Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > e-book: army of Gabor Bethlen Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Radovan Geist

PostPosted: Fri 31 Jan, 2014 1:31 am    Post subject: e-book: army of Gabor Bethlen         Reply with quote

This might be intriguing for those interested in turbulent history of 16th/17th century Central and Eastern Europe - an e-book about warfare and different types of soldiers in the army of Gabor Bethlen (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gabriel_Bethlen). He is an interesting personae in himself, and his army was a mixture of W and S-E European influences - it must have been a motley crew:)

The book was published by one of Hungarian re-enactment groups, and besides texts (only in Hungarian, unfortunately, an English translation would be wonderful) it has many pictures - it´s really worth seeing. It starts with general introduction and continues with descriptions of different types of soldiers (from "standard" western musketeers and pikemen, to more "exotic" ones). Pictures are mostly photographs of real costumed people and their equipment (I personally like these kinds of publications done by re-enactors).

Some of the "Western" costumes are "less than perfect", but those specific Hungarian ones I really like (I´m attaching a picture from the first page of the book). I dont know the authors personally, but congrats for their work!

Enough of talking, here it goes: http://katonak-bethlen-gabor-korabol.hu/downl...orabol.pdf

Attachment: 38.3 KB
katona-gabor-bethlen.jpg

Shahril Dzulkifli

PostPosted: Thu 06 Feb, 2014 1:06 am    Post subject: e-Book: Army of Gábor Bethlen         Reply with quote

Some trivia:
Gábor Bethlen (1580-1629) was crowned king of Hungary in a short period from 1620 to 1621. In 1626, three years before his death, he took part in the Thirty Years' War.
I think I agree with you, Radovan. It would be wonderful if there's an English translation of Army of Gábor Bethlen. Wink

“You have power over your mind - not outside events. Realize this, and you will find strength”

- Marcus Aurelius

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > e-book: army of Gabor Bethlen
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic