Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Darkswords new axes on KOA...Thoughts? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Mark Moore

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Thu 14 Nov, 2013 8:00 pm    Post subject: Darkswords new axes on KOA...Thoughts?         Reply with quote

Just saw the new axe offerings from Darksword on KOA in the new additions section. Go take a look, and let's hear a thought or two. I have mine, but I'll reserve them until another post or two comes in. Wink ..............McM
Greg E

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Thu 14 Nov, 2013 9:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The Viking axes are way too heavy. The blade on the two hander Viking doesn't look like any I have seen from pictures of artifacts.
William Swiger

PostPosted: Thu 14 Nov, 2013 9:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I will have to pass on these. In all honesty, would rather give my money to another maker or company like BKS or A&A who makes similar products and has a more solid reputation in our community.

Mark - are these advertised as made in Canada or imported?

Non Timebo Mala
Mark Moore

PostPosted: Thu 14 Nov, 2013 9:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

William, I have no idea. All I know is this: After seeing this, I wonder if Darksword is trying to cut it's own throat. Where the WTF?! did this stuff come from? Some of them look okay, but the assembly is awful. Sorry if I step on any Darksword toes here....but these are pathetic attempts at arms that could really be great. I'm done with my rant now, after my couple of requested posts, Eek! ..............McM
Mark Moore

PostPosted: Thu 14 Nov, 2013 9:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

FWIW: I do not intend this thread to be an attack on Darksword. I simply look for opinions on the new products. I have no previous or current affiliations with DSA. Big Grin ............McM
Tom King

PostPosted: Thu 14 Nov, 2013 10:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

the "14th century bardiche" looked pretty good, up til reading the description.

Namely
Quote:
Although this item is listed as battle ready, it is not guaranteed that the wooden haft will not break under use when striking against a hard object. The axehead is strong, but the wooden haft is not crafted from the harder woods ideal for this object. Also, the head can rattle, as the top part of the blade is secured to the haft with a filler insert and the pinned section can have some slight movement.

and the weight at over 8lbs, although it is MASSIVE with a 30" long blade. I don't have that many period pieces to reference, but it seems a bit... comically huge when compared to every museum example and repro I've seen.

The eye shape seems good, but ^ as far as construction and build quality is not.

Considering both BKS and A&A have similar, bulletproof offerings, if i intended do living history as an imperial russian musketeer I'd look elsewhere.

As with most of what DSA seems to be coming out with, they've priced themselves out of the market. There are 4 other cheaper options of similar and better quality in the same (and lower) price bracket.

I wouldn't buy it, which is sad because I really would like DSA to be to the quality they aspire to. A more competitive market is always better, but they haven't gotten to the point of being able to compete with windlass, hanwei, etc. let alone the heavy hitters in this niche market.
Mark Moore

PostPosted: Fri 15 Nov, 2013 5:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You pretty much took all the words out of my mouth, Tom. I hope DSA has a lot of shelf space, because I don't see these going too fast. Such a pity. Cry .............McM
Raymond Deancona

PostPosted: Fri 15 Nov, 2013 5:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have to say with all the disclaimers from KoA, as well as the pricing, not going to buy. What I find interesting is the large Viking axe looks a lot like a VERY old CSA Iberia piece (back from the 90's) even the way it was mounted is the same - drill through with a rivet or carriage bolt. Hanwei's current selection I think is a MUCH better choice, both for price and quality. Besides, if I am going to spend that kind of money on an axe might as well call A&A or Baltimore Knife and Sword!
William Swiger

PostPosted: Fri 15 Nov, 2013 8:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

With the disclaimer about the wooden haft quality, I am curious where they are sourced from.
Non Timebo Mala
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Fri 15 Nov, 2013 8:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Why would DSA select a type of wood for the haft that isn't strong enough for the weapon to be used? At least they were nice enough to warn people about it. The same part on their website does not have the warning.
Bryan Heff

PostPosted: Fri 15 Nov, 2013 1:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Roger Hooper wrote:
Why would DSA select a type of wood for the haft that isn't strong enough for the weapon to be used? At least they were nice enough to warn people about it. The same part on their website does not have the warning.

I noticed the same thing. At least KoA is alerting potential buyers that the thing could be dangerous if used.
Jean Thibodeau

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Sat 16 Nov, 2013 1:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bryan Heff wrote:
Roger Hooper wrote:

I noticed the same thing. At least KoA is alerting potential buyers that the thing could be dangerous if used.

Or needs to be re-hafted with better wood of known quality and strait grain.

These might be interesting if sold as heads only, and if their weight was more realistic if they are as heavy as I read.

My BKS Bardiche weighs in at 5 lb. including the haft I made for it and the head alone is 3.5 lb.: Mine feels heavy but manageable but I can only imagine how ponderous it would be at 8 or more pounds !

The fitting to the shaft is very unprecise looking and sloppy, and although I really like the profile of the 14th century Bardiche the eye seems like a crude in appearance assembly compared to the smooth lines of the BKS that at least " Look" like it was forged together rather than welded on and the joint left very visibly " unblended " on the Darksword version.

Now at half the price, or even 2/3 the price it might be a good head for a DIY project, assuming that the metallurgy and assembly is sound with very good welds.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!

Last edited by Jean Thibodeau on Sat 16 Nov, 2013 1:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Greg Ballantyne

PostPosted: Sat 16 Nov, 2013 8:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

When similar axes are available from more proven makers at comparable pricing, I would not be interested in these. I already have experience with one DSA product, and that experience will lead me to choose another maker anyway.
Mark Moore

PostPosted: Sat 16 Nov, 2013 9:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I agree with you, Jean. If I could purchase the head only...I MIGHT be interested in the Norse Viking. I like the long pointed beard, and I think it would make a pretty cool fantasy/barbarian/dragonslayer-ish custom project. As is, though....that wood looks mighty suspiscious. Too bad we may never know, because I know of no one here on this forum foolish enough to spend that kind of money for something like what is offered here. Laughing Out Loud ............McM
Jason McEntee

PostPosted: Sat 16 Nov, 2013 1:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'll echo what others have said regarding the 14th Century Bardiche. When I first saw it, it appealed to me, but after reading KOA's disclaimer and the weight, no thanks. Too bad, it's a mean looking weapon.
"You see, a sword is three feet of tempered steel---with death dancing on every inch, and hanging like a dark star on the very point."
--Ronald Lacey, as Oswald, from Sword Of The Valiant, 1984
Mark Moore

PostPosted: Sat 16 Nov, 2013 3:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yup....I'll hold my pennies for a BKS or A&A.......This is a damn cryin' shame. With just the tiniest bit of effort from DSA, I MIGHT have bought one of these. Sorry boys....foul ball. Confused ............McM
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Sat 16 Nov, 2013 4:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The wood is mentioned as ash in this thread.

http://www.sword-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=17827

Cheers

GC
Victor R.

Reading list: 4 books

PostPosted: Sat 16 Nov, 2013 8:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Glen A Cleeton wrote:

Cheers

GC

As in "what do you call pine after you burn it?"... It is clearly suggested by KoA that the wood isn't a hardwood at all. I think I trust the KoA folks much more than I trust Robert Marks...
William Swiger

PostPosted: Sun 17 Nov, 2013 2:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

From my understanding Robert is a PR guy for DSA and relays what DSA (Eyal) tells him. From some other posts, Robert had stated he had not been to the DSA shop before.
Non Timebo Mala
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Sun 17 Nov, 2013 5:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Victor R. wrote:
Glen A Cleeton wrote:

Cheers

GC

As in "what do you call pine after you burn it?"... It is clearly suggested by KoA that the wood isn't a hardwood at all. I think I trust the KoA folks much more than I trust Robert Marks...

Simply linked for completeness of available information and in no way meant to dissuade any from making their own conclusions. Especially so if no one in this thread has actually handled one. Opinion and speculation are one thing and I would hardly be the first to call out DSA ad copy, I simply added the thread link as what was mentioned by Robert Marks. Maybe he will care to respond. Or not.

Cheers

GC

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Darkswords new axes on KOA...Thoughts?
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: