Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Free book available Sunday Nov 24 Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Gordon Alexander

PostPosted: Sat 23 Nov, 2013 7:00 am    Post subject: Free book available Sunday Nov 24         Reply with quote

I have read thousands of pages of history and science as research for this story. It is a time-travel story somewhat along the lines of Stargate, except that the expeditions are led not by a Col. O'Neil, but by a socially challenged convict with lots of latitude.

For me it's mostly about fun “what if's”. Things like how would a fellow in a lightly-armored vacuum suit with a smallsword (among other, less favored weapons) fare when confronted by Sassanid cataphracts.

Unfortunately, my melee martial arts experience is all vicarious and even then not very deep, so I had to be a bit vague and/or fanciful about some of the action there. I also had to be rather vague about a rapier duel. I did read and watch a lot about rapier fencing, but have yet to grasp much of it, and I apologize for that.

Most of the other “what ifs” are technological and historical interventions.

The narrator is sort of a composite between an omniscient and the perspective of one or more of the characters in each scene, so even if I know correct terminology, the narrator is sometimes a bit off. Maybe also don't judge me too harshly for a character saying something like "Thrusting is a more efficient way of attacking, regardless." Especially since that character says it simply to placate another.

Thanks for your help with my understanding of arms and armor. Feel free to pm or email me with your criticisms to help improve the book and my writing in general. If you find anything to recommend the book in its current form, I would appreciate a brief rating/review on Amazon also.

Oh, and thanks to Craig Johnson who showed me around the A&A shop so that my exposure to melee weapons wasn't 100% vicarious. I think they need to get some Feng Shui or flowers or something going in there, though Wink

http://www.myArmoury.com/books/item.B00GK5NEPW.html

Thanks,
Gordon Alexander
aka Vic Nighthorse
Gordon Alexander

PostPosted: Sun 24 Nov, 2013 4:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Penitent bump. This will be the one and only.
Bruno Giordan

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 24 Nov, 2013 1:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Best wishes to your book. What a pity that i'm based in Italy, so the book is not available there.
Gregg Sobocinski

Reading list: 12 books

PostPosted: Sun 24 Nov, 2013 6:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Book looks interesting. No kindle with which I could view it. Good luck with the book.
Neil Langley

PostPosted: Sun 24 Nov, 2013 6:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gregg Sobocinski wrote:
Book looks interesting. No kindle with which I could view it. Good luck with the book.

Gregg, did you know that Amazon has apps for most platforms to let you read kindle books? Just download one for your chosen platform: http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?docId=1000493771

Neil

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Free book available Sunday Nov 24
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic