Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Albion's newest sword Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Dave Hahn

PostPosted: Fri 17 Oct, 2003 7:10 pm    Post subject: Albion's newest sword         Reply with quote

I've always wanted this sword. Ever since Bjorn posted it on the forum way back in the day. Now Albion has the nerve to put it out there.

why are weddings so expensive?

blast it all!

Eek!

Try not to take yourself too seriously.
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Fri 17 Oct, 2003 10:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Oh to be r-e-a-l wealthy.

It does at least look wonderful though.

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Markus Haider

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 18 Oct, 2003 12:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

3200, - USD.
Far, far out of my reach, even if I would use the "sword money" of three years. Sad

Maybe I can afford the Brescia (with scabbard) some day...

Last edited by Markus Haider on Sat 18 Oct, 2003 1:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Björn Hellqvist
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Sat 18 Oct, 2003 3:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

While $2500 is pricey, I remember Peter quoting a price of c. $5800 if he was to forge one as a custom job. There's been a lot of research that has gone into that one, and anyone who has handled his Svante can attest that it is a excellent, dramatic sword.
Dave Hahn

PostPosted: Sat 18 Oct, 2003 9:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

i wonder what the Albion version will look like.

scabbards are nice, and they do complete the package. but than again, i'd like that sunroof, 17" rims, leather interior package on my car too.

sometimes you gotta sacrifice to get that sword you really want!

Try not to take yourself too seriously.
Ken Jay

PostPosted: Sat 18 Oct, 2003 9:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Eek! Wonderful indeed! Albion is doing great stuff. MY problem is that the prices have escalated beyond my willingness to spend for a blade. Sad I'll have to settle for the mid-range critters. Cool
Allan Senefelder
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 19 Oct, 2003 8:00 am    Post subject: Albions new sword         Reply with quote

Hello all,

Hope i'm doing this right as i'm terrifyingly computer illiterate and had to have Harlan show me how to sign up .
I used to collect period arms and armour quite heavily a few years back and handled a faire quantity of period blades
through my dealings . Additionally i've had the luxury of sampling all the blades Harlan has collected over the years
and spending the weekend in Wisconson doing nothing but playing with Peters swords . I would'nt think twice about
dropping $2500 on the Svante ( and knock on wood will in the future ) . The only difference betweeh Peter's work and
the period blades i've had the privilage to hold in terms of feel ( or i suppose aura is more accurate ) is four to five
hundered years . Just my opinion which is worth what you paid for it .
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Sun 19 Oct, 2003 12:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I don't think any of us are questioning the value of the work or our desire to possess it. We are lamenting our inability to afford it. For some it is a question of budget, for others priority, for others a question of have sword or have wife (or at least grief from wife).

Never a question of product qualtiy or worth.

Even in the photos I can see details that are commonly omitted by other makers. I just hope that there is a large enough collector market to support this endeavor since the end result really is spectacular. I also hope that there is continued trickle down to price points I can engage.

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Joel Whitmore

PostPosted: Sun 19 Oct, 2003 3:43 pm    Post subject: NO doubt it's worth every penny....         Reply with quote

Björn Hellqvist wrote:
While $2500 is pricey, I remember Peter quoting a price of c. $5800 if he was to forge one as a custom job. There's been a lot of research that has gone into that one, and anyone who has handled his Svante can attest that it is a excellent, dramatic sword.

HEHE We are just whining about being not able to affor one Bjorn Worried Of course there are those of us would have every sword cost $10 in our wicked little world. If I had the $5800 I would not hesitate to ask Peter to make a custom for me. It's an absolutely gorgeous sword and one, like many on here, I have been after since I saw Peter's work on your website. It's always wonderful to have a true reproduction os a famous sword made with accuracy and attention to detail. WAY TO GO ALBION!
Björn Hellqvist
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Sun 19 Oct, 2003 4:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

While we all would like to have loads of more money, I would like to put Albion's prices into perspective. True, the top-grade swords cost a bit more than most of us can shell out on short notice, but considering that they are truly excellent, one gets a lot of bang for the buck. Compare the $2,500 for the Svante with the $10,000 asked for this sword:

True, it is a one-of-a-kind sword, and a lot of work has gone into it (including the granite (!!!) grip, but it is basically a decorative art sword. The Svante won't be a custom sword per se, but it will perform just as well as the original, and at a price that will make it accessible for those who want it, but cannot afford to go custom.
Brian M

PostPosted: Sun 19 Oct, 2003 6:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Heh Heh...
I wonder where the PoB is with granite grips....

Brian M
Allan Senefelder
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 19 Oct, 2003 6:12 pm    Post subject: Albions newest sword         Reply with quote

Newly made Japanese blades with mounts routinely go for the same price and more . This kind of serious treatment
of the European sword is overdue and simply I think priced accordingly . Harlan explains it as "will you regret not
buying it more than you'll regret buying it ?"Course thats comming from a guy who just bought his second PJ .
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Sun 19 Oct, 2003 6:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

No question that the (Albion) Svante is worth the price. I have a custom Cashen coming (someday) that will be in a similar neighborhood, however it took two face to face meetings with him and about a year to talk myself and my wife into it. Someday I hope to aspire to something like This from the Albion/Peter partnership but today is not the day (for me).

Still, I would dearly love to see one of these first hand as I'm sure the attention to deal is amazing. There is no question that having $2500 on hand, I would satisfy curiosity first hand whenever I wanted to in the future.

Joel Whitmore

PostPosted: Sun 19 Oct, 2003 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Albions newest sword         Reply with quote

Allan Senefelder wrote:
Newly made Japanese blades with mounts routinely go for the same price and more . This kind of serious treatment
of the European sword is overdue and simply I think priced accordingly . Harlan explains it as "will you regret not
buying it more than you'll regret buying it ?"Course thats comming from a guy who just bought his second PJ .

Japanese blades are highly priced because they are high sought after. NOt that the artists and craftsmen who make them are not skilled. I in no way mean to imply that. However, the Japanese blade has developed a mystique and art collectability over the years that drives the price up compared to a comparable Eruopean blade. My personal belief is that the craft of making the katana was so ritualized that it became part of the Japanese culture, whereas the European blade moved on inot other forms to fit the battlefield and styles of the times. Is the Albion Svante worth as much as the asking price? You bet it is. HOwever, I don't think the European swordmaker will ever match the prices fetched by some contemporary Japanese makers (some as high as $50,000 or more) unless the swords has special significance. Like Allan, I think it's about time that people like Peter J are able to sell their swords for prices that can pay for the meticulous research and kilometers of travel needed to copy so exactly and original as the Svante. I hope that one day our European heritage is brought inot he full light of day and non-collectors can appreciate the talent that medieval and renaissance swordmakes possessed.
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sun 19 Oct, 2003 9:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

"HOwever, I don't think the European swordmaker will ever match the prices fetched by some contemporary Japanese makers (some as high as $50,000 or more) "

Thank goodness for we collectors Wink
Allan Senefelder
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 20 Oct, 2003 6:08 am    Post subject: Albion newest sword         Reply with quote

I think perhaps i've done a bad job of expressing myself myself although Joel went a ways twords what I was endevoring to get at regarding the serious treatment of European sword . The Svante was the sword of a man who when Sweden
had the guy who ran the country next door over did the talking . It was not a muntions blade and mount issued to the average shmuck but a one of a kind piece commisioned by him . Some one has gone to the trouble to exhaustingly
document and faithfully reproduce that weapon . Thats whats meant by serious treatment . Joels correct about the
mythos and demand around the Japanese blade ( that whole shinto shrine in the sword makers shoppe . same
for armour makers . that sense of spirtual oneness with that which is being made ) that has it percieved differently
in the collection arena .
Joachim Nilsson

PostPosted: Mon 20 Oct, 2003 6:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The Svante is well worth the price. I've handled PJ's "original reconstruction" and it is nothing less than magical. Eek! Big Grin Perfect weight distribution, perfect size, perfect handling, perfect everything. Yes, I'm head over heels in love with that sword and I'm definately getting one. No matter the cost.

Which basically means..... No more fun activities, movies, books, drinking for me... Just gotta have that sword... Just gotta....
Fredrik Hörnell

PostPosted: Mon 20 Oct, 2003 5:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joachim Nilsson wrote:

Which basically means..... No more fun activities, movies, books, drinking for me... Just gotta have that sword... Just gotta....

Go for it! Wink
I know it´s worth it.

"One sword to rule them all, one sword to bind them,
one sword to halfsword them and into oblivion - cut them!"
J.G. Grubbs

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Thu 23 Oct, 2003 2:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've always loved that sword....Oh for the lottery win to come my way!

Regards,

"The reputation of a thousand years may be determined by the conduct of one hour."
Samurai Proverb

James Grubbs
Manny G

PostPosted: Fri 24 Oct, 2003 4:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I seriously considered getting this sword...

And that is enough to say.

Look away, look away!
Big Grin Eek! Happy

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Albion's newest sword
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: