and i will need to take it on the subway.MAN that is what i really mean more spot light on me.middle eastern looking man with a suspicious long object in his hand.i don't know if even i am allowed to have such a thing on me on the subway.

Mr.Lee.thank you for responding back.When I asked about longsword and other type of weapons he recommended me to learn saber first.
any reason why did he recommend the saber?it is one handed sword after all and single blade.i would think you would parry with it differently than the longsword. wouldn't you?

i am really Grateful to the all the community here trying to help me out.i hope more people chime in so maybe others in NY could find options and ideas to where to train.

Edward Lee

PostPosted: Tue 11 Feb, 2014 7:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mr.Gaber, he told me that the cuts are mostly the same, although stance differs saber is a good start. I'm pretty sure he teaches longsword in private lessons, so he would recommend starting with saber because that's his regular class. And also there is another Maestro Martinez, I think that was his wife, she was the one that showed me Italian saber. And just so you know that his class are Monday, Wednesday and Friday from 7pm to 9pm.

My friend went to this place called NY longsword, it's also in Manhattan.

I'm not in any school right now, I just pick up stuff I read from the manuals for single handed sword. I notice the stances and cuts are pretty much the same as longsword. Except it's with one hand.
A. Gaber

PostPosted: Tue 11 Feb, 2014 3:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mr.Lee i Agree with you completly.saber one handed or two handed sword is about the same only the lenght. any way, would you kindly share what kinda of sword you use for training?also what manual you are using?
these kinda classes is expensive and for now probably i will train by my self and see if i could free time from my time table(family you know?).well if you ok with it and dont mind we could spar sometime when the weather gets better.not far from foresthills.any how too early for that.thank x a million.

Edward Lee

PostPosted: Tue 11 Feb, 2014 5:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I don't have a sparring weapon, I do it alone with one of the del tin sword, it's pretty heavy. I used to have this dvd that talks about messer and single handed sword. It shows you stuff from basic to some techniques. Like this one http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=...ck%FCchner
The classes costs around $90 dollars for three.

To be honest, It's hard for me to go to one of these classes. It's a lot easier to pay someone for a class but I don't have the time. One thing you could do is attend one of those classes several times, learn the basics and practice form there. Stuff like the foot works, basic cuts, get the muscle to memorize these things. At least that's how I learned modern fencing back in high school.
Mike Ruhala

PostPosted: Wed 12 Feb, 2014 1:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A. Gaber wrote:
hi mike,the type of man i am looking for.if you kindly tell me what is the difference between two schools?

What I like about NYHFA and the Martinez Academy is that they are both solidly grounded in traditional forms of swordsmanship. When you train at places like these you aren't just getting somebody's "best guess" reconstruction you're getting the benefit of centuries of martial arts lore and experience. The difference between the two schools is that NYHFA association draws from Japanese tradition and the MA draws from European tradition, they are different but there is considerable overlap.

Quote:

i the matter of fighting styles,way of teaching and which one do you prefer and why?

The training style at the Martinez Academy is on the softer and more academic side, NYHFA plays rough. :-) I can't say I prefer one approach to the other because both aspects are equally important. NYHFA is the better place to go if you want skills you can use *now* whereas the MA is well suited to someone who's going to be studying for at least several years.

Quote:

also how much should i expect to spend to join any of these clubs to train?

Tuition at the MA is going to be much more expensive than at NYHFA, how much it costs really depends on how often you'll be training and how much gear you buy.

Quote:

i thought Martinez's was for standard fencing the competition type?no?shed some light for me here.best regard A.GAber

No, the Martinez Academy doesn't teach standard electric competition fencing. Don't let the training weapons fool you, they teach a real martial art and skills that you won't find in a modern sport fencing salle. What you'll learn there is applicable to any of the historical weapons and any kind of fighting but if you want to use those skills in rough fighting you're going to have to do some extra training on your own time.

I've trained and fought with Tristan Zukowski, I'll vouch for him as being another good guy to study with.
A. Gaber

PostPosted: Thu 13 Feb, 2014 2:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mike what a wealth of information!
you have sheded so much light on the subject and helped me clear things out for me.
when i seen Martinez Academy first thing came to mind is standard fencing.never thought they would be historically accurate and far from what you called electric competition fencing.
NYHFA is more rough play?i think that is more like sword play cause fights or being a person that trainned in martial arts i know learning from hitting with the intention to hurt is quite different than say rehearsed moves.rehearsed moves is good in the begining but you gonna have to upgrade to real speed,power and precision,reflexes, quickly to hone your muscle mind connection.

i will go to NYHFA to train for couple of classes and see.hands on is the best way to learn for me.
Thanks for answering back to you all.keep the suggestion coming i am learning more with every post.IT IS A REAL PLEASURE TO MEET YOU ALL.best regard.A.Gaber

Benjamin Floyd II

PostPosted: Fri 14 Feb, 2014 1:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Just as a side note, the instructor from NY Longsword used to train at NYHFA on a regular basis. They still have close ties.
Krieg School of Historical Swordsmanship
A HEMA Alliance Affliate
A. Gaber

PostPosted: Fri 14 Feb, 2014 2:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

the NYHFA classes is held at NY Longsword(NYC sword class).that is what it says on the website

Benjamin Floyd II

PostPosted: Fri 14 Feb, 2014 9:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yeah, Tristan Zukowski runs that chapter. I meant to say 'Sword Class NYC'. That's taught by Tristan Z. instead of Mike E. Still part of the same group of guys. Happy

I've met them both. Good guys. I've only fought with Mike E. before though.

Krieg School of Historical Swordsmanship
A HEMA Alliance Affliate
A. Gaber

PostPosted: Sat 15 Feb, 2014 6:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

i just wish if it were cheaper.the best option is the four classes for 100, i think.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > swordsmanship training in NYC
Page 1 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: