Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Michael Pikula LongSeaxProduct Review Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Greg E

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Sat 30 Nov, 2013 8:41 pm    Post subject: Michael Pikula LongSeax         Reply with quote

Michael Pikula LongSeax from www.Viking-shield.com

Weight - 2 lb. 4.9 oz
Length - 36 5/8"
Blade Length - 31 1/8"
Blade Width at Hilt - 2 1/32" Stays about that width till around 8" from tip where it starts to gradually fall, slowly at first.
POB - 7" from Hilt
Grip Length - 3 1/4"
Spine of Blade - 4.16mm to 4.36mm varies slightly till about 7" from tip, then it narrows to tip.

Very nice sword with plenty of blade presence. It has a thin blade, but is not whippy. It sags less under it's own weight when held on it's side than my Squire Line Albion Viking swords.

The grip is small and unremarkable, but locks in my hand in the 'hammer' grip. A proper 'hand shake' grip eludes me on this piece, but I will find it. The grip itself is a bit thin and narrow to me. I might have to have someone redo it and add a bit of heft to it to make it more 'secure' for me. Another aspect is that the grip or tang might be a bit canted to the side. This will also get looked at. As of now it seems secondary as the sword tracks very well in my right hand grip.

The Type G pommel and guard are very interesting to me. The ends of the curl have been left in forged finish and tucked away inside the curl. I enjoy this aspect of the piece.

The blade is what makes this piece. I have heard of Pikula's blades as being compared to a scalpel or a 3 foot long razor blade. There was even another smith who remarked that he was almost afraid of his blades sharpness and feel. I will say that this is the first blade that I felt needed a lot of extra respect. I usually feel like a kid at Christmas when a new sword, axe or spear arrive. With this piece the first thing I said to my wife when I pulled it out was 'This feels really serious'.

The blade has a satin type of finish on it. On one side near the hilt the blade looks to have a slight ripple in it, but it can be only barely felt.

A picture with my Squire Line Vinland and Windlass Ulfberht sword for scale.

Last edited by Greg E on Sun 01 Dec, 2013 10:12 am; edited 1 time in total
Bruno Giordan

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 01 Dec, 2013 12:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quite lovely piece. I wonder what the distal taper might be on this type of swords, given that you speak of blade presence. Also, wich sources did you use as an inspiration for this piece? It is a sword that i could like to have for myself as well. Congratulations for a great looking piece. Must be a joy cutting with it.
William Swiger

PostPosted: Sun 01 Dec, 2013 12:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Excellent purchase. I had been considering picking that one up as well.
Non Timebo Mala
Greg E

PostPosted: Sun 01 Dec, 2013 7:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

There seems to be not much of any distal taper untill about 8" or so from the tip. Being that the blade is really not very thick to begin with, it still behaves with agility, even with the POB being out so far.

I did not commission this piece. I have seen pictures of the relic type G hilt with a single edged blade that this was based loosely on though. The hilt type is intriguing to me. This was, believe it or not, found at www.Vikingshield.com in their Viking Seax and knives section. I would think that if it had been in the sword section it would have been sold long before now. And at $850 I am surprised it lasted as long as it did.

As for the thumbnail pictures in my post. If you click on one it will expand a bit. Then if you click on the small magnifying glass icon a couple of times, it will enlarge the picture more.
J.D. Crawford

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 02 Dec, 2013 11:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Seaxy and you know it!

Thanks for snapping this up. It was tempting me for a long time, although my better judgement said its not really a fit with my high-medieval collection

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Michael Pikula LongSeaxProduct Review
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic