Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Sword from Wulflund Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Foong Chen Hong

PostPosted: Sun 19 Jan, 2014 3:18 pm    Post subject: Sword from Wulflund         Reply with quote

Anyone ever own one of their sword? They look good but I haven't seen anyone here talks about their sword before.

http://www.wulflund.com/

Descanse En Paz
Evan Wilson

PostPosted: Sun 19 Jan, 2014 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Wulflund         Reply with quote

Are you looking to use a Wulflund as a blunt trainer, or as a sharp. Two people in my Stage Combat group use them, and I have one as well. I've been using it for 4 months now and it is holding up pretty well, but I don't know about their sharpened swords.
Semper Vigilantis et Fidelis
Foong Chen Hong

PostPosted: Sun 19 Jan, 2014 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Wulflund         Reply with quote

Evan Wilson wrote:
Are you looking to use a Wulflund as a blunt trainer, or as a sharp. Two people in my Stage Combat group use them, and I have one as well. I've been using it for 4 months now and it is holding up pretty well, but I don't know about their sharpened swords.

Blunt mostly, getting a sharp is impossible for my country.

Descanse En Paz
Greg Ballantyne

PostPosted: Mon 20 Jan, 2014 9:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Foon
Thanks for bringing up Wulflund. I had not looked at their website for a long time. I am thinking about one of their Saxes, and overall their prices are quite attractive.
Evan
I'm a little curious about the buying experience with Wulflund. Did you buy directly from their website, and how did it go?
Evan Wilson

PostPosted: Mon 20 Jan, 2014 10:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Greg,
Yes I did order from their website. Their processing was quick and painless, the shipping costs weren't though. I bought the renold and it cost about $60 to have it shipped to me here in Texas. Even though their shipping costs are high The sword still arrived within one week well packaged. I would recommend Wulflund to anyone interested in their fencing products. Just be aware that some of their products are not quite finely finished, as in most of their swords have an antiqued look to them.

Joe Pittman

PostPosted: Mon 20 Jan, 2014 2:04 pm    Post subject: Wulflund         Reply with quote

For what it's worth Wulflund has not changed much since I first looked at them and Kovex Ars 4 or 5 yrs ago.I chatted with them and most of their swords are made by Cech smiths. They must have made a name for themselves over there, cause I saw a new release on Netflix "The Horde". Pretty good Mongel movie about 1370 Sarai Berke. As soon as I saw what they were weilding, I thought of the Wulflund Avars saber, and its is possible there were some KovexArs sabers in there too. I like the Polish, Avar and Arabian saber. Their prices have gone up too, so it must be demand is good. $60 shipping and 1 week sounds good. Windlass wanted the MRL cataloge price and $100 shipping for a sword I cant find. Fair I guess as they were willing to 1 off me a discontinued Bilbo. Could not talk them down so I declined. I edit to say if you click on the pics some of them say Cech made and some say Fabri Amorum. A name mention alot lately
Long Life

Last edited by Joe Pittman on Mon 20 Jan, 2014 2:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Greg Ballantyne

PostPosted: Mon 20 Jan, 2014 2:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the input Evan. I did notice on the Wulflund website their products have the look/finish you describe. And while the shipping seems a little stiff, the prices otherwise are attractive. The pommels on the Viking swords appear to be two piece, and if that is any indication of overall quality and workmanship, their products may prove to be at the upper end of those available at that price level. Perhaps I'll soon be finding out.........
Evan Wilson

PostPosted: Mon 20 Jan, 2014 6:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Another interesting point is that their guards are brazed in plasm as opposed to fabri swords which are just press fitted. The pommel on mine was placed a little off center and turned slightly, but I think it added character to my sword. Also this is how real medieval swords would have looked like: a little worn with some slight mistakes. The blade on mine is decently flexible and the cross needed some file work because the corners were really pointy, but all in all I'm very satisfied with mine.
Greg Ballantyne

PostPosted: Mon 03 Feb, 2014 5:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, I took the plunge and ordered their antler handled sax, sharp with scabbard. Should be ready to ship in a couple of weeks. Shipping about the same Evan, $63 was quoted I believe. They are not asking for payment until the sax is made and ready to ship. I liked that part.
Foong Chen Hong

PostPosted: Mon 03 Feb, 2014 6:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Greg Ballantyne wrote:
Well, I took the plunge and ordered their antler handled sax, sharp with scabbard. Should be ready to ship in a couple of weeks. Shipping about the same Evan, $63 was quoted I believe. They are not asking for payment until the sax is made and ready to ship. I liked that part.

I would like you to do a small review either here or made a new thread, so we can see how's their blade work.

Descanse En Paz
G. Freeman

PostPosted: Fri 07 Feb, 2014 2:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hej I have couple of fact about Wulflund shop and other historical shops in Czechia that can be of interest

Wulflund:

- it is the very same shop as Drakkaria.com and Drakkaria.cz and as Hercinia.cz
- Wulflund / Drakkaria buys from mostly czechia makers and sells in wide scale
- Wulflund / Drakkaria has also their own production (jewelry and weapons) see: http://www.wulflund.com/treasure-of-wulflund/

for comparative reasons here are some links to some other Czechia historical arms, armour or other goods makers (those I can remind):
- some sites may not have the EN translation, for your better understanding: price = cena, pricelist = ceník, sword = meč, armour = brnění or zbroj, helmet = přilba or helma, catalogue = katalog

www.lh-shop.cz
- more historically accurate than Wulflund / Drakkaria
- unlike Wulflund / Drakkaria these guys make most of ther production themselves

www.kovexars.cz
- I do not know the smiths personally or by name
- historical arms and armour
- one of many Wulflund / Drakkaria supplier (or used to be...)

www.fabri-armorum.com
- smith Jiri Krondak and his fellows
- historical arms and armour
- one of many Wulflund / Drakkaria supplier

www.na-kupecke-stezce.ic.cz
- various makers similar to Wulflund / Drakkaria
- for comparative reasons

www.ravelin-shop.eu
- various makers like Wulflund / Drakkaria

www.hurdalek.webnode.cz
- smith Vaclav Hurdalek
- good quality weapons, easy prices

www.mece-had.cz/cz/galerie.htm
- smith Stanislav Elias
- good sword blades
- low prices

www.zbroje.cz
- smith Mojmir Vrtal
- good enough armour and helmets

www.jaknapazourek.cz
- maker Petr Zítka
- great weapons of flint-stone, paleolithic and eneolithic culture
- workshops

www.leier.cz
- smith Pavel Leier
- good and cheap arms and swords

www.brennus.cz
good historical knives and saxes, easy prices, not so good pics (by now the products look much better), one of many Wulflund / Drakkaria supplier

www.sword-elgur.cz
- smith Mr. Motyčka and his fellows
- good blades and swords, for real sword fight

www.nielo-sword.com
- smith Michal Spilka
- good arms, swords and prices

www.boty-alanky.cz
- maker Alan Kvasnicka
- good quality historical and custom shoes

www.tafl.cz/
- historical Ancient, Dark and Middle-age table games

www.jinoucestou.cz/vlnaShop.php
- maker Hana Malikovicova
- all felted wool and woolen products
- best stuff made of felted wool (vests, shoes, hats...) in my opinion

www.lukata.cz/luky/anglicky-luk-longbow/
- maker Vaclav Balik
- english bows and longbows
- fair prices

www.krouzkove-zbroje.webnode.cz/produkty/kosile/
- maker Frantisek Abraham
- ring mails (not riveted)
- easy prices

soooo that is all I can get from myself :-)
- all prices should be in czech kronor (1 EUR = cca 25 CZK)
- as far as I know most of Germany, France, Scandinavia, Britain and partly USA buy czech arms and armour (either directly or through someone in the middle)...It is nice to see all those swords we well know in film movies :-)
- in riveted mails it is the production of India that satisfies most of us (the price for indian ringmail is cca 7-10 000,- per piece in CZK - on one in western world can ever match this price)
- in jewelry the better pieces come usually from Poland (their prices in combination with craftmanship is amazing)

Hope this helps :-)

..following my heart, I'm living free..
Edward Lee

PostPosted: Fri 07 Feb, 2014 5:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've seen their stuff on other CZ websites. They all "claim" to be the original maker.
Mark Griffin

Location: The Welsh Marches, in the hills above Newtown, Powys.

PostPosted: Fri 07 Feb, 2014 5:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

that's a jolly useful list! Thanks for posting.

Griff
Andrew Pribor

PostPosted: Sun 09 Feb, 2014 5:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Greetings,

I have been waiting to reply to this post until I had received my new long sword in the mail from Wulflund. I have had it for over a week now but hadn't had a chance to snap a couple pictures until today. As has been stated already in this thread, Wulflund carries swords and products made by different craftsmen/smiths.

In 2012 I was in the market for a blunt Viking age sparring sword. After a lot of research I took my chances & ordered what I considered to be the best looking sword for the money from Wulflund. Out of all the different swords available on the site, this particular maker/smiths work stood out. The weapons appeared to be well made with a nice clean finish. Since the sword I ordered was not in stock, it had to be made for me. I believe I waited 7 or 8 weeks before delivery and was extremely satisfied with the sword when I received it. The fit, finish, balance and quality of the steel used are excellent. I especially like the proper 2 part pommel riveted together. After using the sword to spar against Hanwei Tinker Viking blades, I was surprised to find that my sword received very little if any nicks or edge damage whereas the HT blades got chewed up. I was sold!

This past December I ordered another sword from Wulflund by the same smith. I wanted a longsword durable enough to hold up to fully armoured combat. I have had an I-Beam trainer fail on me already and wanted a sword that was peened and more durable. Once again, I am very happy with the over all quality of this particular sword, especially the hilt fittings. At this price point you can usually expect some sloppy lines, asymmetry etc. Not here! The cross guard and pommel have very clean symmetrical lines with an unblemished mat finish. The blade is of the same quality as the Viking sword, though I have yet had a chance to put it through the paces. For just under $300 shipped to California, I have not seen a better product. Even many of the higher priced blunt/trainer swords I have seen by other makers do not compare.

The customer service from Wulflund is excellent. I can not speak for all of their offerings but the weapons made by this particular maker are great. I would highly recommend them. Here are some pictures:

Swords labeled as the "Serlon" lowgsword & "Geibig Type V" Viking sword on the Wulflund site

Hilt detail

The longsword in hand. Note: I have standard size large hands

"The Bow brings grief and sorrow to the foeman; armed with Bow may we sudue all regions."
Peter Anderson

PostPosted: Sun 09 Feb, 2014 9:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

^ That Geibig Type V is very tempting. Thanks for the quick review. If you don't mind my asking, how is the handle length compared to your hand?

A friend of mine showed me Wulflund a while back while looking for some Celtic stuff for his own pursuits, but I took too long to follow up myself and forgot about the site until now. Nice to have my memory jogged here.
Foong Chen Hong

PostPosted: Mon 10 Feb, 2014 2:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wow that does look really amazing, but how do you tell which maker made which sword?

I am interested in this sword, but can you tell it is the same maker of your swords?

http://www.wulflund.com/weapons/swords/mediev...plica.html

Descanse En Paz
G. Freeman

PostPosted: Mon 10 Feb, 2014 5:58 am    Post subject: Wulflund / Drakkaria / Hercinia - their own production         Reply with quote

Hej,

no one (exept for shop-keeper and the real maker) can tell you this. The only swords made by Wulflund / Drakkaria / Hercinia smiths can be found in this link:

http://www.wulflund.com/treasure-of-wulflund/...?vp-page=1

The rest of their production is covered by too many supliers to distinguish among them. I can not even see the makers sign on the sword - so no way to find out more. It can also happen that the sword will be made by someone else - in case the previous maker of the sword is not suplier of the shop any longer...

It is similar to the production of other czechia sword maker (from my list above) - the El-Gur (http://www.sword-elgur.cz/sredoveke-mece-%3Cbr-_%3E%28r_1000-1500%29.html?cat=6)

The choice is yours :-) of course

..following my heart, I'm living free..
Greg Ballantyne

PostPosted: Mon 10 Feb, 2014 5:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Using the Treasure of Wulflund link I see the Sax I ordered is made by Wulflund Armoury
Andrew Pribor

PostPosted: Mon 10 Feb, 2014 7:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

To Peter - The grip length is 4 & 3/8ths inches long. Works fine for my hand though a little longer than historical examples. From what I've seen pretty standard, it seems most makers leave the grip long enough to accommodate the use of protective gauntlets. I do like the shape of the grip. Fits in the hand nicely and allows for different gripping techniques. The grip wrap is nothing special, I will be re-wrapping mine once I tear this one up.

To Foong - The sword you linked to is made by the same maker. His work tends to stand out compared to the others, less "rough" looking, cleaner lines & finish, same grip material & price. All the longswords made by this person are same price with what appears to be the same blade, just different hilt components. Here are what I believe are the different swords offered by the same maker.

Longswords:

Single handed swords:

http://www.wulflund.com/weapons/swords/mediev...ready.html

Viking swords:
http://www.wulflund.com/weapons/swords/viking...sword.html

http://www.wulflund.com/weapons/swords/viking...plica.html

There may be more, but I think I got them all.

"The Bow brings grief and sorrow to the foeman; armed with Bow may we sudue all regions."
Milan Soukup

PostPosted: Sun 23 Feb, 2014 1:31 pm    Post subject: Wulfund         Reply with quote

Hello,
nice to read such words about Wulflund Happy

I just want to tell you that this year we celebrate 10 years of an existence. We started as everybody else - as a shop, re-seller .. we needed to gather money for my life's passion and aim - own swordmaker's workshop of world's quality .. to continue in this old craft which has in Bohemia very long tradition.

But to the next decade we will step as a manufacturer. These 10 years served us to build some background, to make contacts and experiences. Our aim is to produce top quality swords which quality I will guarantee by my name. Our product line will be: "forged swords" in top Czech manufacturer's quality ... I will send our swords for an independent Youtube review.

I am still thinking that this new Wulflund's branch will have a different name, because on Wulflund's eshop you will be able to always buy work of outher swordmakers who asked us to help them with export .. and it can cause some misunderstandings. I will send here a link later of a new webpages just with our swords.

By the way we will every year organize a one week swordmaker's workshop with accomodation and food .. and Czech beer Happy First year I expect in September 2015.

Honestly ... when somebody wants to buy swords from us, I can reccomend this sword or not. Don't hesitate to ask me. It is more important for me that you will buy quality sword than to read here some negative reviews.

Regards
Krak - wulflund.com

Attachment: 73.83 KB
Wulflund Smithy [ Download ]

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Sword from Wulflund
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: