Wooden scabbards with no leather cover
Does anybody know if there are examples of scabbards that do not have a leather covering? I think I read a thread discussing this before but cannot find it now, I don't think it was very common. For this question I am mostly interested in the "viking age" time period through till about 1250.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
There are wooden scabbards which only have a linen cover, the most well known 'Viking' one being the one from Balnakeil in Scotland. That was covered in linen and wrapped with a linen tape.
Well, there are definitely uncovered wooden scabbards from *before* that era, which unfortunately won't help you much. There's a lovely decorated one from one of the Danish bogs, probably Nydam, c. 4th century. And a couple Bronze Age ones from the Danish oak coffin burials as well.

All that Viking stuff is like Star Wars to me, sorry...

Matthew
Matthew Amt wrote:
Well, there are definitely uncovered wooden scabbards from *before* that era, which unfortunately won't help you much. There's a lovely decorated one from one of the Danish bogs, probably Nydam, c. 4th century.

Going by the very small fragments that have survived trapped under chapes and mouthbands, it's thought that the carved bog scabbards were covered in very thin 'skin product', probably untanned.

There's a nice bare wooden one from the Iron Age fort at Stanwick,bound with copper alloy bands.
Matthew Bunker wrote:
There are wooden scabbards which only have a linen cover, the most well known 'Viking' one being the one from Balnakeil in Scotland. That was covered in linen and wrapped with a linen tape.

Thanks for the info. Yes, I have seen/heard of linen covered scabbards.....very intriguing...I will look into that further. I am working on a scabbard for my Squire Line Clontarf and want to do something different from leather, maybe.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: