Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search

myArmoury.com is now completely member-supported. Please contribute to our efforts with a donation. Your donations will go towards updating our site, modernizing it, and keeping it viable long-term.
Last 10 Donors: Daniel Sullivan, Anonymous, Chad Arnow, Jonathan Dean, M. Oroszlany, Sam Arwas, Barry C. Hutchins, Dan Kary, Oskar Gessler, Dave Tonge (View All Donors)

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Top 5 Absolute Best Albion Swords Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Hector A.

PostPosted: Wed 29 Jan, 2014 7:54 pm    Post subject: Top 5 Absolute Best Albion Swords         Reply with quote

Pretty Simple thread, what do you think are the top 5 best Albion swords ever produced, and why?

Try to be descriptive: is the particular sword good because it cuts well, stabs well, does both well, was just ahead of its time etc etc...

Also tell us if you actually handled the sword in question, are just guessing or talk because of general knowledge.

Happy thread everybody Happy.
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Wed 29 Jan, 2014 8:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The Brescia Spadona, the Knight, the Regent, the Oakeshott, and the Sempach.

The Brescia is a superbly light and agile sword, probably the best one I've handled for unarmoured fighting. The Knight is a classic 13th century sword that carefully blends cutting capacity, thrusting, with relative handiness for the sword. I have not handled the Regent, but the fishtail pommel is supremely elegant, and most people indicate that it handles beautifully thanks to the hollow grind. Ditto with the Oakeshott; I haven't handled it, but Mr. Oakeshott's tone in Records suggests that the original was one of his favourite swords, and I am sure Albion's replica is no different. I've included the Sempach because it is a thrusting sword par excellence, and the pommel is beautiful to boot.
Jared Smith

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Wed 29 Jan, 2014 8:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have had several, and kept The Knight, The Sempach, and the Munich. The Knight is an obvious classic, and a great all around one hander. The Sempach is actually pretty good at cutting, it's just that its control in thrusting is so noticeable that the thrusting is what gets commented on.

The Munich is always surprising in terms of its quickness, and reach, and just very nimble despite the power from the long grip. I had fiddled and dabbled in ARMA drills with wasters and several other "longswords" prior to trying a Zornhau with the Munich... when I did it was a revelation. Lightning fast helicopter chops from overhead just barely slower than you can snap your fingers.. wow! If limited to "just five" I would get two completely different time period examples such as the Valkyrija (if were not sold out) or Theign as a late Migration/Viking example, and an Auxilia.

Jared

Absence of evidence is not necessarily evidence of absence!
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Thu 30 Jan, 2014 4:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I own the Gaddhjalt and it is the only Albion I ever handled so maybe I'm not really qualified to reply on this thread but I wanted to say that I can hardly imagine a sword with Gaddhjalt's dimensions handling much better, especially for its intended use (mounted combat against opponents in textile and mail armour, either mounted or on foot). So I would definitely include it in the top 5. If I handled the Søborg, it might take that place from Gaddhjalt. Others would probably be Sempach/Landgraf for thrusting and armoured fighting, Viceroy as a good allround battlefield warsword for a battlefield with a mix of both lighter and heavy armoured opponents, Reeve or maybe Vigil for a shieldwall fighting and one of the type XIX singlehanders for an unarmoured singlehanded duelling. I know it's 6th but one doesn't simply leave out the Brescia as a perfect longsword for unarmoured two handed duelling. Happy Although I'm sure Munich or Cluny would function just as well in the same situation. Wink
Kai Lawson

PostPosted: Thu 30 Jan, 2014 7:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Alexandria, Soeborg, Doge, Maximilian, Chevalier. These are all swords that really push the envelope in some way, from extreme length with amazing balance to nimbleness and precision unmatched elsewhere. The question is hard to answer though, because the swords above are 'more surprising' when picked up (with maybe the exception of the doge, I guess you could insert your sword of choice there) but aren't necessarily what I'd pick for a fight. I might go with the Munich, Viceroy, Regent or Castellan over the Doge or Maximilian, and could pick the Lancaster or Kingmaker over the Chevalier. But those swords might not have the same eye-opening material-defying engineering. I wouldn't consider the 'best' (a dubious term) to be my 'favorite,' but there is some overlap.

Anyone with the Ljubljana who wants to chime in, please do so. Really, it all depends on what you want to use it for. I wouldn't take the Ritter to a sword and buckler duel, nor the Cluny, but I'd duel another later longsword with the Cluny just fine. The Vigil will cleave people noticeably better than the Agincourt, but both feel really good in the hand. The Knecht and the Cherusker both feel like handy, fluid cutters, but you wouldn't want to match them up as opponents

"And they crossed swords."
--William Goldman, alias S. Morgenstern
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Thu 30 Jan, 2014 8:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The best person to answer this question would be Peter Johnsson, or someone at Albion - who has direct experience with all of them.

I have a fair few Albions, but some on my list will be ones that I don't have.

Brescia Spadona - on its reputation as the perfect longsword (Sadly, I don't have one)

Vigil - I don't have it, but from what I hear, it fulfills its function perfectly

Castellan - I have this sword. It's an overlooked model, but I think it's beautiful, and it handles like a dream

Oakeshott - I have this one too. It's the perfect Medieval sword

Alexandria - I don't have it, but I hear that its a great design. Albion is the only company with genuine XVIIIc's.
Bjorn Hagstrom

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Thu 30 Jan, 2014 9:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

No-one's mentioned the Svante, yet? I believed that to be a tremendous cutter at least? (Plus I like the design. A lot.)

Interesting to hear the individual reasonings for the selections!

I assume it is classified business information, but it would be very interesting to know what Albions are the all time best sellers? (Popularity by vote so to speak) I assume the Lichtenauer and the other Maestro-line swords would come rahter high up on the list...

But my own top 5, selected on aestethics and my own periods/cultures of interest:

Svante
Munich
Soldat
Dane
Tritonia

There is nothing quite as sad as a one man conga-line...
Ben Coomer

PostPosted: Thu 30 Jan, 2014 12:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Obviously I am first going to put in the ones we actually own.

The Agincourt is my sword, just about the sword I dreamed of when I closed my eyes and dreamed of getting a sword. And it certainly didn't disappoint. Obviously a thruster, it pierces so easily its actually a bit scary since it takes almost no pressure at all. It's also a decent cutter. You have to work the technique to get it to work, but this can be a bit of a blessing. My technique with all other swords has improved because you can't be lazy with a cut from the Agincourt. I've learned a lot about swordsmanship just from this sword as you can definitely sense its purpose pretty quickly. It's also gorgeous...

My wife Constable is a bit different, but very impressive. I finally understood the concept of hand-and-a-half when I held it as with a bit of work, is pretty good one or two handed, if not exactly in the same manner. Sharply pointed like the Agincourt, its much shorter, which keeps it wider for longer and better at cutting. And it sails through cutting objects like nothings there. And if a sword were to have a personality, I'd guess it'd be channeling a wolverine. It wants to play buzzsaw. In many respects, the Constable is a kind of Swiss Army knives or sword, something for any situation, but with a hell of an attitude.

Now, I don't have the rest, so I can't give glowing descriptions. In fact all of these are going to be "wow, those look good" so I can't say much about handling at all, but these are what pops out at me. Fortunately with Albion, it doesn't seem like you can choose a "bad sword."

First, the Yeoman. I really like the Type XIV's and its got a great look to it.

Next, the Crecy. Seems like it'd be a nice counterpart to my Agincourt.

Finally, I'm going to put an odd ball in and say the Liechtenauer. Sure its a trainer, but what a trainer.
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Thu 30 Jan, 2014 2:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Munich
Ringeck
Kingmaker
Yeoman
Earl

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Paul Watson

PostPosted: Thu 30 Jan, 2014 4:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My list based on experience would go something like.

1)Knight
2)Knight
3)Knight
4)Knight
5)Knight

which shows what I think of it.

I have owned 5 Albion's and handled a few more so a more sensible list based on my experience only would be

1)Knight=Oakeshott (owned the Knight and got to know it but I feel given more time with the Oakeshott which I have only handled once or twice briefly, it would have taken 1st place outright, it is quite exceptional in hand so much so it defies my ability to describe it accurately).
2)Regent
3)Knecht
4)Sovereign
5)Machiavelli

Based on experience and comments from others.

1)Soborg
2)Svante
3)Knight=Oakeshott
4)Vigil
5)Alexandria

The Brescia Spadona, Regent, Vassal, Soldat, Reeve and Ritter should be in there somewhere also. How are we meant to limit any best of Albion list to only 5?

I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, but that which it protects. (Faramir, The Two Towers)
Mark Moore

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Thu 30 Jan, 2014 5:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chieftain, Gallowglass, Dane, Baron, and Tyrolean.......Don't own any of them (yet)....But I likes me some big'uns. Big Grin .......McM
''Life is like a box of chocolates...'' --- F. Gump
David Lewis Smith

PostPosted: Thu 30 Jan, 2014 5:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

How about 7?
Yes I know there are 8 swords there but I have a pair of Clontarfs.

I have 14 Albions right now, and my favorites are the viking age stuff but I am not unhappy with any Albion I have owned

David L Smith
MSG (RET)
Kenton Spaulding

Reading list: 12 books

PostPosted: Thu 30 Jan, 2014 5:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My response is sure to be nothing more than shooting from the hip, as I tend to change opinions on this particular subject regularly. Over the past 5-6 years I've owned, or still own a Gaddhjalt, Thegn, Castellan, Laird, Landgraft, and Lancaster. I've had an opportunity to briefly handle most of the Next Gen and Museum line prior to 2008 and I've handled a couple of other models a bit more extensively, but haven't handled any of the newer models with the exception of the Lancaster. With that in mind, today I would vote:

Lancaster-very quick and handy, nice proportions with a big recessed pommel and a wicked point. I often joke about it making a great "home defense sword."
Castellan-a true bastard sword, very nimble in two hands and effect in one, again with a wicked point and understated beauty.
Prince-I remember loving the feel of this sword in hand, and imagine it'd be a nice cutter, plus, it's just plain elegant.
Landgraft-My favorite sword to play with. It just feels good, and I love the blade geometry. If for some wacky reason I needed to fight for my life with a sword this is the one I'd probably grab.
Alexandria-Proportions, proportions, proportions! I've never touched one, but I hope to scrape up the money sometime this year.

Ask me again tomorrow and it'll likely change, but only because there are a lot of great options.
Hector A.

PostPosted: Thu 30 Jan, 2014 7:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I see a lot of people are craving information on the Alexandria, i actually own one, and i will be sure to make a more in-dept review about it soon Happy.(Only thing i haven't done with it so far is cut up a pig; dead one of course; but as soon as i find a decently priced pig for chopping i will) All i can say is it is indeed a beast of a sword, one that will certainly take 1st spot in many's mind as the best Albion sword to date, with such swords as the brescia and knight.

In the meantime i made a mini review about it here on my armory, along with other swords i got from Albion. ( it really is more of a first impressions rather then review)

I would also like to leave it out in the open that i firmly believe, despite not having handled it, that the Principe is inferior to the Alexandria, i will go more in-dept on this subject when i will release a full review on it.

Link to that Alexandria Mini-Review: http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=29460
Paul B.G

PostPosted: Thu 30 Jan, 2014 8:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I’m by no means versed with all the models, I have only owned a Crecy, Knight, Allectus & Principe. From my perspective I rank these as follows;

1. Principe – a powerful do all sword, much more deft than you would expect
2. Allectus – a robust, sharp, quick short sword, big advantage in tight spaces.
3. Crecy – a versatile do all sword but without the power and comfort feel of the Principe.
4. Knight – very nice sword, handles very well but quite neutral, not lively but not flat.

Hector A. wrote:
I would also like to leave it out in the open that i firmly believe, despite not having handled it, that the Principe is inferior to the Alexandria, i will go more in-dept on this subject when i will release a full review on it.
Link to that Alexandria Mini-Review: http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=29460

Happy Interested to read your thoughts re this as someone who has a Principe, though of course I would assert the opposite Wink Though I felt the Alexandria was more visually pleasing I selected the Principe for its grip length aswell as its looks. The grip of the Alexandria is about the same length as the Crecy and having owned a Crecy for some time, for me its grip is just a tad too short, a lot of people seem to prefer the Borderwatch over the crecy for this reason. http://www.christianfletcher.com/Christian_Fl...watch.html

Paul
__

A successful marriage requires falling in love many times, always with the same person

O====[::::::::::::::::::::::::::::>

Tho’ much is taken, much abides; and tho’
We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven; that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

—Alfred Lord Tennyson, Ulysses

Last edited by Paul B.G on Sun 02 Feb, 2014 9:16 pm; edited 2 times in total
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Thu 30 Jan, 2014 11:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'd also be interested in learning how one can judge the worth and comparison of an object without having any experience with it. If there's a formula for that I'd like to know, it would surely simplify things.

Judging "best" is a bit hard and nebulous, given that much has to be based on personal desires and opinions. Still, here are my picks, all of which I have hands-on none speculative experience with.

Vigil: The original in the British Museum has long been my favorite medieval sword, one that I've had replicated twice by custom smiths with limited success. Albions version is the closest one to the real thing, undoubtedly because Peter Johnsson and Eric McHugh are the only two smiths to ever do an actual hands-on examination of the piece. The sword handles like a dream, being both powerful and lively. The design is full of complex detail and geometry, both large and small. The Vigil is simply a sublime sword.

Baron: the epitome of a Type XIIa in modern recreation. The Baron is a classic design well executed. It's also the best cutting sword I've ever used. The design is very forgiving of technique and will make just about anyone look good. I sold mine to finance the Principe, I wouldn't be surprised if I buy another one down the road.

Maximilian: I waited a very long time for this one, longer than any other sword in over thirty years of collecting. I wasn't happy about it, but it paid off in the end. I used to consider A&As German Bastard Sword to be the best two-hander in the production market, having owned two of them. However, the Maximilian takes its place. The piece is aesthetically pleasing and handles like a dream for such a large sword. Truly a magnificent weapon.

Principe: with the introduction of the Principe and Alexandria Albion has raised the bar further still. There are no other swords like these in the production field. Once again, Peter Johnssons comprehension of sword design and Albions commitment to execution gives us something truly notable. An outwardly simple design but one with quite a bit of complexity when examined closely, the Principe is quite a sword. Massive yet lively in the hand. Very broad for the cut, but unexpectedly rigid for the thrust. The Principe is a well balanced jack of all trades kind of design and just might be my favorite of the Albion line up. I suspect many of its attributes will be seen in the Alexandria as well.

Svante: When Albion introduced the Next Generation line the community was collectively turned on its head. Other production companies were immediately placed a step or two behind, and I spoke with many custom makers at the time who seemed to feel threatened by the development. Beforehand that level of quality and complexity was generally thought to be impossible in the production field, being the provence of custom makers alone and half of them couldn't get it right. No where was that leap forward more apparent than in the Svante, one of the first swords in the Museum Line. The Svante exhibits a very high level of complexity in its blade geometry and the sword as a whole is quite impressive, there's really nothing else like it in the production field.

There are many other models that could make the list. Albions roman swords are great, and I almost incuded the Soldat or Knecht in my list, with both being uber cool. The Cluny is one of the most beautiful swords in Albions line. In the end I limited my choices to those swords I feel to be a bit unique and more advanced for their respective types when compared to similar offerings.

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
P. Norton

Reading list: 12 books

PostPosted: Fri 31 Jan, 2014 2:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I will only comment on those I have experience with.

Among the ones I've owned, my top five are:

1. Munich
2. Poitiers
3. Vassal
4. Knight
5. Kingmaker
William Swiger

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Fri 31 Jan, 2014 4:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Tough to just pick 5 from my collection.

The following are my picks for how they feel in hand:

1. Brescia Spadona
2. Earl
3. Arn
4. Reeve
5. Ritter

Of course this list can change frequently.

Non Timebo Mala
Luuk Brink

PostPosted: Fri 31 Jan, 2014 8:45 am    Post subject: Best Albion Swords.         Reply with quote

for me only two :
1 the cluny
2brescia spadona.

Albion's Cluny sword is the most beautiful sword i ever saw on a picture !
those simple gorgeous slim diamondshaped lines of the blade.
his rainjacket out of quality chocolate brown leather with a touch of red in it.
the composition of blackened/grey crossguard&pommel.
the very nice looking hold-fast quality grip wich is breathtaking .
this medieval design could just as easy have been created only in our 21 century.

the Brescia Spadona.... i was afraid of it at first glimpse .
staggering beauty and deadlyness, no more jokes,no more apologies possible.
that's my impression of the Brescia Spadona.
i make my own version of it soon....

Open mind,Spontanious,Respectful.
Jonathan Blair

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Fri 31 Jan, 2014 10:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've owned three Albions:
1. The Crecy. A beautiful sword that handles like a dream. Unfortunately, I sold it several years ago.
2. The Crecy. I missed my old one so much, I bought another one.
3. The Baltimore. I bought a heat treated type XVIII blade from Albion's Bare Blades. Matt Stagmer at Baltimore Knife and Sword polished the blade and made a simple cross, a wheel pommel with peen block, and a wood grip. I then wrapped the grip with some dark brown leather and blued the fittings. I decided to call it the Baltimore (hey, it needed a name).

"Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword." - The Lord Jesus Christ, from The Gospel According to Saint Matthew, chapter x, verse 34, Authorized Version of 1611

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Top 5 Absolute Best Albion Swords
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: